Daily Breaking News & Current Affairs

• Thread starter DXer
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 1,964
  • Views: Views 196,746
  • Microsoft Announced Windows-10 is FREE UPGRADE

Microsoft just took another big step toward the release of Windows 10 and revealed it will be free for many current Windows users.

Importantly, Windows 10 will be free for existing Windows users running versions of Windows back to Windows 7. That includes Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows Phone. Microsoft specified it would only be free for the first year, indicating Windows would be software that users subscribe to, rather than buy outright.

Full Story:
Microsoft reveals more about Windows 10, including how much it'll cost

Switzerland will extend full co-operation to India on tax matters, says Swiss Finance Minister: Press Trust of India

Today Current Affairs on 22/01/2015

1. Microsoft unveils Windows 10 and ‘HoloLens’

i. Microsoft has taken the wraps off a new version of Windows and a new wearable 3D gadget it calls the HoloLens.

ii. The company showed the new headset, which lets users view and interact with three-dimensional images.

iii. Windows 10 will also come with a new Web browser that will be closely integrated with Cortana, the company’s voice-activated answer to Siri.

iv. Microsoft announced that Windows 10 will be released later this year as a free upgrade for anyone owning a computer or gadget that’s currently running Windows 8.1 or 7.

2. Pakistan bans JuD, Haqqani network

i. Pakistan has banned the Jamaat-ud Dawa (JuD) and the Haqqani network after the US insisted it do so.

ii. The Pakistani government took action against the militant organisations without making a distinction between the good Taliban and the bad Taliban .

iii. The Haqqani Network, founded by Jalaluddin Haqqani, has been blamed for some of the most heinous attacks on the US—led foreign forces in Afghanistan. It was designated as a terrorist organisation by the US in September 2012.

iv. the Ministry has also banned Harkat-ul-Jihad Islami, Harkat-ul-Mujahideen, Falah-i-Insaniat Foundation, Ummah Tameer-i-Nau, Haji Khairullah Hajji Sattar Money Exchange, Rahat Limited, Roshan Money Exchange, Al Akhtar Trust, Al Rashid Trust.

3. OPEC, oil companies clash at Davos over price collapse

i. OPEC defended its decision not to intervene to halt the oil price collapse, shrugging off warnings by top energy firms that the cartel's policy could lead to a huge supply shortage as investments dry up.

ii. Oil prices have collapsed to below $50 a barrel as a result of a large supply glut, due mostly to a sharp rise in U.S. shale production as well as weaker global demand.

iii. The heads of world's largest oil firms warned that the decline in investments in future production could lead to a supply shortage and a dramatic price increase.

4. Sunil Sood to succeed Marten Pieters as Vodafone India CEO

i. Martin Pieters will be succeeded by Sunil Sood, who is at present the chief operating officer at the telecom giant.

ii. Marten Pieters, Vodafone India Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, will be stepping down from his post with effect from 1 April, 2015.

iii. Mr. Sood, is currently responsible for day-to-day operations and P&L management together with new business development initiatives including the launch and expansion of mobile commerce activities.

iv. Mr. Sood, who had joined Vodafone India's predecessor business, Hutch, in 2000, in his current role, is responsible for day-to-day operations and P&L management together with new business development initiatives including the launch and expansion of mobile commerce activities.

5. Modi launched ‘Beti Bachao-Beti Padhao’ scheme in Haryana

i. The ‘Beti Bachao-Beti Padhao’ scheme, which seeks to address gender imbalance and discrimination against the girl child, was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi at Panipat in Haryana.

ii. Mr. Modi begged the people with open hands to save the lives of the girl child and also administered them an oath to fight female foeticide, celebrate the birth of a girl and educate them.

iii. Mahendergarh and Jhajjar districts of Haryana are badly effected with imbalanced s#x ratios where there are just about 775 girls for 1,000 boys, the lowest in India.

6. Suzlon sells German unit for Rs. 7,200 crore

i. Wind turbine maker Suzlon Energy on Thursday announced selling 100 per cent stake in its German subsidiary Senvion SE to U.S.-based Centerbridge Partners for €1 billion euro (about Rs. 7,200 crore) in an all-cash deal.

ii. The proceeds will be utilised towards debt reduction and business growth in key markets like the US, India and other emerging markets.

iii. Senvion SE will give Suzlon licence for off-shore technology for the Indian market.

7. Pakistan's Ex-Foreign Minister Khurshid M Kasuri penned 'Neither a Hawk nor a Dove'

i. The book is based upon the relations between India and Pakistan.

ii. Kasuri in his book writes that the two countries have no option but to go for a just and peaceful solution to Jammu and Kashmir and other contentious issues between them.

iii. He further writes that he knew on the basis of his experience that both the countries have major fault lines and that both are equally capable of destabilizing the other.

iv. The book contains update till November 2014 including the advent of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the current policies of the new Indian government.

PM launches Beti Bachao-Beti Padhao campaign

SC: Srinivasan can't contest BCCIpolls;Meiyappan,Kundra guilty in IPLscam

Pak bans Jamaat-ud-Dawa,Haqqani network

Good Thread & Nice Updates Guys :tup Keep It Up!

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock