Australia rope in Muralitharan as consultant for Sri Lanka Tests

ABCDEFGH

Reaction score
Australia rope in Muralitharan as consultant for Sri Lanka Tests

prv_a4c79_1468433932.jpg

Australia continue to leave no stone unturned in their quest to understand, acclimatise and use spin bowling as a weapon in Sri Lanka ahead of the three-match Test series, beginning on July 26 in Pallekele by roping in Muttiah Muralitharan, unarguably Sri Lanka's greatest Test bowler, as a consultant. Muralitharan joins Thilan Samaraweera, another former Sri Lankan cricketer, to become Australia's second recent acquisition to help them deal with spinning conditions in the sub-continent.

While Samaraweera and India's Sridharan Sriram's involvement with the Australian squad was to help the batsmen improve their gameplay against turn, Muralitharan has been brought in to give an insider's view of the conditions in Sri Lanka and assist the Australian spinners in raising their game.

"He's got a lot of experience here in Sri Lanka. He took a truckload of wickets. It's great to have someone like that helping our spinners in this series - to give us that insight. He's been really good around the group so far, and he's enjoying his time with us," Smith said in a press conference on Wednesday (July 13).

Sri Lanka have struggled in recent times while coping with their transition phase on the field, while also having to deal with some of their best ex-cricketers opting to impart their knowledge of the game to other teams. Earlier, Sri Lanka Cricket had expressed its displeasure at Mahela Jayawardena becoming England's batting consultant and the idea of Muralitharan offering Australian cricketers the opportunity to pick his brains may not be taken too well either.

Sri Lankan captain Angelo Mathews, however, chose not to get worked up by the former spinner's decision to help Australia improve what has long been perceived as a grey area in their all-round game.
"Well, he's a professional and he's into coaching now. I think helping Australia out with insight - he's got so much experience - it will be a great help for them to get some advice," Mathews said.

Muralitharan's most recent assignment as bowling coach was with the Sunrisers Hyderabad during Indian Premier League 2016, where the team won their maiden title. He defended his decision to take up the Australia assignment by stating the need for him to accept 'smaller jobs' and give more time to his family.

"I'm not involved in Sri Lankan cricket at all because there are (other) people who are involved. I don't want to disturb those things because I got an opportunity to do things in India, mostly in the IPL, and now coaching in Kolkata (as a consultant with the Cricket Association of Bengal's development program) as a spin coach.

"Then, on and off, Australia offered me twice so I said 'why not' because you are passing on the knowledge to other people. It doesn't matter whether it's your country or other people. I think giving quality time to my family is most important, that's why I take smaller jobs - two weeks, three weeks (stints as a consultant) because those sort of jobs are not available in Sri Lanka," Muralitharan told cricket.com.au.

http://m.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/...uralitharan-as-consultant-for-sri-lanka-tests

Reactions: iSK
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock