Xiaomi accused of recording, sending data of millions of users to remote servers

• Thread starter Bapun
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 17
  • Views: Views 1,909

Bapun

Staff member
Community Manager
Solutions
Reaction score
India’s top-selling smartphone brand, Xiaomi, has reportedly been accused of recording the data of millions of its users, raising privacy concerns.

Cybersecurity researcher Gabi Cirlig discovered that his Redmi Note 8 was ‘watching much of what he was doing on his phone’. The smartphone apparently tracked the user behaviour and sent data to remote servers hosted by another Chinese firm, Alibaba, reported Forbes.

While investigating, Cirlig further found that the default Xiaomi browser recorded all the websites that were visited on the device. This also included search activities on Google and privacy-focused DuckDuckGo. Cirlig also noticed that the device tracked his activities even when he was supposedly using the incognito mode — a setting that prevents browsing history or cache from being stored.

Xiaomi accused of recording, sending data of millions of users to remote servers

Xiaomi denies it. Which was expected.
Source

In my experience.

1. There is no sign out option on normal Mi Browser (not Mint browser). We have to sign out from entire device to log out of whole phone compromising device security to just log out of Mi Browser. I don't what other browser has so terrible account feature.

2. If you revoke authorization feature. Browser is not usable.

OxqPWRL.png

Dunno which normal browser uses same horrible protocols as claimed by Manu Kumar Jain.

Okay, so it's nice when it came to Aarogya Setu which is helpful during a pandemic. Every leader is concerned about privacy and other bs. But no one will do anything about privacy concern on highest shipped phones of the country.

If it was America. Xiaomi would have been torn into shreds by senate now.

Shows how much our country is concerned about user's privacy.

Okay, so it's nice when it came to Aarogya Setu which is helpful during a pandemic. Every leader is concerned about privacy and other bs. But no one will do anything about privacy concern on highest shipped phones of the country.

If it was America. Xiaomi would have been torn into shreds by senate now.

Shows how much our country is concerned about user's privacy.
Privacy is a myth in the Internet world.

Privacy is a myth in the Internet world.
But fines aren't myth for the tech world. I hope government squeezes fines out these companies like Xiaomi. So that others can't even dare to do same. Asian government's are week. They need to learn from US and EU.

But fines aren't myth for the tech world. I hope government squeezes fines out these companies like Xiaomi. So that others can't even dare to do same.
I think all companies collect data including google and other Chinese manufactures. It just one is out and other doesn't.

I think all companies collect data including google and other Chinese manufactures. It just one is out and other doesn't.
The thing is one notifies clearly before collecting data and doesn't misuses it. And the other puts it under shady setting. It's comparison of ethical vs unethical here.

The thing is one notifies clearly before collecting data and doesn't misuses it. And the other puts it under shady setting. It's comparison of ethical vs unethical here.
That's what I am saying that even if others are doing that in an unethical way or collecting the information which they shouldn't still we common people will not come to know that.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock