If I upgrade my current laptop, how long will it last?

Reaction score
My laptop is i5. 1 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM. I am thinking about upgrading it with 1 TB SSD and 8 GB extra RAM. If I do that how long will this laptop last? The cost of this upgrade will be ~150$ in nepal. Will it be worth upgrading? Yes or no? Please guide a bit.

It is i5 7th generation laptop.

I will use my laptop for web development or app development jobs.

By what much should I upgrade my laptop 256 GB SSD and 8 GB RAM is that enough? How long will that laptop last? Should I upgrade or buy a new laptop?

My laptop is i5. 1 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM. I am thinking about upgrading it with 1 TB SSD and 8 GB extra RAM. If I do that how long will this laptop last? The cost of this upgrade will be ~150$ in nepal. Will it be worth upgrading? Yes or no? Please guide a bit.

It is i5 7th generation laptop.

I will use my laptop for web development or app development jobs.

By what much should I upgrade my laptop 256 GB SSD and 8 GB RAM is that enough? How long will that laptop last? Should I upgrade or buy a new laptop?
Better to purchase new laptop with latest specs & generation for work purpose.

I think buying 256 gb ssd will work for u. It cost only inr 3000. Even if u don’t like performance then u can sell it also. From my personal experience i can say that ssd do wonders over hdd.

By what much should I upgrade my laptop 256 GB SSD and 8 GB RAM is that enough?
Yes, that should be enough.

How long will that laptop last?
You can get at least another 2-3 years out of it easily without any problem.

Should I upgrade or buy a new laptop?
If your work doesn't require high processing power, then no need to upgrade.
If the only problem is slow booting and opening app speeds, then upgrading to SSD should fix it.

My laptop is dell inspiron i5 5567 7th generation 1TB HDD 8 GB RAM laptop.I purchased this 4 years ago for university.

Currently the problems in laptop are-:
1) 100% disk usage and laptop kind of freezes, when I click nth happens, when I try to scroll, nth happens, no reaction by laptop.

2) Even without 100% disk usage same thing happens.

What I tried-:
Every method for fixing 100% disk usage. I haven't left a single tutorial or forum qna. That is how far I have gone really. I am yet to format and install windows though.

Q1) Any advice on that?

What I am planning to do-:

1) Upgrade SSD 2.5'' sata ssd is what I support in laptop..256 GB. My harddisk is 500 GB full.

2) Upgrade 8 GB RAM to 16 GB RAM by adding another 8 GB RAM.

But is this really necessary at all? Can this problem be fixed by repairing in workshop?

Any way to repair this? You have idea to fix this freezing?

I have no option to buy a laptop as my family don't have 1200$ currently to buy a laptop. It is a possibility only after 2+ years really.

Workload-: Simply reading pdf. I need to open 30-40 tabs at once. That is why I am thinking of adding RAM. As well as I stream myself(cams on) on discord server for motivation. So you can imagine my RAM usage.

I will definitly need this laptop to learn programming as well. But it is all basic programming learning like web development mostly not advanced. So I don't need hi-fi laptops.

IWTL if I should upgrade(and if upgrading helps or not), or just repair myself? I won't go to shop to repair as my family won't allow me to do it. So tell me some tutorials to repair if(software part not hardware).

For upgrading you don't need to take it to Repair shop, you can do it for yourself, Search in youtube, all you need is a multi screwdriver set that costs around 100 INR. You can get it from any local electronics shops or online.

256GB SSD + 12GB (8+4) should do wonders, also make sure that the fan is cleaned properly to remove any dust that got accumulated over years.

256Gb = 2500 INR around
4Gb ram = 1500-2000 INR around (Or may be get 8 gb if budget allows)

As windows 10 is supported until Oct 2025, you should be able to use the laptop till then based on the current condition of it.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock