Daily Breaking News & Current Affairs

• Thread starter DXer
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 1,964
  • Views: Views 195,784

DXer

Reaction score
  • Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojna makes it to Guinness World Records, 11.5 cr Jan Dhan accounts opened.
  • 13-year-old Indian origin boy developed new version of Braille printer, launches his own company in California.

Thanks DXer bro for this thread & my small request if possible please post this thread regularly :)

Vicky said:
Thanks DXer bro for this thread & my small request if possible please post this thread regularly :)

Yes bro, I update it daily regularly...

Thanks for your encouraging appreciation...

Some Current Affairs From My Side:

1. Jaipur Literature Festival all set to begin

i. The eighth edition of the ZEE Jaipur Literature Festival is all set to open on 21st January 2015. The event, which is now the world’s largest free literary festival, will see a galaxy of literary and musical stars come together for a vibrant celebration of creative expression.

ii. To be inaugurated by the Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje, the event is seen as an agenda-setter on key issues from the global economic crisis to the rise of e-books, the current state of politics in the Middle East to the increasing importance of Indian language publishing.

iii. This year the Festival will look at gender equity in India in a series titled `Women Uninterrupted', supported by UN Women to mark the 20th anniversary of the Beijing Conference on Gender, leading up to the world summit at the UN this September, as well as `The Seven Deadly Sins' that polarize society.

2. Hyderabad to host World Congress on Information Technology in 2018

i. Hyderabad will host the World Congress on Information Technology (WCIT) in 2018. This will be the first WCIT to be held in India and the theme of the 2018 WCIT will be Future of enterprises.

ii. As part of this, the Chief Minister of Telangana K Chandrasekhar Rao would visit the US, the UK and other countries to invite the bigwigs of the IT industry to the 2018 event.

iii. WCIT 2016 is to be held in Brazil.
In 2014, the 19th WCIT was held in Guadalajara in Mexico. The theme was Building the Digital Age Together.
The first WCIT was held in 1978 and it is held since then every two years.

3. India’s growth to reach 6.3 per cent in 2016: UN WESP report

i. According to the United Nations World Economic Situation and Prospects (WESP) 2015 report, India’s growth in terms of GDP is expected to reach 5.9 per cent in 2015 and 6.3 per cent in 2016.

ii. India's growth recovery is partly the result of improved market sentiment after the new government took office in the second quarter of 2014 and had announced plans to reform the bureaucracy, labour laws and public subsidies.

About United Nations World Economic Situation and Prospects (WESP) report
This report is published at the beginning of each year by the combined efforts of
UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs.
UN Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD).
5 UN regional commissions.
World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO).

4. Singapore's GIC to invest Rs 1,020 crore in Bandhan Financial Services

i. Singapore's sovereign wealth fund GIC is investing 10.2 billion rupees ($165.5 million) in India's Bandhan Financial Services, which is setting up one of the country's two newest banks

ii. The company will get a total equity investment of 16 billion rupees, including 5.8 billion rupees from existing investor IFC

iii. IFC, part of the World Bank Group, owns 10.8 percent of Bandhan and its stake will increase after the latest investment.

iv. Bandhan and IDFC were the only two companies which won bank permits from the central bank last year in what was the first bank licensing process in a decade.

5. Shubham, 13, Silicon Valley’s youngest entrepreneur, develops Braille printer

In Silicon Valley, it’s never too early to become an entrepreneur. Just ask 13-year-old Shubham Banerjee.

i. The California eighth-grader has launched a company to develop low-cost machines to print Braille. Tech giant Intel Corp. recently invested in his start-up, Braigo Labs.

ii. Mr. Shubham wants to develop a desktop Braille printer that costs around $350 and weighs just a few kilograms, compared with current models that can weigh more than nine kilograms.

iii. The machine could be used to print Braille reading materials on paper, using raised dots instead of ink, from a personal computer or electronic device.

6. Twitter buys Indian mobile marketing start-up ZipDial

i. Twitter Inc said it will buy Indian mobile phone marketing start-up ZipDial, reportedly for $30 million to $40 million, as the U.S. microblogging service looks to expand in the world's second-biggest mobile market.

ii. Bengaluru-based ZipDial gives clients phone numbers for use in marketing campaigns. The start-up's clients include International Business Machines Corp, Yum! Brands Inc's KFC and Procter & Gamble Co 's Gillette.

This acquisition significantly increases our investment in India, one of the countries where we're seeing great growth,' Twitter said

iii. The service capitalises on a local tradition of communicating through so-called missed calls.

7. Filmmaker Pahlaj Nihalani appointed as chairperson of CBFC

i. Union Government has reconstituted Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC). In this regard, government has appointed 1 chairperson and 9 board members.

ii. Pahlaj Nihalani was appointed chairperson. He will be office in for a period of three years or until further orders, whichever is earlier.

iii. 9 Members are: BJP leader Vani Tripathi Tikoo, filmmakers Ashoke Pandit and Chandra Prakash Dwivedi, film writer Mihir Bhuta, Syed Abdul Bari, Ramesh Patange, actor George Baker, actor-filmmaker Jeevitha and actor- playwright S Ve Shekhar.

8. Former PM Manmohan Singh adopted Pachim Bekeli Gaon Panchyat

i. Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh adopted Pachim Bekeli Gaon Panchyat under Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojna (SAGY). Pachim Bekeli Gaon Panchyat is located in Kamrup district of Assam.

ii. Manmohan Singh represents Assam in the Rajya Sabha.
Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana aims to cover 2500 villages by 2019. Under the project, each Member of Parliament (MP) will take up the responsibility of providing infrastructure and developing three villages by 2019.

iii. The objective of the project is to create a holistic development of all adopted villages by the MPs in all aspects —human, personal, social, economic and environmental development, including provision of basic amenities, services, security and good governance.

9. TCS ends RIL's 23-year run as most profitable firm
After 23 years, India has a new numero uno when it comes to net profit

i. Information technology major Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) posted a net profit of Rs 5,328 crore for the quarter ended December, overtaking long-standing champion Reliance Industries Ltd.

ii. In Indian business history it's the first time that an IT company has topped the profit charts.

iii. TCS has also become the world's third largest employer of people in the technology sector, with over 3 lakh employees. And given the pace at which it is growing, it could become the second largest employer this year, crossing Hewlett-Packard, and would be fast closing in on leader IBM.

10. Mukherjee launches Pulse Polio Immunization Programme

i. President Pranab Mukherjee launched the Pulse Polio Immunization Programme by administering polio drops to children at Rashtrapati Bhavan.

ii. The National Immunization Day was held on 18th Jannuary when children under 5 years age were given polio drops as part of the Government's drive to sustain polio eradication from the region.

iii. India has been implementing the Pulse Polio Programme since 1995.

iv. In India, the last case of wild polio was reported on January 13, 2011. The South-East Asia region of WHO has been certified on March 27, 2014 as "polio free", meaning that transmission of wild poliovirus has been interrupted in this block of 11 countries including India, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Indonesia, Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Timor-Leste for the last three years.

11.Union Government banned mobile handsets with fake, duplicate identity numbers

Union Government on 19 January 2015 prohibited imports of all kind of mobile handsets with fake or duplicate Unique Identity Numbers. The decision will help the security agencies to track callers using different SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) cards.

Director General of Foreign Trade in its notification added GSM mobile handsets with duplicate or fake IMEI and CDMA mobile handsets with duplicate or fake ESN (Electronic Serial Number)/MEID (mobile equipment identifier) to the list of Prohibited items for import.

Earlier, import of mobile phones with or without 00…00 IMEI numbers were banned but this order places bans on duplicate handsets as well.

International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) number
IMEI number is a unique 15-17 digit number which is used by GSM network to identify validity of the devices on a cellphone or mobile. These numbers are helpful in tracking the mobile phones.

Electronic Serial Number (ESN)
Electronic serial numbers (ESNs) is a unique identification number that every cellular phone has and is assigned by the specific manufacturer. It helps in authenticating the validity of the phone in respect to the cellular service the phone is attempting to use. These numbers are used in CDMA phone sets.

Mobile Equipment Identifier (MEID)
MEID is a unique number that identifies a wireless handset. This system replaced the electronic serial number (ESN) system in 2006 this helps to activate a phone with a carrier that requires your phone's unique identifier in a specific format.

12.Ayonika Paul, Annu Raj Singh won gold at 4th Gun for Glory Shooting Championship

Ayonika Paul of Railways and Maharashtra's Annu Raj Singh won a gold medal each in their respective events at the 4th Gun for Glory (GFG) Shooting Championship.

The championship was held at the Shree Shiv Chhatrapati Sports Complex in Balewadi in Pune from 15 January 2015 to 21 January 2015.

Ayonika won the gold in 10m Rifle Women and Annu Raj Singh won it in 10m Pistol Women.

Ayonika shot 206.8 to defeat Pooja Ghatkar with a difference of 1.3. Pooja, who scored 205.5, grabbed the silver medal. The bronze went to Railway's Priya Agarwal who scored 183.5.

Annu Raj Singh shot 199.2 and was followed by Pune's Amita Gawate, who scored 191.6. The bronze was won by Priyanka Survirkar, who scored 171.2. The difference between Annu Raj and Amita was 7.7.

About Gun for Glory Shooting Championship

The championship was established in January 2011 by the Gagan Narang Sports Promotion Foundation.

Gun for Glory is a not-for-profit enterprise operating out of the Shooting Range at the Shiv Chhatrapati Shivaji Stadium, Balewadi, Pune. India’s first privately managed shooting facility with world class infrastructure, training, coaches, staff made accessible to talented shooters via scholarships and fee subsidies.

Today Current Affairs (21/01/2015)

1. Bibek Debroy joins as full time member of NITI Aayog

i. Noted economist Bibek Debroy today assumed charged as full time member of the NITI Ayog (National Institution for Transforming India). Government had announced the appointment of Debroy and DRDO chief V K Saraswat as full-time members earlier this month.

ii. An economist by profession, he was educated at the Presidency College (Calcutta), the Delhi School of Economics and the Trinity College (Cambridge).

iii. Debroy worked as a consultant in the Department of Economic Affairs in Finance Ministry.

iv. Debroy has also authored several books, papers and popular articles, and has been a Consulting Editor of some financial newspapers in the country.

2. India set to overtake China next year: IMF

i. International Monetary Fund (IMF) projected that India will grow 6.5 per cent in 2016, overtaking China which, it projected, will slowdown to 6.3 per cent.

ii. In a separate forecast, the United Nations World Economic Situation and Prospects UN WESP report too predicted a smart recovery for India during 2015.It pegged its 2015 India growth forecast lower than the IMF’s –at 5.9 per cent.

iii. At 6.3 per cent, the UNWESP 2016 India growth forecast is, however, closer to that of the IMF.

iv. The IMF said that global growth will receive a boost from lower oil prices, which reflect to an important extent higher supply in many advanced and emerging market economies.

3. Government to allocate 36 coal blocks to PSUs

i. The government today kick-started the process of allocating cancelled coal mines to state-owned firms, it will initially allot 36 blocks.

ii. Of these 36 coal blocks, one mine will be given to the steel sector while the rest will be given to the power sector.

iii. For schedule II (producing mines) category 23 blocks will be put on offer and the auction would be between February 14 and February 22.

iv. With regard to Schedule III mines (ready to produce mines) he said another set of 23 mines will be auctioned between February 25 and March 5.

4. EU decided to lift ban on import of mangoes from India

i. European Union (EU) decided to lift a seven-month-long ban on the import of mangoes from India. The proposal to lift the ban was voted unanimously by the European Commission’s standing committee on plant health.

ii. The decision to lift the ban was made after India, the world’s biggest producer of Mangoes made significant improvements in plant health controls and certification system.

iii. European Union issued a temporary ban on import of Indian mangoes on 1 May 2014 after fruit flies and other quarantine pests were found in 207 consignments. The consignment infested with fruit flies were found by authorities in Brussels. The ban was supposed to be effective till December 2015.

iv. EU accounts to almost 50% of the total exports of fruits and vegetables from India, UK is the top exporter.

5. India world's second-most trusted nation: Survey

i. India has emerged as the second-most trusted country in the world in terms of faith reposed on its institutions even as globally trust levels have fallen, says a survey.

ii. Trust in institutions in India has improved sharply in 2015 with the country moving up three notches to the second place among 27 nations.

iii. While the number of "truster" countries are at an all-time low of six in 2015 including UAE, India, China and Netherlands, the number of "distruster" countries has grown significantly to 13 including Japan, Russia, Hong Kong, South Africa and Italy.

iv. The list is topped by UAE with 84 per cent trust. India (79 percent),Indonesia (78 per cent), China (75 per cent), Singapore (65 per cent) and Netherlands (64 per cent) are the others that have recorded highest levels of trust.

6. 2015 World Economic Forum Annual Meeting

i. The 45th World Economic Forum kick started in Davos,Switzerland today.

ii. Ahead of the start of its annual meeting in Davos on Tuesday, the WEF published 14 measures of inclusive growth as it responded to criticism that the gathering of 2,500 business leaders, academic and policymakers has become an exercise in hand-wringing about the gap between rich and poor.

iii. Christine Lagarde, the managing director of the IMF, Pope Francis, Jim Kim, the president of the World Bank and Mark Carney, the governor of the Bank of England, are among those who have stressed the need to ensure that the fruits of economic progress are shared more equally. Carney will be taking part in a panel in Davos this week titled: “A richer world but for whom”.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock