Breaking Cabinet Approves ₹89,047 crs for BSNL

Only 5 mhz of n28 spectrum now remaining how airtel compete for 5g coverage against jio and bsnl without n28 spectrum
600Mhz will be freed up in future for Vi and Airtel. Airtel has to move N78 to SA mode first before thinking about buying N28(5Mhz). It has to pay 20000 Crore. Unless and until Vi shuts down, I doubt Airtel will invest in 700Mhz. Still three years away from buying 700Mhz and SA N78 from Airtel. People will move to 4G after 5G tariffs are announced.

First let BSNL deploy band 8/1 4G. I still feel Vi+BSNL should be sold to Adani. Band 8/1 synergy will bring great benefits for merged entity. Now N78/41 as well.

Last edited:
Why does the govt keep pumping lakhs of crores into this scam of a company?

BSNL employees will do everything that their masters - Airtel and Vi - bribe them to do and ruin the company.

This will spell further doom for Vi. Already Jio and Airtel have poached its urban and semi urban subscriber base and now BSNL will eat up it's rural user base as well. They will have no option but to stop operations soon.
my whole point of discussion was same, when last year bsnl was givn second package, and vi was loosing and clinching more with AGR and spectrum moratorium.

just calculated, does bsnl become third largest spectrum holder surpassing vi?

thirdly bsnl still carrying British colonial mindset, which is main culprit for fall of Vodafone india. so better stop providing lollipop to vi and make bsnl as third semi private player
except license and spectrum holding, everthing like towers, gear, OFC, maintenance, marketing ,customer service should be handled by tata group companies, so every outsider of india cant recognize its as govt entity.

fourthly, we can happily see BSNL in mumbai and delhi as operator of choice for many people. as MTNL 2g/3g is like non existance for many societies

600Mhz will be freed up in future for Vi and Airtel. Airtel has to move N78 to SA mode first before thinking about buying N28(5Mhz). It has to pay 20000 Crore. Unless and until Vi shuts down, I doubt Airtel will invest in 700Mhz. Still three years away from buying 700Mhz and SA N78 from Airtel. People will move to 4G after 5G tariffs are announced.
Any phone in India that supports n105 spectrum available?

Any phone in India that supports n105 spectrum available?
Nope.

It will take two to three years to develop ecosystem. Till then Airtel has to play waiting game. They should have bulked up 4G spectrum instead of 5G spectrum(Especially band 1/3). Airtel should focus on 4G expansion rather than 5G. Their 4G will be good enough for couple of years through 3CA(1-3-40C). They should make band 1/3(10-20Mhz) in as much circles as possibles in upcoming auctions. Get revenues and then focus on increasing 5G expansion. Direct SA. This NSA is going to backfire for sure.

600Mhz in USA used as N71(TMobile). It's international version is N105.
In some areas, TMobile has as much as 35Mhz of N71 reaching 130-180Mbps.

Last edited:
just calculated, does bsnl become third largest spectrum holder surpassing vi?
Yes Overall spectrum holding of BSNL is now greater than Vi (it is higher in the sub-GHz, C-band and mm-Wave band but lower than Vi in the mid-band) I have updated the spectrum holding chart on our site, you can check it out there.

Spend the money on railways than useless institutions like this. Don't waste taxpayers money on something even crony capitalist doesn't want on his portfolio.
Just pure wastage of Taxpayer's Money. Absolutely Ridiculous!!!
Sorry friends, I beg to differ here. They are just giving spectrum of value around 90k crore Rs and NOT the money. Sure one may argue that those spectrum may yield huge money if put on auction. But if there is NO strong third player, the top two (especially Airtel) may never need to invest money in buying more spectrum and those spectrum will again be lying idle. If that happens, then the Govt will be forced to reduce spectrum price in upcoming auctions (happened in band 28 twice) and the top two may buy at the cost of peanuts.

So for a change, I welcome this move of allocating Spectrum to BSNL. Yes, BSNL is known for playing with spectrum doing sweet nothing. So Govt is looking for support from Pvt Cos like TCS. It will be good for us Indians in the long run, for sure.
First of all, Government should sell or rent excessive BSNL properties for monetizing as BSNL has significant properties all over India which is of very little use now. Jio provides 10 times better broadband internet from just a tower compared to what BSNL provides from their big exchanges.
This is a very valid point, imho.
Only 5 mhz of n28 spectrum now remaining how airtel compete for 5g coverage against jio and bsnl without n28 spectrum
Airtel doesn't even care to make the band 8 (900MHz) in Gujarat and Kerala circles to full 5MHz (4.2MHz in Gujarat and 4.6MHz in Kerala), even after given chance in last auction. They just cherry-pick the cheapest spectrum option in every circle. In MP-CG circle both Band 8 and Band 5 was available in the one before the last auction, they just chose the cheaper band 5 spectrum, same in UP(W) circle, even though the difference is just 90 crores. They just don't care about having a COMMON spectrum band in all circles. They do NOT have Pan India 900MHz (Band 8) as well as 2100MHz (Band 1), even though they are the one having the huge share of spectrum in both the bands.

Only Jio has UNIFORM spectrum portfolio. The point is you can have almost same better experience of jio all over India (except of course the heavily congested areas), but NOT so in Airtel. So forget about Airtel getting 10MHz of ANY sub-GHz spectrum band Pan India. They will just use DSS with paltry 5MHz of band 5 / 8 in most circles.
This will spell further doom for Vi. Already Jio and Airtel have poached its urban and semi urban subscriber base and now BSNL will eat up it's rural user base as well. They will have no option but to stop operations soon.
Actually, like so many of our friends here, Govt is also not ready to give spectrum to BSNL, as they may not use it efficiently (happened with Band 41 earlier). They instead waited too long for VoId to make a come-back. If VoId became strong, there will be a strong third player and they can avoid selling spectrum for peanuts (like I said in my first reply). Now Govt lost hope on VoId, even much much later than our friend @TheAndroidFreak and hence started supporting BSNL now. Third strong player will be not only good for Competition, but also good for generating more revenue from auction.
This will spell further doom for Vi.
Yes. But if even VoId is not ready to care about that, then why should anybody care about the same ? Govt giving Spectrum to BSNL is a sure sign of them losing hope on VoId.

Remaining days of VoId depends on the answer to the question, "Will the Govt pull out the Ventilator support of VoId, to happen just few QTRs before Election time ?" I think NO. They will just let VoId waste the time like now, till the Moratorium period and have a natural death after that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock