Seeking Help Difference between voltage protector & stabilizer ??

@Gobinaath Bro, If your fridge has inbuilt stabilizer you don't need any external stabilizer. But if it doesn't then stabilizer is a must
For TV, nothing required but stabilizer if necessary
This is not true bro. I spent 4500 to get our fridge repaired. The reason was lack of stabilizer. Guess what, it has an inbuilt one. Service person who came told me that "Sir don't fall for the gimmicks played by the sales people, they will always say that the fridge has inbuilt stabilizer but you must buy a separate one". I don't know why the inbuilt one did not work, but in the end I had to suffer.

This is not true bro. I spent 4500 to get our fridge repaired. The reason was lack of stabilizer. Guess what, it has an inbuilt one. Service person who came told me that "Sir don't fall for the gimmicks played by the sales people, they will always say that the fridge has inbuilt stabilizer but you must buy a separate one". I don't know why the inbuilt one did not work, but in the end I had to suffer.
our fridge is working fine (purchased year 2012) without any external stabilizer. and no problems till now

our fridge is working fine (purchased year 2012) without any external stabilizer. and no problems till now
Bro, I purchased in 2010 and problem came only in 2016, after 6 years. I recommend you to invest 1500 on a good stabilizer.

PRACTICALLY
voltage protector should be used for TV.
Practically non of the modern electronic appliances need Stabilizer.

There are two types of appliances - With Motor and With out Motor.
we usually use stabilizer for appliances with motor.

Most of the electronic devices with out motor now a days hav SMPS inbiuilt. TVs, DVD players, etc do not work at 230 V. SMPS converts incoming 230 V to 12V or 24V (whichever is required by the appliance). Thus none of the electronic appliances need voltage stabilisers.. They are neither impacted by high voltage, nor by low voltage. So electronic devices do not need any protection.

Bt in other case where, devices with motor have an operating Voltage. they will work only at a specified voltage. More or less voltage will cause severe damage to the motor and appliance. so here we use a stabilizer to stabilize the voltage.

bt its a myth in our homes to use a stabilizer for any appliances which comes at high cost.

It's not a myth, there are some areas where Voltage gets too low during peak hours (Here voltage drops to 145-150 V is summer evening) and if you run electronics then you will need a stabiliser otherwise it will not run or it will gets heated up. Voltage becomes so low that AC will not start without Stabiliser here

Also from my practical experience my TV stabiliser saved my old CRT TV during a lightning strike almost 10 years ago, whole wire from terrestrial antenna and bedroom was in fire because of that lightning. Stabiliser(manual) was totally fried but thanks to it TV was safe.

@sai bro, Surge protector only protects you from peak voltage spike and cannot provide you low voltage relief whereas with stabiliser stabiliser you can increase/decrease input voltage manually/automatically.

If you don't have low voltage issue don't waste money on stabiliser as it coasts more just buy a surge protector instead. It's cheap. But if you have low voltage issue then you will only need stabiliser as surge protector will not help you.

Last edited:
Bro, I purchased in 2010 and problem came only in 2016, after 6 years. I recommend you to invest 1500 on a good stabilizer.
:kBro, I've one Philips fridge stabilizer .... I'll have to check... If it works I'll plug it in...if it doesn't then repair or new

@sai bro, Surge protector only protects you from peak voltage spike and cannot provide you low voltage relief whereas with stabiliser stabiliser you can increase/decrease input voltage manually/automatically.

If you don't have low voltage issue don't waste money on stabiliser as it coasts more just buy a surge protector instead. It's cheap. But if you have low voltage issue then you will only need stabiliser as surge protector will not help yo
Bang on thanks bro :)

Also from my practical experience my TV stabiliser saved my old CRT TV during a lightning strike almost 10 years ago
Old CRT that's the case. Current Gen TV doesn't need a Stabilizer.
the electronic devices which run on PCB nd not hav a motor device doesn't need stabilizer. These devices won't work at that high voltage.
TVs, DVD players, etc do not work at 230 V. SMPS converts incoming 230 V to 12V or 24V (whichever is required by the appliance).
Two type of appliances - With & With out Motor
AC & fridge should hav a stabilizer. where as there is no need to stabilize a current to the TV.
only need to protect a TV from high or low voltage. Nd that too wont affect the TV directly. for that surge protector is used.

stabilizer stabilizes a current to the appliances. take the case of fridge. if the voltage is low u start hearing humming sound from back side and coil gets heated and damaged..

Old CRT that's the case. Current Gen TV doesn't need a Stabilizer.
the electronic devices which run on PCB nd not hav a motor device doesn't need stabilizer. These devices won't work at that high voltage.
TVs, DVD players, etc do not work at 230 V. SMPS converts incoming 230 V to 12V or 24V (whichever is required by the appliance).
Two type of appliances - With & With out Motor

AC & fridge should hav a stabilizer. where as there is no need to stabilize a current to the TV.
only need to protect a TV from high or low voltage. Nd that too wont affect the TV directly. for that surge protector is used.

stabilizer stabilizes a current to the appliances. take the case of fridge. if the voltage is low u start hearing humming sound from back side and coil gets heated and damaged..

What I was trying to say with that TV example is that almost all good voltage stabiliser has bultin surge protection system but the reverse is not true. Good surge protector will not give you low voltage relief. That's why Voltage stabiliser is so costly compared to Surge protector. So choose wisely according to your need and live well. BTW I now disconnect all wires during lightning as I don't want another fire in my bedroom

Last edited:
What I was trying to say with that TV example is that almost all good voltage stabiliser has bultin surge protection system but the reverse is not true. Good surge protector will not give you low voltage relief. So choose wisely live well
Yup. reverse is not true. But
what am saying is that there is no need of a stabilizer for TV now a days.. only meant new TV's.

Do we use a stabilizer for a Desktop system.. That's the same case with TV also.
we r used to place stabilizer for TV's from earlier days. so we r following it now too.

On the other hand it doesn't do any harm to place a stabilizer. Nd that's why i suggested him a stabilizer cum surge protector in my first post, though a regular surge protector will do the job.
Am also using one for my TV. Parent's are used with it.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock