Discussion TRAI will Remove IUC charges from 2021

No they are actually the net receivers as they have assymetric traffic with weight on incoming calls more than outgoing calls.
After Jio's decision on off-net calls with iuc and AVOID's decision with truly unlimited, now asymmetric traffic might change!

Last edited:
Most likely Jio will bring back UL calls from January 2020. Already Jio was in profit while they introduced IUC and now tariff has been raised. Others are not charging IUC. So considering all this factors, it may happen.

i think- this is got up case trai with mobile operators, which continues to suffer customers another year, then again December, 2020 trai again will declare that- it may continue for another year. :oops::oops:

Earlier Situation

Jii gave unlimited calls, had to pay good amount in form IUC charges to other operators. Data again was provided at very low rates again causing revenue downfall. They went to TDSAT to scrap IUC but did not happen and transffered burden to customers , incase of data too plan prices were revised.

Other operators tried to match their plan / benefits offered with those of Jio for last few years but eventually the recent tax case brought situation to alarming level thus again prompting to take measures to brinng in more revenue. Both airtel & vodafone decided to increase plan charges, maybe Jio was also brought into loop for this.

Present Situation

Jio is stil giving unlimited calls + data at lowest price but IUC has caused disappointment among users. They will surely find ways to maintain a good revenue rather than give more freebies. I think they will bring rates on par with others and then scrap IUC

Airtel / Vodafone again will get some earning from IUC charges but things might not be same as before, 2 reasons for this... One is obviously Jio imposing IUC which will lead to minor downfall in outgoing calls from their network and airtel/vodafone will see more calls originating from their network thus becoming IUC payers. Also they r under pressure to search for funds bcoz of pending tax arrears apart from regular operations. Foreign Funding permission also being sought by airtel to take care of expenses

I think we should be ready for another jump in prices and most likely it will again be an uniform decision. All operators have understood that they cannot lose more money in trying to fend off others and now on a healthy competition model will be adopted.

If VOWIFi is brought in then IUC charges will still be applicable on calls made or this may well be key factor for operators in reducing payout. There might b special incentives rolled out for using this option thus directing more traffic to it, it will help take load off network too thus improving connectivity for others

I think Jio would give unlimited calls when there is floor pricing in Indian telecom industry.
When there is a floor price for voice calls then no operator is allowed to offer free unlimited calling. The only way Jio can offer free unlimited calls is from Jan 2021 when IUC is scrapped and if floor pricing is not imposed by trai for voice. Though floor price for data is strongly needed to standardise the tariffs and to ensure a congestion free network.

Now its interesting that What can Jio do on IUC, effects till 31-Dec-2020?
My guess is that JIO will stand ground on 6p/min for one more year and others will follow in a phased manner. No choice for them i guess to provide unlimited calls for one more year as they are already bleading heavily..

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock