Discussion Vi discontinues Rs 279 plan, reduces validity of Rs 99 & Rs 128 plan [Mumbai Circle]

• Thread starter TJ_DJ
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 8
  • Views: Views 2,804

TJ_DJ

Reaction score
From 28-May-2023, Vi has discontinued the popular Rs 279 plan (90 days Service Validity).
  • This plan was the cheapest option so far, providing Service Validity of 90 days, 500 MB of Data and Rs 279 Secondary Balance.
  • With calling rate of 2.5p/s, this plan used to provide a good 186 minutes worth of talktime for Local and National Calls (by using the Secondary Balance).
  • This worked out to be just ~Rs 86.8 per 28 days making it the cheapest option for Vi recharge, for light users, or Secondary SIM users.
Other Changes:
Also, Rs 99 plan validity has been revised to just 15 days from the earlier 28 days. This again makes it effectively ~ Rs 184.8 per 28 days.
For the Rs 128 plan, validity has been revised to a mere 10 days from the earlier 28 days making it almost a no-go plan. It does not provide any call/data/SMS benefits either.

Alternate Options:
It may be observed that the cheapest option now is a new plan: Rs 429 plan (78 days Service Validity)
  • This plan provides Unlimited Calling, 6 GB Data and 600 SMS with a Service Validity of 78 days
  • On calculation this works out to be around ~ Rs 154 per 28 days, which is apparently the new ARPU set by most Telecom Operators
  • This explains the hike in effective prices by reduction of validity / or discontinuation of certain low value plans
Note: It seems these changes have been done only for Mumbai Circle so far, but looking at the things, they may be implemented across India. Airtel has already made Rs 155 as the cheapest available plan for recharge since Feb'2023.

I thought only the 'BSNL Babus', whoever are responsible for making the new tariff plans (or killing old good plans by cutting down the validity) had the access to the World's best quality weed. Looks like now VoId persons are going to give tough competition to them.

So the reality is "Nobody wants any low paying subscriber, even if the volume is very very high". So for those people, it is high Time to stop recharging their secondary numbers, at all.

Actually VoId is too stupid to still follow the footsteps of Airtel. Sadly, Once a Slave, always a Slave. Airtel hiking minimum recharge has one meaning. They just want to use the precious 900MHz spectrum for 4G + 5G using DSS and not for 2G. They do NOT want customers paying less than Rs150 a month in their network.

But VoId's case is totally different. Any customer is a good customer for them. They do NOT have the luxury to cherry-pick and select who should be using their network. At least they should have made minimum recharge at Rs125 and UL calls at Rs149. But NO.

Last edited:
So for those people, it is high Time to stop recharging their secondary numbers, at all.
That's right, telcos are only interested in being the primary operator, they are looking to end the concept of secondary connections. The target is one subscriber one sim, so you can pick the one which best suits your needs most of the time.

I thought only the 'BSNL Babus',
I was also thinking on same line after reading this news

The company will continue to make investments for expanding 4G coverage and capacity, especially in its 17 priority circles and introduce 5G services once funding is in place

Read more at:
Voda Idea in advanced talks with vendors for 5G rollout, launch subject to funding

to be more specific
Vi is new BSNL in BHARAT
1) Vi ONLY making announcement after announcement ,as them become Pukka (strict) followers of bsnl management/board, who just announce 4g is coming from 2015-2023,
2)loosing customer QoQ and YoY, same as bsnl during last decade
3) no interest of promoter, same as bsnl during last decade
4) no new network investment, neither new tower, nor site, nor Fiber backhaul nor new technology like volte/vowifi/5g
5) almost non attractive tariff
6) keeping spectrum idle , just like bsnl's band 41
7) not paying dues of vendor, same as bsnl, which delayed gear and employee payments
8) begging to govt even for minor issues
9) shouting at industry forum for ultra low tariff, unsustainable etc.
10) didnt close operation, which result in mounting of losses

Last edited:
can we que this 279 plan.

Ported to Vi last month only for ths plan..

can we que this 279 plan.

Ported to Vi last month only for ths plan..
Which circle are you from? This ₹279 plan is no longer available in Mumbai Circle, but is still available in other circles. I am not sure if this plan may be queued. It is a bit confusing, I'll try to explain —

As far as I remember, whenever I recharged, I have got service validity extended by the number of additional days, but the benefits of ₹279 plan would expire exactly in 90 days of the recharge date.

For eg:
If I recharge on 01-March-2023 with ₹279, I get service validity of 90 days, (till 29-May-2023). So,
  • 500 MB data valid till 29-May-2023
  • ₹279 Secondary Talktime valid till 29-May-2023
  • Service Validity till 29-May-2023
Now, if you recharge again, say on 10-March-2023 to queue up this recharge, what happens is the Service Validity gets added (to the previous service validity expiry date), but the Plan benefits validity remains only up to 90 days from day of the queued recharge (so, till 07-June-2023 in this case). Hence, considering you have done no usage on the number yet, this is what will happen:
  • 500 MB + 500 MB data valid till 07-June-2023
  • ₹279 + ₹279 Secondary Talktime valid till 07-June-2023
  • Service Validity till 26-Aug-2023 (this is the earlier expiry date of 29-May-2023 plus a fresh 90 days due to the "queued" recharge)
So, you may ask me what would your tariff be after 29-May-2023? This would be the base tariff of your circle, which I think is ₹1/min for calls, and ₹1.5 per SMS. All Data would be charged at PAYG rates. So from 30-May-2023 to 29-Aug-2023, you would still have Service Validity, outgoing and incoming will work, but will be at PAYG rates.

Again, I know this is kind of lame of Vi not to extend the validity of benefits with a queued recharge, but well — it is what it is 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Which circle are you from? This ₹279 plan is no longer available in Mumbai Circle, but is still available in other circles. I am not sure if this plan may be queued. It is a bit confusing, I'll try to explain —

As far as I remember, whenever I recharged, I have got service validity extended by the number of additional days, but the benefits of ₹279 plan would expire exactly in 90 days of the recharge date.

For eg:
If I recharge on 01-March-2023 with ₹279, I get service validity of 90 days, (till 29-May-2023). So,
  • 500 MB data valid till 29-May-2023
  • ₹279 Secondary Talktime valid till 29-May-2023
  • Service Validity till 29-May-2023
Now, if you recharge again, say on 10-March-2023 to queue up this recharge, what happens is the Service Validity gets added (to the previous service validity expiry date), but the Plan benefits validity remains only up to 90 days from day of the queued recharge (so, till 07-June-2023 in this case). Hence, considering you have done no usage on the number yet, this is what will happen:
  • 500 MB + 500 MB data valid till 07-June-2023
  • ₹279 + ₹279 Secondary Talktime valid till 07-June-2023
  • Service Validity till 26-Aug-2023 (this is the earlier expiry date of 29-May-2023 plus a fresh 90 days due to the "queued" recharge)
So, you may ask me what would your tariff be after 29-May-2023? This would be the base tariff of your circle, which I think is ₹1/min for calls, and ₹1.5 per SMS. All Data would be charged at PAYG rates. So from 30-May-2023 to 29-Aug-2023, you would still have Service Validity, outgoing and incoming will work, but will be at PAYG rates.

Again, I know this is kind of lame of Vi not to extend the validity of benefits with a queued recharge, but well — it is what it is 🤷🏻‍♂️
Its still available bro. am from Kerala circle.

Currently on 279 plan, which is set to expire on 7th sep. i will avoid queing up if there is no plan benefits. better i will port out to bsnl for 1198 plan after sep.

I find it atrocious that Telcos can discontinue plans without giving any notice to customers. I don't think there in any provision by TRAI or DoT regarding discontinuation of a Recharge Pack. There is provision only regarding change in tariff, which cannot be applied to a new customer until they complete 6 months with the network.

So, Telcos can anytime change/discontinue recharge packs, keeping customers in the lurch. I feel like taking this up with Vi Customer Care, but I know I am not going to get any favorable responses from them.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock