Thunderbird from Mozilla Messaging

• Thread starter Napster
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 10
  • Views: Views 4,789

Napster

Reaction score
Thunderbird is a great email client from the same people who brought you the Firefox browser.

Thunderbird gives you IMAP/POP support, a built-in RSS reader, support for HTML mail, powerful quick search, saved search folders, advanced message filtering, message grouping, labels, return receipts, smart address book LDAP address completion, import tools, and the ability to manage multiple e-mail and newsgroup accounts.

Tabbed email
An Archive feature similar to the one in GMail
Lightning fast search
Smart folders

I am using Mozilla Thunderbird e-mail client since last one year. This is very simple and good alternate to Outlook Express. I don't like Microsoft outlook, but most of the IT techies use this. My Thunderbird version is 3.1.0. Thanks for the latest version information.

Reader Dan subscribes to various e-mail lists, and each e-mail he receives contains multiple Web links. Here's his dilemma:

"My reading preference is to open all of the links that interest me and then switch to Firefox to read them. I would like to open all of these links from Thunderbird without having to switch back to e-mail after each one that I open. Is there a way to do this?"

Makes sense to me, Dan. After all, why should you have to click a link, go back to your mail client, click the next link, then wash, rinse, and repeat?

Because you're a Thunderbird user, there's a fairly easy fix: ThunderBrowse, which opens Web pages right inside Thunderbird. In other words, it saves you from having to leave your mail program at all.

Normally, when you click a link inside an e-mail, Thunderbird pops open your Web browser. With ThunderBrowse running, that same click produces a new tab inside Thunderbird, allowing you to view the page alongside your inbox. How handy is that!

The add-on is quite versatile, with plenty of settings you can tweak to customize it to your liking. (I especially like the support for the middle mouse button, which you can configure to, say, open links in new tabs rather than the currently visible one.)

Indeed, in my (admittedly brief) tests of ThunderBrowse, it worked quite nicely. It took me a short while to get accustomed to using it, but after I did, I found myself loving not having to switch back and forth between browser and 'bird.

Consequently, if you're a Thunderbird user, I definitely recommend taking this add-on for a test drive.

Source : pcw

Compose Window Redesign

LX02kic.png

The compose window has been reworked to help users find features more easily and to make composing a message faster and more straightforward. The compose window now also takes up less space with recipients listed in “pills” instead of an entire line for every address.

Dark Mode

mLJmz2h.png

Thunderbird’s new Dark Mode is easier on the eyes for those working in the dark, and it has the added benefit of looking really cool! The Dark Mode even works when writing and reading emails – so you are not suddenly blinded while you work. Thunderbird will look at your operating system settings to see if you have enabled dark mode OS-wide and respect those settings. Here are the instructions for setting dark mode in Mac, and setting dark mode in Windows.

Calendar and Tasks Integrated

Thunderbird’s Lightning calendar and tasks add-on is now a part of the application itself, which means everyone now has access to these features the moment they install Thunderbird. This change also sets the stage for a number of future improvements the Thunderbird team will make in the calendar. Much of this will be focused on improved interoperability with the mail part of Thunderbird, as well as improving the user experience of the calendar.

Account Setup & Account Central Updated

B4eDJQl.png

The Account Setup window and the Account Central tab, which appears when you do not have an account setup or when you select an existing account in the folder tree, have both been updated. The layout and dialogues have been improved in order to make it easier to understand the information displayed and to find relevant settings. The Account Central tab also has new information about the Thunderbird project and displays the version you are using.

Folder Icons and Colors Update

52jh3GH.png

Folder icons have been replaced and modernized with a new vector style. This will ensure better compatibility with HiDPI monitors and dark mode. Vector icons also means you will be able to customize their default colors to better distinguish and categorize your folders list.

Minimize to Tray
Windows users have reason to rejoice, as Thunderbird 78 can now be minimized to tray. This has been a repeatedly requested feature that has been available through many popular add-ons, but it is now part of Thunderbird core – no add-on needed! This feature has been a long time coming and we hope to bring more operating-system specific features for each platform to Thunderbird in the coming releases.

End-to-End Encrypted Email Support

8e5SwHc.png

Thunderbird 78.2, due out in the coming months, will offer a new feature that allows you to end-to-end encrypt your email messages via OpenPGP. In the past this feature was achieved in Thunderbird primarily with the Enigmail add-on, however, in this release we have brought this functionality into core Thunderbird. We’d like to offer a special thanks to Patrick Brunschwig for his years of work on Enigmail, which laid the groundwork for this integrated feature, and for his assistance throughout its development. The new feature is also enabled by the RNP library, and we’d like to thank the project’s developers for their close collaboration and hard work addressing our needs.

End-to-end encryption for email can be used to ensure that only the sender and the recipients of a message can read the contents. Without this protection it is easy for network administrators, email providers and government agencies to read your messages. If you would like to learn more about how end-to-end encryption in Thunderbird works, check out our article on Introduction to End-to-end encryption in Thunderbird. If you would like to learn more about the development of this feature or participate in testing, check out the OpenPGP Thunderbird wiki page.

Thunderbird Release Notes
Version 78.0: Thunderbird — Release Notes (78.0)

Official announcement can be found at: What’s New in Thunderbird 78

:rolleyes:

Thunderbird version 78.0 is only offered as direct download from thunderbird.net and not as an upgrade from Thunderbird version 68 or earlier. A future release will provide updates from earlier versions.

I tried the beta version of 78. Most of my add-ons didn't work. Hence rolled back to 68. I'm not going to update till the add-ons are compatible.

I tried the beta version of 78. Most of my add-ons didn't work. Hence rolled back to 68. I'm not going to update till the add-ons are compatible.
Yes, they have added a note about it in their announcement. I skipped it on my post.

About Add-ons
As with previous major releases, it may take time for authors of legacy extensions to update their add-ons to support the new release. So if you are using add-ons we recommend you not update manually to 78.0, and instead wait for Thunderbird to automatically update to 78. We encourage users to reach out to their add-on’s author to let them know that you are interested in using it in 78.

:rolleyes:

Thunderbird version 78.0 is only offered as direct download from thunderbird.net and not as an upgrade from Thunderbird version 68 or earlier. A future release will provide updates from earlier versions.
It makes sense, as the add-ons aren't compatible and the profile config too changed. If we update, downgrading breaks the profile.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock