Seeking Help HDD Fail Warning on Dell Inspiron Windows 10 Laptop

• Thread starter TJ_DJ
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 22
  • Views: Views 4,197
Some advice here isn't good at all. SMART warning aren't usually triggered by any event that is repairable or recoverable. SMART is a way of self testing the hard disk for signs of health deterioration and alerting the user before the hard disk fails and the data is lost. Don't attempt any software tools as they aren't gonna work is the SMART warning is true.

Cloning is as id*otic suggestion if you are working on conserving the Windows license. Just install a new hard disk and install Windows 10 again, it won't ask for key using the setup and the moment you connect to the internet, it's gonna activate itself.

I have performed repairs on computers with failing hard disk multiple times, SMART warning are rarely false-positives and the deterioration increases exponentially once the warning has been triggered. Back up your HDD and replace it as it will be toast soon.

Some advice here isn't good at all. SMART warning aren't usually triggered by any event that is repairable or recoverable. SMART is a way of self testing the hard disk for signs of health deterioration and alerting the user before the hard disk fails and the data is lost. Don't attempt any software tools as they aren't gonna work is the SMART warning is true.

Cloning is as id*otic suggestion if you are working on conserving the Windows license. Just install a new hard disk and install Windows 10 again, it won't ask for key using the setup and the moment you connect to the internet, it's gonna activate itself.

I have performed repairs on computers with failing hard disk multiple times, SMART warning are rarely false-positives and the deterioration increases exponentially once the warning has been triggered. Back up your HDD and replace it as it will be toast soon.
I know, too much to ask for, but is 7 years a good time for life of a 750GB SATA HDD ?

I know, too much to ask for, but is 7 years a good time for life of a 750GB SATA HDD ?
Some hard disk keep chugging around even after 15 years but as a rule of thumb, hard drives are mechanical components where tolerances are very tight in order of nano-meters between the head and the platter. Time definitely takes it toll on any hard disk and once you start reaching 10 year mark, you should be extra careful in backing up data.

There is no hard and fast rule for determining failure. Any small mistake in manufacturing & design, and the HDD would fail even after month of purchase. You should always backup content which cannot be replaced such as your memories even if you are using any solid state memory device.

More than good enough. My first 250GB Seagate HDD came for 7 years as well. I hadn't backed up anything and I lost everything from school and college years.
My second 1TB HDD corrupted in a year. Local shop guy I bought it from refused to replace it.
The third 1TB HDD is on its 3rd year now.
Backup the things you want on 2 or 3 drives, DVDs, online storage, etc. Its way more cheaper to backup than to recover.

Thanks guys, I have already backed up all important documents, files, photos and any other required artefacts. I am more concerned now about getting my laptop back to running as normal.
CHKDSK running for 24 hours stuck at Stage 4 around 4%. The progress is really slow. I might just cancel it as I dont see it helping much.

Thanks guys, I have already backed up all important documents, files, photos and any other required artefacts. I am more concerned now about getting my laptop back to running as normal.
CHKDSK running for 24 hours stuck at Stage 4 around 4%. The progress is really slow. I might just cancel it as I dont see it helping much.
24 hours! Sounds not normal. I think you should cancel it and do a surface test by using minitool partition manager.

I hadn't backed up anything and I lost everything from school and college years.
My second 1TB HDD corrupted in a year.
I can feel the pain.. same happened to me few years ago..
Now I backup regularly on external + online.

I can feel the pain.. same happened to me few years ago..
Now I backup regularly on external + online.
Yes, we are becoming too dependent on machines now. We seldom realise that they may fail anytime. Hence, I have been keeping a backup always. Will update you guys on the progress of my Laptop, but looks like I will have to get a new HDD and then take things forward. Any suggestions on where may I buy? Is online preferred for Laptop HDDs?

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock