20 years of Internet in India

• Thread starter Thread starter SENTHIL KUMAR
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 11
  • Views Views: Views 1,434

SENTHIL KUMAR

Banned
Reaction score
It was on August 15, 1995 Videsh Sanchar Nigam Limited (VSNL) formally launched the Internet for the Indian public. Yestreday the 20th anniversary of the internet.

The Gateway Internet Access Service (GIAS) was launched on August 15, 1995 in Bombay (now Mumbai), Delhi, Calcutta (now Kolkata) and Madras (now Chennai). The initial launch of Internet services in India was with a rate of Rs 25,000 for a 250 hour TCP/IP account for commercial organisations at 9.6 kbps speed.

The official launch of the Internet for the Indian public ended up being a big goof up as VSNL had no estimation about the hidden demand, this was coupled with hardware and network issues. However, post the botched launch, VSNL was able to add 10,000 Internet users in just six months.

Twenty years later, according to the latest data released by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), there are a total of 302.35 million Internet subscribers in India.

Greatkarthik said:
which is the fastest internet as of now ?
Airtel 4g ???

I think Tata and Airtel both have 100 Mbps wired connections in some areas.

But sadly not pan India basis, mostly concentrated in few area. :'(

Even our PM is also not getting that much of speed in office, he has to satisfy himself with only 34 Mbps :lol

Don't worry guys; At least substantial employment provided during expansion to all areas & Telecommunication graduates will have jobs for many years ;)

Good share dear, But sadly I can say still ISP'S are not giving speed to the users, I am still getting at 9.6 kbps speed from BSNL .But Tata Docomo has some good speed in my area. Now BSNL company cut validity on 15Agust from 7days to 5days without any notice. The gift of 15Agust ?

Back
Top Bottom