17th Asian Games 2014 (News and Updates)

• Thread starter Thread starter superdudebuddy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 132
  • Views Views: Views 9,960
RE: 17th Asian Games 2014

Top players to skip Asian Games, SAI shocked

The sports ministry and the Sports Authority of India on Wednesday expressed shock at the decision of seasoned stars Leander Paes, Sania Mirza and Rohan Bopanna to skip the Asian Games, starting on September 19.

Instead, these athletes will now be chasing ranking points and money in the ATP and WTA Tour events. "We have been kept in the dark all along and even today I am hearing only from the media that these three players will not take part," a top official in the sports ministry told MAIL TODAY.When the Indian Olympic Association initially drew up a jumbo list of 942 athletes and officials for the Games, tennis had named a full complement of players. Once Somdev Devvarman said he would be opting out as his ATP singles ranking was slipping, the All India Tennis Association nominated Divij Sharan in his place.

Yet, with the Asian Games file pending with the sports ministry and the Prime Minister's Office (PMO) for over a fortnight, nobody in the AITA deemed it fit to inform these two bodies."I have no idea about tennis players pulling out. In case Leander is not going, there is no reason why his father [Dr Vece Paes] should be part of the team cleared on Tuesday. I also see no reason why Sania's mother [Naseema Mirza] needs to go with the tennis contingent as manager," said Jiji Thomson, director general, SAI.

Read More

RE: 17th Asian Games 2014

Protests about North Korea flag ahead of Asian Games

SEOUL: South Korea has removed the flags of all competing nations from its streets ahead of the upcoming Asian Games in Incheon because of protests about the flying of rival North Korea's flags.

The national flags of the 45 countries, including North Korea, had flown in Incheon and nine nearby cities since last Friday. But they were replaced by flags of the Olympic Council of Asia and ones bearing the Asian Games emblem following the complaints, according to the organizing committee. South Korean prosecutors, police and other officials met Thursday and decided to allow North Korean flags to be hoisted only in limited places such as stadiums, sports venues and the athletes' village, according to a Seoul prosecution office.

When North Korea attended previous major sports held in South Korea, such as the 2002 Asian Games and the 2003 University Games, its national flag was flown in such limited places, South Korean Unification Ministry spokesman Lim Byeong Cheol said. Despite the North's participation in the games, animosity is high between the Koreas, which are separated by the world's most heavily armed border. North Korea has conducted an unusually high number of rocket and missile test-launches this year, expressing anger over U.S.-South Korean war games. South Korea has rejected the North's calls for improving ties, citing what Seoul says is a lack of sincerity.

North Korea is sending a 273-member delegation to the games, which includes athletes, coaches and judges, with a group of 94 arriving on Thursday. The North canceled its previous plans to dispatch cheerleaders in protest at what it calls Seoul's hostility. North Korea boycotted the 1986 Asian Games and the 1988 Summer Olympics, both in Seoul, but has since attended several other major sports events held in the South.

Read More

The 17th AsianGames begin today in Incheon,South Korea. The 16 days event will end on October 4, 2014. The slogan of the games is “Diversity Shines Here”.

There will be approximately 20,000 participants, comprised of 13,000 athletes and team officials from the 45 NOCs, and 7,000 media. Athletes will compete in 36 sports, including the 28 Olympic Games sports on the programme for Rio de Janeiro 2016.

Big Honour to Lead India in Asian Games Opening Ceremony: Sardar Singh
SfvvctB.jpg

New Delhi: The honour to carry India's flag in the opening ceremony of 17th Asian Games couldn't have come at a better time for hockey team skipper Sardar Singh, who feels it will not only spur him but the entire squad to break their 16-year gold jinx in the continental event.
Sardar was on Thursday named as the flag-bearer of the Indian contingent for Friday's opening ceremony in Incheon, and the star midfielder said he is already getting goosebumps.
"It is definitely a big moment for me. It is a big honour to lead the nation in the opening ceremony of a multisport event like the Asian Games. Tomorrow (Friday) will definitely be one of the best moments of my career. I am already getting goosebumps," Sardar said from the South Korean city.
Asked if the responsibility would bring added pressure on him, Sardar said: "I don't think there will be any added pressure because it is an off-field activity. But it will definitely motivate me and my teammates to give our best on the field."
"Our mission is to win the gold here and that is what we aspire from this event. We are determined to come back with gold," he said.

Big Honour to Lead India in Asian Games Opening Ceremony: Sardar Singh - Asian Games 2014 News

First medal for India at Asian Games 2014! Indian shooter Shweta Chaudhary wins a bronze in 10m Air Pistol.

Back
Top Bottom