• Start date
  • Replies: Replies 33
  • Views: Views 5,894

iDJ

Elite
Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
The Union Cabinet has approved a Rs 1.64-lakh crore revival package for the government-owned Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL), said Ashwini Vaishnaw, the minister for telecom, on July 27.

The package will have three main elements - it will aim at improving the quality of BSNL services, will be used to de-stress the balance sheet, and will expand the company's fiber reach by merging Bharat Broadband Network Limited (BBNL) with it.

State run companies are cancer made to bleed out our economy. This government likes to privatise everything. When it comes to BSNL. It always got some or other plan to revive. What a pity.

The Union Cabinet has approved a Rs 1.64-lakh crore revival package for the government-owned Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL), said Ashwini Vaishnaw, the minister for telecom, on July 27.

The package will have three main elements - it will aim at improving the quality of BSNL services, will be used to de-stress the balance sheet, and will expand the company's fiber reach by merging Bharat Broadband Network Limited (BBNL) with it.

It is an effort to wake a dying white elephant up!

Last edited:
When Jio and Airtel aggressively expands in smaller cities and towns. While local players flourishes. That overpriced Bharat Fiber will end.

Sorry bro... I beg to differ. First in a light note, "If Govt sells Public sector Co (even if its heavily loss making one like Air India), then its wrong. If Govt doesn't sell another loss making Public Sector Co, then also it is wrong???"

But I can understand and also agree with your frustration in this case. I also had my own share of bad experiences (like most of us all here) in BSNL -- Bhai Shab Nahi Lagega. But, STILL...

Actually there are two three reasons, Govt is NOT selling off BSNL.
First being, who will buy, along with their WONDERFUL STAFF ???

Second being there will be whole lot of hue, cry and backlash from opposition parties, esp communist and their derivatives, Employees' Union(s), Wonderful Media (who ALL just love to make their readers worry -- whatever bad or even Good happens). This the ruling party will never want when their election is within a year.

Third and THE most important one is, Govt want to promote Local made Tech for Telecom and they want to use BSNL for that (which the good for nothing most of the staff opposes as usual) -- which is a long term vision, a good one I must say. Well, Tata is going to benefit a lot from this. But why not ??? Ambanis and Adanis will never do this (at least for now). Only Crazy good people like Tatas can do this and I support them. The final result for our country will be enormous, HUUUGE.

Further if you see the cash support part, the major one is the Spectrum -- which is NOT a big deal when number of operators are NOT huge like now, imho.

So this is a good news, imho...

Well not selling BSNL and merging with BBNL is more strategic rather than anything else. And there are many reasons for the same:

1. With private operators moving onto 5G and eventually to 6G services - they will reduce effort and money on 4G. As all the private operators are focused on Metro's and cities - the connectivity lags in small towns, villages, rural areas and mountains. With the government pushing adoption of digital services - the growth and transformation expected can be achieved only if we have last mile connectivity.

2. BSNL till date has much better Infrastructure, in comparison to anyone else in the country. If we infuse capital and further strengthen it, it will earn on Roaming and other related services.

3. The future's oil is data and connectivity, and government would never want to be dependent on private operators for it, and would prefer own network to further strengthen the digital initiatives especially in financial sector. Which can be undoing in case they exit out from this space.

Yes, they need to fix issues like pathetic services, disinterested employees and lack of motivation. You never know when the government changes gears and gives both BSNL and BBNL a kick which is very much required to start competing in open market and increase lead in already strongholds. So this is one piece which needs to followed and watch closely as fire works are expected here.

People hate when government selling government owned companies and people again hate when government makes some statements to revive some companies...

Bsnl needs to stay.. It needs to improve...
Private companies work for profits...
If bsnl not present now.. Tribal people don't even know what is wireless phone... Villages don't have fiber broadband...

If government really wants to spend money on bsnl they need to... And in my opinion bsnl need to stop recruiting new employees on permanent basis only recruit on contract with strong review and ratings policies...
Otherwise recruit people on permanent basis with some important rules and ratings policies...
At the end bsnl need to be there as state owned telecom..
If bsnl sinks private operators will play with people

People hate when government selling government owned companies and people again hate when government makes some statements to revive some companies...

Bsnl needs to stay.. It needs to improve...
Private companies work for profits...
If bsnl not present now.. Tribal people don't even know what is wireless phone... Villages don't have fiber broadband...

If government really wants to spend money on bsnl they need to... And in my opinion bsnl need to stop recruiting new employees on permanent basis only recruit on contract with strong review and ratings policies...
Otherwise recruit people on permanent basis with some important rules and ratings policies...
At the end bsnl need to be there as state owned telecom..
If bsnl sinks private operators will play with people
BSNL will never improve. It is not first time that Govt. came to their rescue. In 2019 Govt. pumped in around some thousand crores (I do not remember the figure), offered VRS to their employees and allowed monetisation of their assets worth around 30k crores. Has it improved? Today they are not in position to offer even 4G services while Telecom sector is at the threshold of 5G technology.

While Govt. is selling profit making PSUs like LIC, BPCL and Visakhapatnam Steel, what is the need to use tax payers money of Rs.1.64 lakhs crores on loss making giant?

BSNL will never improve. It is not first time that Govt. came to their rescue. In 2019 Govt. pumped in around some thousand crores (I do not remember the figure), offered VRS to their employees and allowed monetisation of their assets worth around 30k crores. Has it improved? Today they are not in position to offer even 4G services while Telecom sector is at the threshold of 5G technology.

While Govt. is selling profit making PSUs like LIC, BPCL and Visakhapatnam Steel, what is the need to use tax payers money of Rs.1.64 lakhs crores on loss making giant?
Yeah people need to demand about stop selling those entities.. But not to encourage sell other loss making companies..
Generally, state owned firms need to provide service first and profits next... That's my point..
If government sell bsnl infra and all to private companies... Its profitable maybe... But in the end consumer will loose... Already telco is in bad condition in our country... There is no competition there is no quality pricing...
In this phase if bsnl is not there again villages and tribal need to phase pre jio eraaa....

My home village have only two fiber broadband providers bsnl, AP fiber.... Where bsnl is the quality service provider from last two years... Jio, airtel are 5kms away from our village but they don't give connections here because they don't have more customers here.. But bsnl and ap fiber operating....

That's my point.. If bsnl is not there again my village need to use.. Dsl broadband

Last edited:
Sorry bro... I beg to differ. First in a light note, "If Govt sells Public sector Co (even if its heavily loss making one like Air India), then its wrong. If Govt doesn't sell another loss making Public Sector Co, then also it is wrong???"

But I can understand and also agree with your frustration in this case. I also had my own share of bad experiences (like most of us all here) in BSNL -- Bhai Shab Nahi Lagega. But, STILL...

Actually there are two three reasons, Govt is NOT selling off BSNL.
First being, who will buy, along with their WONDERFUL STAFF ???

Second being there will be whole lot of hue, cry and backlash from opposition parties, esp communist and their derivatives, Employees' Union(s), Wonderful Media (who ALL just love to make their readers worry -- whatever bad or even Good happens). This the ruling party will never want when their election is within a year.

Third and THE most important one is, Govt want to promote Local made Tech for Telecom and they want to use BSNL for that (which the good for nothing most of the staff opposes as usual) -- which is a long term vision, a good one I must say. Well, Tata is going to benefit a lot from this. But why not ??? Ambanis and Adanis will never do this (at least for now). Only Crazy good people like Tatas can do this and I support them. The final result for our country will be enormous, HUUUGE.

Further if you see the cash support part, the major one is the Spectrum -- which is NOT a big deal when number of operators are NOT huge like now, imho.

So this is a good news, imho...
Only tata can buy and run consumer biz from BSNL,
consumer means -2g,4g,5g, mobile and bhrat fiber.
bsnl still can continue to serve govt and enterprises segment

second new law will promote more VNO, so tata already having Acess service and VNO license can grab it and most suitable for Super app's biz data collection and data storage center

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock