Is 'plastic rice' for real? ..

• Thread starter Sai Jai
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 10
  • Views: Views 1,533

Sai Jai

Reaction score
HY07PLASTICRICE1

Telangana Civil Supplies Department flooded with complaints about hotels using 'plastic rice' in their food items

The Telangana Civil Supplies Department is being flooded with complaints about hotels in the twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad using 'plastic rice' in their food items. Samples have been collected from various hotels to verify the claims. And this is not limited to Telangana alone. Over the past few years, rumours of 'plastic rice' being sold have been doing the rounds and a public interest litigation was even filed before the Delhi High Court .

The origin

The term 'plastic rice' first surfaced in China in 2010. Dubbed the Wuchang rice scandal, Chinese officials unearthed a scam by companies who passed off ordinary rice as premium Wuchang rice by adding flavours to it. The Wuchang rice, known for its unique aroma, is exported to various nations. Chinese traders are believed to have made a huge profit through this scam.

In 2011, a report by The Korea Times said: “Some distributors are selling fake rice in Taiyuan, Shaanxi Province, and this rice is a mixture of potatoes, sweet potatoes and plastic.” Needless to say, the report mentioned in detail the hazards of eating synthetic resin. Thus the term 'plastic rice' came into existence.

The BBC, last December, reported that a huge shipment of 'plastic rice' was seized in Nigeria, making it the first major confiscation. Days later, Nigeria ruled out plastic in the confiscated shipment. “The rice was contaminated with bacteria,” Nigeria's National Agency For Food and Drugs said.

Read More

Is 'plastic rice' for real?

Apdina thambi?? :blush:blush

Means bro??

The day when we respect farmers and if farmers get their correct value for their product that time only we will get products in good quality else this kind of cheap products and unreal products will keep popping up.

I'm really afraid of buying fruits nowadays because most of them are hybrids specially banana and papaya :wall

Last edited:
It is fake I think. Plastic rice will be costlier than normal one.

The day when we respect farmers and if farmers get their correct value for their product that time only we will get products in good quality else this kind of cheap products and unreal products will keep popping up.

I'm really afraid of buying fruits nowadays because most of them are hybrids specially banana and papaya :wall

Exactly

According to News 24 Plastic Rice Also Found in West Bengal, Vadodra, Mumbai & Uttrakhand. Plastic Rice coming from China they say

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock