Aam aadmi budget: Cars, mobiles, fridges cheaper

Reaction score
Aam aadmi budget: Cars, mobiles, fridges cheaper

MaungLf.jpg

cheaper.jpg

When he stood firm and chose to open his government’s last budget despite the rising din of Telengana state issue in Lok Sabha, it was a cue that finance minister P Chidambaram would go big on the element of surprise. And, it was.

c99dc3ac-e8d0-4458-b5be-a5fd4ee1a154wallpaper1.jpg

Union home minister P Chidambaram arrives for a cabinet meeting at South Block in New Delhi.

It was a sign that he was willing to step out of his comfort zone in more ways than one.

He based the first part of the UPA’s final budget on a cautious ‘stay-the-course’ approach, keeping in mind a still-fragile economy, rather than the upcoming general election.

There was little room to splurge anyway.

Yet, the finance minister, with some nifty tweaking, offered India’s vast consuming class and suffering industrial sector from some substantial relief.

He announced a sharp 4 percentage point cut in cars and telecom handsets—a move that will make most cars and mobiles handhelds cheaper.

Read: Small cars, SUVs, cellphones, consumer durables to get cheaper

He announced tax cuts for consumer durable industry that could make TVs and refrigerators cheaper.

Together, the indirect tax cuts drew parallel to the stimulus that was last seen in the during 2008-09 when India was also hit by the global financial crisis.

The objective: cut prices, spur demand, boost investment to goad companies to add capacity lines and add jobs.

An Interim Budget, unlike a full version, is not a platform to announce new programmes.

The interim budget did, however, walked the tightrope of breaking good news for average consumers — who usually look forward to sops — and healing the economy.

The mere avoidance of too many sops is the main such step.

The annual budget can raise or shave off people’s incomes. So, millions of Indians tune in to the widely anticipated budget speech, huddling around television sets in homes, offices and even tea stalls.

The finance minister did, however, use the occasion to present a 10-year report card of the economy, focusing the constraints the government has had to face, as he walked the talk on fiscal discipline through a set of carefully crafted arguments.

The finance minister also had something for those who were curiously peering into what could be bubbling inside the Congress poll manifesto-writing laboratory.

The next government will have to begin afresh on India’s two biggest tax reforms initiatives the Direct Taxes Code (DTC), aimed to overhaul archaic income tax laws, and the Goods and Services Tax (GST), which would stitch together a common national market by replacing a slew of different types of statelevel levies with a single national sales tax.

Chidambaram said that government would be able to contain the CAD – the gap between dollar inflows and outflows that are current in nature—within $45 billion from the record $88 billion or 4.8% of GDP last year.

Last year, the finance minister had vowed not to cross the “red-line” on fiscal deficit of 4.8% of GDP.

On Monday, he said the government has more than achieved that, with the deficit set to fall to 4.6% of GDP from the previous year’s 5.1%.

With an untamed deficit, India could face damaging “downgrade” by international credit rating agencies.

Despite the austerity, the minister set aside ample resources to fund requirements under the signature Food Security Law, which will provide two-thirds of Indians, or about 800 million people, cheap food.

The scheme will cost Rs. 1.15 lakh crore to the exchequer.

The food security law, the largest such programme in the world, is one of the several rights-based welfare programmes of the UPA.

The rural jobs scheme NREGA, enacted by the UPA in its previous term, is widely believed to have help it come back to power a second time in 2009.

The road, this time, is paved with a lot of challenges, from a feisty main Opposition, BJP, to an economic slowdown and stubborn inflation.

Aam aadmi budget: Cars, mobiles, fridges cheaper - Hindustan Times

in my personal view budget is not reflected keeping common people in mind instead it focused on giving rise to automobile, gadget and electronics we people need creation of job, better road, better structure and new investment for growth of industries, better health facility in rural area with good infrastructure in govt hospital, increase in export export sector, with proper thought in tax format (current tax structure in burden on common man). for eg we pay tax for everything in hospital, policy, telephone, electricity their is service tax, toll tax, vat on cloth, food grain, water tax, property tax, sales tax, wealth tax , entertainment tax , even we pay income tax, so basically i dont know how much tax i am paying tax because i am paying for everything i use.

Highlights of P Chidambaram's interim budget 2014

Finance minister P Chidambaram presented the interim budget for the fiscal year 2014-15 on Monday to cover expenditure until the government's term ends in May.
His speech was repeatedly disrupted by protests over the proposed division of Andhra Pradesh to create Telangana state.

Fiscal Deficit
•Fiscal deficit seen at 4.6 percent of GDP in 2013/14

•Says need to bring down fiscal deficit to 3% of GDP by 2016/17

Current Account Deficit:
•Current account deficit for 2013/14 projected at $45 billion
•Forex reserves to rise by $15 billion by end of 2013/14

Exports
•Merchandise exports seen at $326 billion in 2013/14, up 6.3 percent year on year.
•Agriculture exports xxpected to touch $45 billion in 2013/14, up from $41 billion in 2012/13

Spending
•Plan expenditure for 2014/15 seen at same level as previous year
•Non plan spending estimated at about 12.08 trillion rupees in 2014/15

Subsidies
•Total spending on food, fertilisers and fuel at 2.5 trillion rupees in 2014/15

Defence
Spending raised to 2.24 trillion rupees in 2014/15, up 10 percent year on year

Banks Restructuring
Govt to provide 112 billion rupees capital infusion in state run banks in 2014/15

Finance minister comments:
Our objectives were fiscal consolidation, reviving growth cycle, and enhancing manufacturing, said Chidambaram.
I can confidently assert that the fiscal deficit is declining, the current account deficit is constrained, inflation is moderated; exchange rate is stable, he said.
I wonder how many have noted the fact the Indian economy is 11th largest in the world, he said.
The fortunes of India will have significant impact on world economy in the future.

© DREAM DTH ©

abhi1276 said:
in my personal view budget is not reflected keeping common people in mind instead it focused on giving rise to automobile, gadget and electronics we people need creation of job, better road, better structure and new investment for growth of industries, better health facility in rural area with good infrastructure in govt hospital, increase in export export sector, with proper thought in tax format (current tax structure in burden on common man). for eg we pay tax for everything in hospital, policy, telephone, electricity their is service tax, toll tax, vat on cloth, food grain, water tax, property tax, sales tax, wealth tax , entertainment tax , even we pay income tax, so basically i dont know how much tax i am paying tax because i am paying for everything i use.

Yea bro you are right, we really don't know that how much kind of taxes we use to pay

There is a real need to increase tax on wealthy people in slabs to pay off expenditure on several schemes intended for common man. Whats the use of reducing levies on items like SUV which are mostly used by wealthy people...

This is election budget. Just breaking economy..... So next government will be bound to raise prices again so congress will get issue in opposition

kramkumar said:
Mr.P.Chidambaram is not a Home Minister, he is the Finance minister.

ya... whatever .. yet another rubber stamp in the hands of RaulVinci ki italian maa .:'(

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock