Breaking Disney to enter Multi-Billion Dollar Deal with Ambani [Deal Completed]

The star content could be owned by Reliance through Viacom 18 and Jio Cinema could be rebranded to Jio Hotstar while the Disney+ content could be housed in a dedicated hub in the premium section just like HBO, peacock and paramount+ hubs.
Is Disney also part of the merger? I thought it was a merger between Star India and Viacom 18. I think after the merger of Star India and Viacom, Disney will remain a separate company. And it will also have a separate app just like Discovery+. Then why not make Disney Hotstar own ott app? And rename it to Disney+.

Is Disney also part of the merger? I thought it was a merger between Star India and Viacom 18. I think after the merger of Star India and Viacom, Disney will remain a separate company. And it will also have a separate app just like Discovery+. Then why not make Disney Hotstar own ott app? And rename it to Disney+.
Disney will supply all content to new JV company and its app exclusively for 5 years as per their Term sheet

The star content could be owned by Reliance through Viacom 18 and Jio Cinema could be rebranded to Jio Hotstar while the Disney+ content could be housed in a dedicated hub in the premium section just like HBO, peacock and paramount+ hubs.
RIL should move all Viacom18 content to stable Hotstar app with premium and leave Jio cinema for free old content

The distribution of Star Channels will be done by RIL going further. Also hotstar will get a uplift being into losses from jio Cinema .

Yes Disney is not a part of the merger, but RIL can keep the clause of exclusivity of content with them in return for buying their loss making Star property. So just like HBO decided to go with a hub on Jio Cinema instead of launching a standalone Max app in India we may see the same approach with Disney.

The distribution of Star Channels will be done by RIL going further. Also hotstar will get a uplift being into losses from jio Cinema .
Will the star channels like Disney, Hungama, Fox life channels dth feed will be available in Jio TV+ after the merger complete just like how colors channels are available

Will the star channels like Disney, Hungama, Fox life channels dth feed will be available in Jio TV+ after the merger complete just like how colors channels are available
What does jiotv has anything to do with this merger.

hotstar would be kept as brand name without any prefix Jio. As, hotstar is very big name not just in India but in neighbouring countries via VPN.
Also, Hindi and regional OTT watchers have separate fanbase for hotstar content. BTW we will see disney+ with peacock, hbo, etc in seperate section on new app.
We might see some new app for regional OTT watchers special for rest of India which includes Punjabi, Haryanvi, Rajasthani, Gujarati content which will be available on international level to grab foreign market as many NRI love to watch and spend in local content.

hotstar would be kept as brand name without any prefix Jio. As, hotstar is very big name not just in India but in neighbouring countries via VPN.
Also, Hindi and regional OTT watchers have separate fanbase for hotstar content. BTW we will see disney+ with peacock, hbo, etc in seperate section on new app.
We might see some new app for regional OTT watchers special for rest of India which includes Punjabi, Haryanvi, Rajasthani, Gujarati content which will be available on international level to grab foreign market as many NRI love to watch and spend in local content.
New app will not sustainable against Netflix and Prime video, Viacom18's English content can be monitize through Hotstar premium, Hindi/Regional content through Hotstar Super/mobile plan.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock