Seeking Help I nearly escaped a UPI scam

Thanks a lot bro for your advice! I read somewhere that the bank issues a new debit card once they'll unfreeze the account is that true? And would it be a good option if I change the current registered mobile no. so that I've no link with the old no. whatsoever?
The bank might keep your account frozen until they complete an investigation from their side as to what actually happened here and how to avoid this in this future. As there is no actual monetary loss in your case, it might take sooner rather than later. Just keep calling your bank every 4 days or so, and ask them when you will get your account back. Also, request them to provide you a new Debit Card in the mean time, so that you could access your money until your account is unfrozen. They most probably will help you out with that.

And Yeah. Changing the Registered Mobile Number is probably a good idea. But only if you have already have another number that you can use from your dual sim phone. I don't think you would want to get a new number (in place of your old number) just for this purpose. You would then have to give that new number to all the contacts in your phone. That would be a waste of your time and energy.

I guess, as long as your bank changes your UPI Id and issues you a new Debit Card, you should be good to go. Anyway, convey this concern to your bank contact when you go there. They would be in a better position than me to give you the right advice on this. Most probably, they might say it doesn't matter.

Whatever they say, please let us all know the list of things you end up changing. It would be a guide for the rest of us :)

The bank might keep your account frozen until they complete an investigation from their side as to what actually happened here and how to avoid this in this future. As there is no actual monetary loss in your case, it might take sooner rather than later. Just keep calling your bank every 4 days or so, and ask them when you will get your account back. Also, request them to provide you a new Debit Card in the mean time, so that you could access your money until your account is unfrozen. They most probably will help you out with that.

And Yeah. Changing the Registered Mobile Number is probably a good idea. But only if you have already have another number that you can use from your dual sim phone. I don't think you would want to get a new number (in place of your old number) just for this purpose. You would then have to give that new number to all the contacts in your phone. That would be a waste of your time and energy.

I guess, as long as your bank changes your UPI Id and issues you a new Debit Card, you should be good to go. Anyway, convey this concern to your bank contact when you go there. They would be in a better position than me to give you the right advice on this. Most probably, they might say it doesn't matter.

Whatever they say, please let us all know the list of things you end up changing. It would be a guide for the rest of us :)
The bank representative told me that they'll simply issue me a new card once I visit their branch with a photo id proof and all..And yeah I've one more sim which is already linked to another bank.. I'll change the registered mobile no. to that.. I'll update you all as I'll proceed with the process..Be rest assured I'll keep you updated so that no one can fall again for these fraudsters ever..

I informed Cyber Crime dept too that day and they told me that they'd be visiting me today to further enquire more.. Let's see

I am sharing my experience of change of mobile number in bank account.

I changed my mobile number in my hdfc bank.
I was also using Google pay /Tez (I am not using it now) with that account.

After changing mobile number, I was getting messages of UPI transactions on new number, but Google pay cashback transaction messages coming to old number.

I contacted Google pay customer care. On call of over 10 minutes, they checked with developer team and find that there is no issue from their end.

Then, I contacted HDFC bank by email. Initially, they weren't able to find issue. But, after 8-10 followup emails, issue was found and resolved by bank.

I have a doubt in my mind..Is it possible to link one bank account with two different numbers? Like how would that scammer be able to change my existing UPI pin with a new one.. Won't he need the old UPI pin to reset it or just an sms is enough to make a new UPI pin? Please clarify bros

I have a doubt in my mind..Is it possible to link one bank account with two different numbers? Like how would that scammer be able to change my existing UPI pin with a new one.. Won't he need the old UPI pin to reset it or just an sms is enough to make a new UPI pin? Please clarify bros
I don't think we can link a bank account to 2 mobile numbers. If they allow that, the bank software would be confused as to which number to send the OTPs to.

As far as UPI Id goes, if you or your bank generates a new Id for your account, I believe your old UPI Id will automatically become invalid (mostly because UPI Ids are unique, and one account could have only 1 functioning UPI Id from your bank at any given point in time?). As such, the fraudster cannot change it to a new one. This is just my guess. I have not used UPI yet. So my understanding on that is limited.

Last edited:
I don't think we can link a bank account to 2 mobile numbers. If they allow that, the bank software would be confused as to which number to send the OTPs to.

As far as UPI Id goes, if you or your bank generates a new Id for your account, I believe your old UPI Id will automatically become invalid (mostly because UPI Ids are unique, and one account could have only 1 functioning UPI Id from your bank at any given point in time?). As such, the fraudster cannot change it to a new one. This is just my guess. I have not used UPI yet. So my understanding on that is limited.
You're absolutely correct bro! When I got the UPI registration has started SMS..He sent me a link of some form I think which I further investigated on Google and find out that they create some genuine payment desk like page where there is an option of inputting our existing UPI pin.. That's why he called me again which I disconnected..After which through my card details I did reset the pin again.

I guess it has to do with the fact that most of our cards (be it Debit Card, or even a Credit Card) are enabled for "International Transactions". Thing is, whenever we do online transactions on a non Indian website, we DO NOT receive any OTP for that transaction. This is what internet fraudsters take advantage of.

Most of the banks today have an option in their Internet Banking Website to:

1) Completely turn OFF International Transactions for our Debit Card / Account.

2) Keep it ON, but set a limit for International Transactions. Like 2000 or 4000 Rupees per day.

Personally, I have it turned OFF for my bank account. I turn it ON only when I am about to make a transaction on an International Website. Then I turn it OFF again, immediately after the transaction.
How to turn off a netbanking account with sbi?

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock