Good News Bengaluru-based startup is offering 1GB data at Rs 20 to take on Jio

Sai Jai

Reaction score
A Bengaluru-based start up called Wifi Dabba is among one such startups. This is a 13-month old company that believes data cost in India is very high at present. "We believe that even after the launch of Jio there is a lot of room for price wars to happen and we are certain that we can drop the prices even further," says Shubhendu Sharma Co-founder of Wifi Dabba.

This Bengaluru-based startup is currently offering a few data packs for the consumers. The cheapest of them all is Rs 2 plan under which the consumers will get 100 MB. It also offers 500 MB at Rs 10 and 1GB of data at Rs 20. The validity for all three data plans is 24 hours. It is noteworthy that these packs only offer data and no calling facility. All the above mentioned plans are for prepaid users

How to get these data packs?

The data packs are available in the form of prepaid tokens at local tea stalls or bakeries. These packs are available only in Bengaluru for now. While explaining the entire process, Shubhendu says, "We do not ask our users to download any app. They just need to punch in their mobile numbers, fill in the OTP for verification, punch in the key and connect to the internet." He further says -- "For anyone who has accessed Wifi in a hotel, the process is very similar, where you connect to the Wifi Dabba network and a browser page opens for you to key in the details."

How does Wifi Dabba work?

Wifi Dabba is a licensed ISP and provides data facility via small routers powered by fiber optics. These routers are installed in the local kirana shops. Shubhendu believes "fiber optics provides for a more reliable connection as compared to cellular towers, the speed of which degrades depending on the distance." "We provide a speed of 50 Mbps in a radius of 100-200 metres," he adds.

As of now, Wifi Dabba has installed around 350 routers or dabbas across Bengaluru and claims to have over 1800 connection requests in-waiting. Wifi Dabba partners with local cable operators to lay the cables. To create a new connection it currently takes approx 6-7 days. However, in the days to come -- the number of days to set up a new connection may come down to 3-4 days. "We spend Rs 4000 to roll out one dabba and 20 of these dabbas can achieve what one tower of big companies can, at a fraction of the cost," claims Sharma.

Wifi Dabba apparently already has a diverse user profile -- which mostly include the lower income peoples like masons, barbers and even the -going students -- who often have very limited money to spend on the data plans.

This Bengaluru-based startup is offering 1GB data at Rs 20 to take on Jio

Concept is good but I doubt If this would be successful in 4G days where we have intense price wars between telecom companies.

Jio/Airtel are offering 70GB each day for 400 rupees which is effectively ₹5.7 per GB, lower than offered by Wifi Dabba and also telecom plans offer additional calling and sms benefits.

Jio/Airtel are offering 70GB each day for 400 rupees which is effectively ₹5.7 per GB, lower than offered by Wifi Dabba and also telecom plans offer additional calling and sms benefits.
Gud Question

Yeah as u said is true bro but the point 24hrs. Validity in other side we have to pay whole 84 days as advance

Ex) Take Example 22nd November to 25th November as bill cycle period

I used data for 1 day remaining 3 days i didn't used so in this wifi Dabba i spend only 20rs. in this 4 days

whereas in jio/airtel approximately i already paid 30 rs for 4 days

This is the difference bro for that here i don't say monthly plans are not gud but it's gud for daily users whereas this concept is for infrequent users :)

Moreover its wired we know the speed difference of wired & wireless data ;);)

Last edited:
Gud Question

Yeah as u said is true bro but the point 24hrs. Validity in other side we have to pay whole 84 days as advance

Ex) Take Example 22nd November to 25th November as bill cycle period

I used data for 1 one day remaining 3 days i didn't used so in this wifi Dabba i spend only 20rs. in this 4 days

whereas in jio/airtel approximately i already paid 30 rs for 4 days

This is the difference bro for that here i don't say monthly plans are not gud but it's gud for daily users whereas this concept is for infrequent users :)

Moreover its wired we know the speed difference of wired & wireless data ;);)
Yes bro but still somehow I feel this is not going to work.

Now majority of people need internet all the time though they use it or not but to stay connected on Whatsapp or Facebook or emails and other things.

If I am at home I would prefer to take own wired connection and use wifi with that and would end up paying less than that offered by Wifi Dabba if I used for all month.

And when we are travelling we would need connections which keeps us connected with moderate speed and we do not expect it to be super fast. In this case wifi Dabba will not work as user needs to be in it's range which will not be feasible when you are travelling.

Yes wifi Dabba service will work if I want to use data only on limited number of days and do not need it on the go when travelling. After Jio brought data revolution these kind of users are very rare to be found.

And when we are travelling we would need connections which keeps us connected with moderate speed and we do not expect it to be super fast. In this case wifi Dabba will not work as user needs to be in it's range which will not be feasible when you are travelling
Gud Valid Point bro (y)(y)

concept wise, great idea
implementation may take a while..

Don't see much use as most ppl have one or the other net connection and then most public places across bangalore have one or the other wi-fi

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock