Good News Bought a purple 256GB iPhone 11

JollyLNB

Contributor
Reaction score
As some of you may have noticed, I have been seriously considering moving to the iPhone in early 2021 since my birthday falls in March. I would now like to share my experiences on that front.

On Monday evening I went to the Jurong Point mall near my university in Singapore and decided to test the iPhone 12 series that was on display in several IT shops. Suffice to say I was totally convinced that I should go in for an iPhone, as @Siva, @Anish Pai, @Raviteja and others pointed out. The iPhone 12 mini, 12 and 12 Pro Max were all displayed (but not the 11 series). After trying out each of them I was blown away by the supreme integration of hardware and software, and the overall seamless experience, especially after the iOS 14 update. It is something only Apple can manage to pull off.

I have decided that, in February or March 2021 when my internship has completed a month or two, I would like to buy the iPhone 11, 128GB since it is not too expensive comparatively (around S$1,029 SGD from the Apple website; around ₹55,300), and I am not interested in 5G or OLED displays. Also, it is available in my favourite purple colour.

The only thing that remains is whether to buy it directly from the Apple website, since third-party resellers may not have the best quality stocks.

Thanks to everyone who helped me choose!

Quoting my relevant posts:

Very happy to have discovered this thread. Like most Indians, even for the Apple level of simplicity, privacy and protection, I do not think paying more than ₹50k is justifiable for me. I normally buy phones for ₹15k or less. However, Android is getting more and more slow and irritating by the day, even with a relatively nice OEM (Xiaomi has been excellent so far). In the long run, say within 5 years, I definitely see myself buying an iPhone, and it will be even better if Apple gets rid of the notch. Since I study in Singapore, this is of importance regarding budget. But in the next 1 or 2 years, the only Apple product I see myself buying is the iPad with student pricing. Nevertheless, with Apple producing the iPhone XR and now the iPhone 11 in India, the iPhone is only going to get more and more affordable (in relative terms, of course; a sub-₹35k iPhone with Face ID, before discounts, is too much to expect). But it is definitely a step in the right direction as Apple now has phones from ₹40k all the way to ₹1.4 lakh. The only true problem is the lack of expandable storage, as 64GB fills up quickly, but everything else makes the price absolutely worth it. For the record, my dad has an iPad already that he uses for work, and I plan to buy the basic iPad next year once the price becomes better.

Seeing this thread active I am also considering whether to shift to iOS next year around this time, or maybe around July 2021, since my Redmi Note 5 will be more than 3 years old and it has already started to become sluggish. At that point the iPhone XR, if still in production, will be less than ₹35k but the iPhone 11 will still be attractive (especially Made in India as it will be cheaper). Will prefer it to be less than ₹40k no matter what (even XS is a possibility if it will still be available then).
What is your say? @Siva @Jagadeesh @Raviteja and other experts.

Note 1: This is nowhere close to reality and still many months off. Also, iPhones are generally cheaper in Singapore than India, so this may also influence my decision.
Note 2: Certain things like sideloading APKs can only be done by Android, so, if I do buy an iPhone, I may still use my existing phone as a secondary phone.
Note 3: Is the 2020 iPhone SE worth considering? Or only X and 11 series are worth?

Also I will have completed a paid company internship by then as part of my university curriculum, so rest assured price is not a problem. :smile2:

Any iPhone with the notch (even the original X, even after 3 years) is still a status symbol in India! :lol:

And a couple of very helpful posts from @Siva anna that completely turned the tide in favour of iOS for me:

@Anish Pai bro,

I have been an iPhone user for roughly 3 years (Nov 2017) and I used Android phones (Mid-range and Flagship) for almost 7 years before finally switching to the iPhone. And I think I'm not gonna switchback in the near future. Lack of customization on iOS was always the reason for me to not switch to the iPhone. However, from the time I started using the Android phone (I started with a Moto Cliq XT), the customization gradually stopped making much sense even on Android. I used to Root and install custom ROMs on almost every Android phone I used, except for the phones I used in the 2016-17 period. This is because, as Android OS evolved through the years, it gradually started implementing most of the features in the stock ROM itself, that otherwise forced us to go to Custom ROMs. At the time, I realized that the main reason that I was avoiding an iPhone was no longer a reason not to make the switch, so I took the step.

Apple without a doubt, is the leading brand in the smartphone industry in terms of providing software updates to its phones. The fact that the iPhone 6S which was released 5 years ago, will receive the latest iOS 14 this fall and the iPhone 6, which was released 6 years ago still receives security updates is a testimony of Apple's commitment to its customers.

After Sales support of Apple is one of the best. I have practically experienced it once. My friend, who was using an iPhone 6 started facing some issues with it. It used suddenly hang and go unresponsive. We took it to the service center and it was just 1 day before the warranty expiry. They took the phone checked it and found that there was an issue with the phone body. It was ever slightly bent, not easily noticeable. They said they are going to replace it with a brand new phone. They called my friend the next day and asked to collect the new phone. This was just unimaginable to me, I have never seen this before with any of the smartphones I took for service. At that time, I was using an Android phone, and this incident certainly played a big role as well in my decision to switch to Apple. Just in comparison, the Samsung S7 Edge (I wasn't using it as I already switched by then) that I spent more than 50k died just after 1.10 years and the repair cost they quoted me was 30k. I posted a thread about it here. My friend was still using his replacement iPhone 6 then and he continued to use it till 2018!!

About the pricing, I wish it's lower than what it is, but Apple is Apple. However, there have been some very good deals on the e-commerce platforms lately on most of the Apple mobiles. For 50k, You would probably get an iPhone XS base variant during the sale. iPhone XR was available for as low as 37k on the Amazon Prime Day sale, but the prices of all the Apple phones increased since then due to the additional taxes Govt levied. Still, XR might be available for around that 40k mark during the sale period. I suggest you go for a model that has an LED display like X or XS. You have an option to wait till the new iPhone 12 models get released in September and the older models will be bound to get a price cut. You also have another option of buying the iPhone 7, which is the cheapest among the lot right now and see if you like the ecosystem. If you don't like it, you would have saved half the money and you could go back to Android after some time without much hesitation.

Finally, Please remember, iOS is vastly different than Android. It's restrictive. There are still a few things that I can't do on my iPhone easily because of all the OS level restrictions Apple applies. However, like all the Apple users say "IT JUST WORKS". So the choice is ultimately yours! I hope this helps! Feel free to ask, if you have any further questions.

Cheers!

I just experienced another incident with Apple's service standards. 10 days ago, my relative's iPhone 6S plus mobile's Wi-Fi stopped working suddenly. Then after 2 days, the phone's battery drained rapidly during the night and it finally died completely. It wasn't booting at all. They took it to the service center last Tuesday. The service center guys said they will send the Mobile to Bangalore. They also said, If there's no water damage or parts tampering, the issue will be addressed. Yesterday they called and informed that they are replacing the Mobile.

The ultimate twist in this whole scenario is, the mobile is already out of warranty (Bought in May 2019)!

I think Apple has some policy to address these hard brick issues, even when the mobile is not in warranty. Or maybe they have some threshold like 6 months post-warranty for such issues. In any case, this is what we expect from a company that sells such premium products.

Samsung on the other hand, abandons the customer, even if it's a flagship phone. As I said, I personally experienced it with my S7 Edge dying! Forget about out of warranty, even if the device is in warranty, one must face a lot of trouble to get a replacement.

Last edited:
Finally went ahead and bought the purple iPhone 11, 256GB today for S$1,219 SGD (approx. ₹66,655 INR as per exchange rates today). Setting up and transferring data from my old Android phone will take time. Stay tuned for the full impressions and photos in the coming days.

Suffice it to say that I expect complete peace of mind from my new iPhone for years to come.

Mods please edit the thread title as Bought a purple 256GB iPhone 11.

Last edited:
Finally went ahead and bought the purple iPhone 11, 256GB today for S$1,219 SGD (approx. ₹66,655 INR as per exchange rates today). Setting up and transferring data from my old Android phone will take time. Stay tuned for the full impressions and photos in the coming days.

Suffice it to say that I expect complete peace of mind from my new iPhone for years to come.

Mods please edit the thread title as Bought a purple 256GB iPhone 11.
Congratulations bro!!

Thinking to buy iphone 12. Currently using One Plus 7T. It will be good decision??
If yes then 64gb is enough??

Thinking to buy iphone 12. Currently using One Plus 7T. It will be good decision??
If yes then 64gb is enough??
Nope...One Plus 7T is still a great device and you can wait till iPhone 13, might get 120 Hz refresh rate even on base variants although the rumors are for the Pro variants till now.

64 GB isn't enough as it supports Dolby Vision in videos you would need to transfer your data after every few days to HDD/SSD/Cloud...better go for 128 GB.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock