After Galaxy Note 7, Samsung Galaxy S7 edge smartphones are now catching fire

rahul1117kumar

Contributor
Reaction score
Problems for Samsung seem unceasing. After the issue of exploding Galaxy Note 7 escalated to levels where Samsung had to discontinue the production and sales of the smartphone altogether, and recall the ones it sold, the problem looks like it’s travelling to Samsung’s other smartphones. Even when the Note 7 combustion reports were high on news, we heard quite a few incidents of the Galaxy S7 and S7 edge units catching fire, but they were mostly ignored considering them trifling, and as incidents of probable mishandling rather than an actual issue. Also, these issues were quite spaced out in time to be considered worrisome, however, recently a number of cases of the Galaxy S7 and S7 edge catching fire have been reported, and it has begun to raise concern.

The latest case is of a Galaxy S7 edge unit catching fire in Canada. As reported by Android Headlines , a user by the name Elisha Loewen posted a picture of his fired up Galaxy S7 edge on Google+ . He said that his phone caught fire while he was on his way back home from work. “I smelled something burning and thought it was my engine then I notice smoke coming from my console under my radio where I keep my phone. I picked it up and it was extremely hot, then threw it out the car window. I pulled over and covered it in snow to snuff the flame,” he wrote. Fortunately, the incident caused no injury to the user. Loewen approached his carrier Bell after the incident, where he was asked to directly deal with Samsung about the issue. He has sent the images of the exploded phone to Samsung and is awaiting a response.
Then, just a couple of days ago, PhoneArena reported a similar incident in the US. The publication reported that its source who works at a “big US wireless carrier” informed them of a user who came with a burnt up Galaxy S7 edge. According to the user, the phone was on charge all night, using the OEM charger and suspected overcharging as the reason of the explosion. However, what’s really interesting and unfortunate to note here is, that the Galaxy S7 Edge that exploded in this case, was the one the user had recently received after turning the Galaxy Note 7 in.

Last month, there was another case, where a US-based construction worker, Daniel Ramirez’s two-month-old Samsung Galaxy S7 edge smartphone exploded when it was in his pockets. Ramirez first heard a high-pitched whistling from his pockets, followed by a loud bang. The burning device not only burnt Ramirez’s clothes, but also his fingertips when he tried to remove it from his pockets. Since the incident, Ramirez had multiple skin grafts to hide the burnt skin, and had to go through rehab as well. Ramirez sued Samsung in New Jersey, and his suit included photos of his burnt clothes, and burnt skin on his hands and legs.

Days before that, there was another incident reported where, Sarah Crockett, a UK-based teacher, narrowly escaped injury after her Galaxy S7 smartphone blew up in a busy cafe. Crockett was sitting at a cafe with her husband and four-year-old son. “It suddenly just expanded in my hand and got really, really hot. I dropped it on the table. Within a few seconds there was smoke everywhere and I jumped out of the way. The whole thing was just barbecued.” Crockett shared a CCTV footage of the explosion in the cage. And it is important to note here that this or the case of Daniel Ramirez were not even cases of overcharged smartphones.

Although, Samsung back then had released a statement saying, “There are no known safety issues with Galaxy S7 devices. This issue is currently being investigated and our customer services team is in contact with the customer regarding the matter.” However, the recurring incidents seem like Samsung might need to review the cases. Also, the reason why this issue may need immediate attention is because post the Note 7 debacle, Samsung has been incessantly pushing out and promoting the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge smartphones. For many users in countries like India, where the Note 7 never got officially launched, who placed pre-orders for the smartphone, Samsung offered users to the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge as replacement. And reportedly, 90 percent of customers returning the Note 7 chose to replace it for free with the S7 edge. Considering that users are still willing to plant their trust in Samsung by opting for the Galaxy S7 smartphones, the South Korean company needs to be more serious about these incidents.

After Galaxy Note 7, Samsung Galaxy S7 edge smartphones are now catching fire

From Apple to Samsung almost all flagship phones are exploding. What's happening?

Sarkar said:
From Apple to Samsung almost all flagship phones are exploding. What's happening?
Bro, exploding was always there. But after Note 7 issue, media is giving more coverage to such news. They are reporting each and every explosion.

ilikered said:
Bro, exploding was always there. But after Note 7 issue, media is giving more coverage to such news. They are reporting each and every explosion.

Have to agree with that, my former Galaxy S4 used to heat up a lot. Though it didn't caught fire but have to agree its there from long time. Just didn't got that much attention.

Sarkar said:

No complaint from real flag ships like oneplus3

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock