Eng Tour Of Ind 2011: News & Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter Karthik
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 265
  • Views Views: Views 33,750
Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: England tour of india 2011 : News and updates here.

Matches will be live on neo cricket and dd national.

RE: England tour of india 2011 : News and updates here.

Bell tags India as favourites for ODI series

3xYLR.jpg

Ian Bell says India will be the favourites in the forthcoming five one-day internationals and that the hosts' humbling during the disastrous England tour will amount to nothing.

India were blanked 4-0 in Test series and then went down 3-0 in the ODIs, which has raised doubts over their World Cup status.

Bell said England are expecting a tough challenge from India on their home soil. The ODI series begins on October 14.

"It's going to be a big challenge for us, no doubt," the batsman told Sky Sports News.

"We've played some good cricket. We've made some strides forward with the way we were playing against India in the summer, but it's a massive challenge now to come and do that in India."

"I think India would still be favourites in their own conditions, but we're here to improve and get better. We're looking forward to that challenge," he said.

England's tour features five one-day matches followed by a solitary Twenty20 match, with the action getting underway on Saturday with the first of two warm-up fixtures.

The last time the two sides met in India was in Bangalore during the World Cup, which ended in a dramatic tie.

"We're excited," Bell said. "The World Cup game we had was a great tie, so it's a great way to start the series and we're looking forward to competing really well out here."
Source:cricnews

Hoping to make fresh vigour count

The last time England played a one-day series in India and lost all matches, Kevin Pietersen had scored an unbeaten century. That was in November 2008 in Cuttack, the night of the Mumbai terror attacks that curtailed a seven-match series to five. The last time India played England at
home in Bangalore, in the tied World Cup match, he was in an experimental role as opener before he went home midway into the tournament for a hernia operation. And when England played India at home last month and won everything, Pietersen was ‘rested’ for the limited overs series.

The explosive batsman has had a forgettable run in the 50-over format in the past couple of years but he feels fresh from the break.

Newspaper: Hindustan Times,

Finn's hat-trick helps England beat Hyderabad XI by 56 runs

HYDERABAD: Playing against a Hyderabad XI side in their first practice game, England's batsmen made heavy weather of a modest attack before the bowlers - led by Steven Finn - ensured an auspicious start for Alastair Cook's men.

Finn scalped the last three wickets off successive deliveries to complete a hat-trick as the visitors carved out a 56-run win at the Rajiv Gandhi International Cricket Stadium.

With the bat, though, England were lacklustre and failed to last 50 overs, being bowled out for 219 in 47.2 overs. It took an Indian connection to bail the English team out. Ravi Bopara (73; 82b; 3x4, 1X6) struck a fine half-century and then Chris Woakes remained unbeaten on 46 (59b; 4x4) to help England cross the 200-run mark.

Hyderabad began on a rousing note with young P Akshath Reddy hooking Steven Finn for a first-ball six. However, his belligerence was short-lived as Reddy (7) was run out by Ian Bell and skipper Ravi Teja (1) was castled by Finn.

N Arjun Yadav struck offie Graham Swann for two sixes in consecutive overs but was also run out. His 47 came off 74 balls with three fours and two sixes. Bist (29; 50b, 2x4, 1x6) was the other batsman to impress, adding 55 for the third wicket with Arjun.

Earlier, England were reduced to 47/4 in no time after Alastair Cook won the toss and chose to bat. Bopara and Bairstow then combined well to add 35 for the fifth wicket before the brilliance of Bist put an end to a promising partnership.
Newspaper: Times Of India, 9th Oct

KP was never the right man to captain England: Swann

H1hhj.jpg

LONDON: England off-spinner Graeme Swann has criticised the manner in which Kevin Pietersen led the side during his stint as England captain.

In his new autobiography, 'The Breaks Are Off', Swann has been quoted as saying :"There is no doubt that Kev is a good player, a really fine batsman, but he was never the right man to captain England in my opinion. Some people are better leaders of men and Kev, for all his abundant talent is not one of those natural leaders."

According to a report in the Daily Mail, Swann prefers the calmer leadership style of Strauss, saying that at one point of the Chennai Test in 2008, Pietersen was reduced to screaming "F****** bowl f****** straight at everyone."

"I wouldn't say he was a useless captain, but he wasn't my sort of captain and we've ended up with the right man. I can't really work out why Strauss demands respect, but he does. I've known him a long time but there is a line I won't cross with him that I will cross with anyone else. It's the sign of a good leader. I'm in awe of the way he speaks."

Swann felt that Strauss knew exactly what the bowler was thinking.

"He always seems to press the right buttons with me and says exactly what I'm thinking. He's to the point and meaningful and I'd be really upset with myself if he ever felt it necessary to dress me down," Swann was quoted as saying in the book.
Newspaper:Times Of India,11th Oct

We'll show what we're at home, says Raina

eRLdX.jpg

NEW DELHI: Despite losing the ODI series 3-0 in England, India's Suresh Raina is hopeful that a young team will learn from the experience and give the visiting English team a stiff competition. He spoke about the upcoming ODI series in a freewheeling chat with TOI on Monday

How is the preparation for the England series?

We are very excited. We have done well in the last year or so. We have a young team and the players performed well though we lost the series in England. At home, it's going to be a great experience. We will show England what we are at home.

What went wrong in England?

Rain contributed a lot but as professional you can't complain much. We have to look at our mistakes rather than passing the blame. There were quite a few seniors who missed the ODI series in England, but the youngsters displayed great strength of character to counter England. If you see the results of all the matches, all of them were close games.

With so much cricket being played, how do you manage to motivate yourself and keep yourself fit?

We follow the fitness regime set by the team. I do my meditation everyday. It really helps. You have to tell yourself that you have to score big today. Only then it will happen in reality. You also need to look at your diet and sleeping habit. The best bit is to know when to switch on and off. I am grateful to Gary Kirsten and Paddy Upton for helping me evolve better as a cricketer.

Suresh Raina in coloured clothing was different from what we saw of him in England. Why?

I started off the Test series well. Got some runs at Lord's Test, but failed to score big in the next two matches. I talked with Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid and VVS Laxman and they told me that there was nothing wrong with my approach. So, it was only a matter of time when runs would come. In the one-dayers, I didn't do anything special. I would also like to mention that the England bowlers were very impressive.
Newspaper:Times Of India, 11th Oct

Today eng vs hydrebad one day practise match.
England won the toss and batting first.

I was more surprised than hurt at being dropped: Harbhajan

KsF7H.jpg

NEW DELHI: Off-spinner Harbhajan Singh says he was more surprised than hurt when he was axed from the Indian ODI team for the first two ODIs against England.

"I wouldn't say I was hurt. I was more surprised. I wish the younger guys all the best. I am more than happy to share my experience with them like I was helped by Sachin Tendulkar, Anil Kumble and Sourav Ganguly while I was coming up," Harbhajan said on Wednesday.

Dropped following a lacklustre tour of England, Harbhajan said that despite not being a part of Indian side, he would like to see his teammates take revenge over England in the five-match series, starting on Friday in Hyderabad.

England recently blanked India 0-4 in the Test series before inflicting a humiliating 0-3 defeat in the five-match one-day series at their backyard.

Harbhajan, on his part had a dismal show, as he took only two wickets in 69.4 overs at an average of 143.50 and economy rate of 4.11 before he suffered a stomach injury during the second game and was ruled out for the rest of the tour.

"Harbhajan Singh is immaterial. What is important is India must beat England in the five-match ODI series and take their revenge, which I am sure they would over the next two weeks," he said.
Newspaper:Times Of India, 12th Oct

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom