Aadhaar (UIDAI) News & Updates

Do Indians Have Right To Privacy? 9 Judges To Hear Case Key To Aadhaar

The Supreme Court today said the judges, including Chief Justice of India JS Khehar, are expected to hear the case tomorrow.

A five-judge bench said, "It is essential to decide whether there is right to privacy under the Indian constitution. We are of the view it has to be decided by a 9-judge bench"

An eight-judge bench in 1954 and six-judge bench in 1962 had both said there is no right to privacy. Whether they were correct should be decided by a larger bench of nine judges, the top court said.

Do Indians Have Right To Privacy? 9 Judges To Hear Case Key To Aadhaar

Privacy not absolute, says Supreme Court

The court said that an attempt to define the right to privacy may cause more harm than good.

Privacy is not absolute and cannot prevent the State from making laws imposing reasonable restrictions on citizens, the Supreme Court observed on Wednesday. It noted that ‘right to privacy’ was in fact too “amorphous” a term.

Revisiting the question of privacy, a nine-judge bench of the Supreme Court on Wednesday observed that right to privacy was not absolute. This comes 55 years after the apex court decided that privacy is not a basic right for citizens. The decision of the judges is pivotal to petitions that challenge making the Aadhaar scheme mandatory for millions of Indians.

Aadhaar debate: Right to privacy not absolute, says Supreme Court

Apple has your personal data, why can't the State, asks SC

"When one can share personal data with private players like Apple, why not share with it with the government? What's the difference?" asked Justice DY Chandrachud, one of nine judges determining if citizens' privacy is a constitutional right.
"99% of the people are unconcerned and not aware of the purpose for which data is collected," he said. As examples, the judge said iPhones and iPads are accessed by users' thumbprints and if an individual books a train ticket, emails or ads pop up offering alternative flights for the same travel.

Aadhaar Case: Apple Gets Your Personal Data, Why Not The State, Asks Supreme Court

Apple has your personal data, why can't the State, asks SC

"When one can share personal data with private players like Apple, why not share with it with the government? What's the difference?" asked Justice DY Chandrachud, one of nine judges determining if citizens' privacy is a constitutional right.
"99% of the people are unconcerned and not aware of the purpose for which data is collected," he said. As examples, the judge said iPhones and iPads are accessed by users' thumbprints and if an individual books a train ticket, emails or ads pop up offering alternative flights for the same travel.

Aadhaar Case: Apple Gets Your Personal Data, Why Not The State, Asks Supreme Court

What? I dont use apple products and no private person has any of my personal details. Even google, facebook, twitter etc... etc... does not have my real name, why should i share my details with some private entity. Except my Passport and Aadhaar none other has all my details. Even election card shows myself older by 3 yrs. Hope Aadhaar is made more secure and used by govt for correcting all govt related data by inter linking them with Aadhaar.

Which OS and antivirus are you using in ur PC bro ? And are you using android ? If yes then which keyboard ?

PC keylogger and word prediction on android works personal info you type on your keyboard. And when you turn on GPS Google knows where you are in the world and can even tell whether you are moving or stand still. I think it's a privacy breach

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock