The Cricket Chat Thread !!

• Thread starter Thread starter Karthik
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 562
  • Views Views: Views 38,076
RE: Cricket In Daily Newspapers

'Mature' Warner keen to grab ODI chance

10dhbo5.jpg

David Warner is confident he is much better prepared for one-day international cricket than he was when he last played for Australia more than two years ago. Warner has been picked in the ODI squad to take on South Africa in October and he could be auditioning for a long-term role in the side as they embark on the lengthy path to the 2015 World Cup, while he also hopes it could be a stepping stone towards Test cricket.

He last played ODI cricket in a one-off match against Scotland in August 2009, after making six other appearances earlier that year during the home summer. Warner didn't grasp his one-day opportunities, and by his own admission struggled to adjust from Twenty20 to the 50-over format, but he has now developed so much that he was a standby player in the Test squad during the recent series in Sri Lanka.
"I'm definitely more mature this time around," Warner said after learning of his call-up while in India playing for New South Wales in the Champions League. "I know what I've got to do and I know what to expect. I know the opposition that we're coming up against and I know exactly what I could be up against with Morne Morkel and Dale Steyn. I've just got to go out there and play the way I play and hopefully I can score some runs.

India will be itching for revenge: Cook

rsesm0.jpg

England outplayed India in all three formats of the game in its recent home series but one-day skipper Alastair Cook says beating M. S. Dhoni's men in their backyard in an ODI series next month would be a lot tougher task.

Stating that Indian team would be “itching” for revenge, Cook said, “Of course it will be difficult over there. They will have a point to prove and the conditions will obviously suit them.

“I doubt we will see much green grass on the wickets we play on”.

“They are world champions at home and itching to get revenge. It is down to us and how we cope with conditions and how we play. The best players adapt to that. We have players who have never played in India in an England shirt.

“The learning curve will be so steep but they will handle it well,” Cook told Daily Telegraph.

India suffered a humiliating 0-3 defeat in one-dayers in England in a five-match series last month with a match washed out and another ending in a tie.

England also humbled India 4-0 in a Test series that resulted in the latter losing its number one ranking.The tour of India is certainly going to be a litmus test for Cook, both as captain and as a player because England has not beaten India in a one-day series in India since 1985, with its last two series ending in 5-1 and 5-0 thrashings.
Newspaper: The Hindu, Saturday, 1st Oct

PCB likely to have an interim coach

1626tqh.png

Karachi: The names of Dean Jones, Dermot Reeves and Aaqib Javed are already doing the rounds, but the Pakistan team is not likely to have a full-time coach when it takes on Sri Lanka in the upcoming series in the UAE.

Former Pakistan captain Intikhab Alam has hinted that the PCB may appoint an interim coach for the Sri Lanka series.

Intikhab, who heads the special committee formed by the PCB to shortlist the coach and which also has Zaheer Abbas, Rameez Raja and Col. Naushad Ali, said that there were chances that the appointment of the new coach could be delayed.

“We have shortlisted five candidates and will send it to the board but I think the PCB will have to make an interim arrangement for the Sri Lanka series in the UAE because of lack of time.”

Alam said that the board and committee didn’t want to hurry the process of appointment.

“We can manage the series against Sri Lanka with an interim coach,” he added.

Intikhab refused to divulge the names of the five candidates, saying that the PCB didn’t want any speculations in the media about the new coach.
Newspaper: The Telegraph, Saturday, 1st Oct

Gul claims he saw Anderson tamper with ball

206mt8j.jpg

Pakistan speedster Umar Gul is set to kick up a storm as he has claimed that he saw English pacer James Anderson tamper with the ball last year during a Test match.

The seasoned pacer, who is tipped to make a comeback to the national side for the coming series against Sri Lanka, said ball—tampering was not new in international cricket, and it was being done through legal and illegal methods by many bowlers and teams.

“I saw Anderson do it last year when we went to England.

Then in the Ashes series Stuart Broad was seen roughing up the ball with his boots. All these methods are part and parcel of the game to obtain reverse swing with the old ball,” Gul said.

“Most of the bowlers tamper with the ball in international cricket,” he added.

Gul’s comments that are likely to ignite a new debate came when reporters asked him about the remarks made by Shoaib Akhtar in his controversial autobiography recently released in India.

The retired fast bowler, in his book, has admitted to ball—tampering and claims it is common in Pakistan’s domestic cricket. Shoaib has called on the ICC to legalise ball—tampering. Gul said if Shoaib was saying he tampered with the ball, he must have done it.

“I can’t say much on that, but yes many bowlers do it.

When you use finger nails to scratch the ball it is illegal, but when the fielders keep on throwing the ball on rough and dry pitches or the ball hits the advertising boards and sponsors signs, it is not illegal,” he said.

Gul said whether the ball was roughed up legally or illegally, it remained an art to obtain reverse swing with it.

“Obtaining reverse swing is an art and must be recognized as one.”

But Gul didn’t agree with Shoaib’s suggestion to legalise ball tampering, insisting this would spoil the beauty of the game.

“It should not be legalised because laws can’t be changed on this, and it should remain an art.”

Gul, who has taken 125 test, 134 ODI and 47 wickets in T20 cricket, said Pakistani bowlers had always been accused of ball—tampering, and it was nothing new.

“But in the past, no match official has come up with any evidence against us, nor has any camera caught us. This talk about ball tampering is not new to us. But reverse swing is something that comes naturally to us, and it is an art passed down from generation to generation,” he explained.

Ball—tampering allegations have always surrounded the Pakistani bowlers, and in 2000, match referee John Reid banned and fined Waqar Younis and Azhar Mahmood for tampering with the ball in Sri Lanka.

In 2010 in Australia, former captain Shahid Afridi was also banned by the ICC when he was caught on camera chewing the ball.

Shoaib Akhtar has also been penalised for ball tampering.

The pacer also spoke on Shoaib’s disparaging remarks against batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar.

“I can’t say specifically that I saw Tendulkar running away from Shoaib, but no one can deny that when Shoaib was at his fastest and best, the world’s best batsmen were nervous against him and there is no batsmen who is not nervous or ruffled when facing a pure fast bowler.

“Even Brian Lara, who I rate as the world’s best batsman, admitted to feeling ruffled when he was hit on the helmet by a bouncer from Shoaib,” Gul said.
Newspaper: The Hindu, 2nd Oct

Did not question Tendulkar’s greatness: Afridi

2wp3rc9.jpg

A day after claiming that he saw Sachin Tendulkar’s legs trembling while facing Shoaib Akhtar, Pakistan’s former captain Shahid Afridi has now stated that he did not intend to question the Indian batting icon’s greatness, and was only talking about one incident.

“I am not denying what I have said. I have seen that Tendulkar was not at all comfortable against Shoaib in Kolkata Test in 1999. It was Shoaib’s first tour of India and he bowled out Sachin without giving him a chance to open his account. He also claimed (Rahul) Dravid’s wicket in both the innings,” Afridi told ‘PTI—Bhasha’ from Karachi.

“Shoaib was in full form on that tour and had tremendous speed. He terrorised almost all the batsmen in the world at that time. I have seen Sachin trembling as I was fielding at square leg. I am still saying that.

“But this was only one incident. He never spared Shoaib after that. We all have seen what happened in 2003 World Cup,” he added.

Afridi went on to state that the Indian batsman does not need his certificate.

“Sachin is one of the best batsmen and the whole world knows this. He does not need mine or anybody else’s certificate. His records speak for him,” Afridi said.

The controversy—prone former captain on Saturday backed Akhtar’s claim that Tendulkar was uncomfortable against his pace, saying that he had once witnessed the Indian batsman “trembling” while facing the pacer.

Afridi, who retired after revolting against his own board and has a history of making controversial remarks, said Tendulkar was uneasy against Akhtar, a claim which the pacer made in his recently—launched autobiography ‘Controversially Yours’.
Newspaper: The Hindu, 2nd Oct

Anderson disappointed to miss out on India tour

313mw4z.jpg

England pace spearhead James Anderson is disappointed to miss out on the upcoming tour of India as he wanted to prove his worth in the sub-continent wickets after his below-par performance in the World Cup earlier this year.

Anderson, who was in red-hot form in the just-concluded series between the two sides recently, was rested by the selectors for England's tour of India for a five-match ODI series and a one-off Twenty20 match.

"Of course I was disappointed not to go to India," Anderson was quoted as saying by 'Daily Mail'.

"I didn't have a great World Cup there and I wanted to go back and show I could bowl in those conditions. They said they were thinking of giving me a rest. I said I didn't want one. And they made their decision.

"I remembered first how bad I felt physically at the end of the World Cup and how I was bowling and also what we have on our schedule for next year Test series against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, West Indies, South Africa and India and it all made sense," he added.
Newspaper: Indian Express ,2nd OCT

Pakistan selectors retain Shoaib Malik for Sri Lanka series

359zm3b.jpg

Pakistan selectors retain Shoaib Malik for Sri Lanka seriesKarachi, Oct 3 : Pakistan's former skipper Shoaib Malik has been retained for the "home" series against Sri Lanka in the United Arab Emirates, beginning Oct 18.

Malik was recalled to the national team for the recent tour of Zimbabwe after getting clearance from the Pakistan Cricket Board's integrity committee, more than a year after Pakistan's controversial tour to England.

Malik, however, did not play the Test there and hardly had any impact in the ODIs and Twenty20 internationals. He, however, has been roughing it out on the domestic circuit, and finished as the second-highest run-getter in the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy Division One last season, with 799 runs at an average of 73.57.

Pakistan's chief selector Mohsin Khan said Shoaib has been included in the Test squad because of his form, not his Twenty20 performance.

"Shoaib is not selected on the basis of the ongoing Twenty20 Cup but what inspired us was his fitness and the form he is currently in," Khan was quoted as saying in espncricinfo.

"I was actually feeling rusty during the Zimbabwe tour but after playing the domestic Twenty20 I feel I've regained my touch," said Malik.

While focusing on cementing his place in the national side in all forms of cricket, Malik said regaining the captaincy wasn't a priority. "I am focusing on my form and captaincy is secondary for me."

My recovery has been slow but positive: Zaheer

India's pace spearhead Zaheer Khan today said that his recovery post-ankle surgery has been "slow but positive" and he has not set any timeframe for making his international comeback.

“The first phase of my rehab programme went off pretty well. I have started with the second phase of my rehab. I will be soon going to the National Cricket Academy. My progress has been slow but a positive one,” Zaheer told mediapersons after receiving the Arjuna Award from Sports Minister Ajay Maken at latter's residence.

The Indian speedster could not attend the awards function at the Rashtrapathi Bhawan on August 29 as he was recuperating from his ankle surgery.

Zaheer, who will turn 33 this Saturday, said that he is taking one day at a time and not trying to rush his comeback.

“To start bowling, I have to get back the full strength in my ankle. Then I might play a few club matches or first-class matches. I am taking one day at a time and not setting any targets.”

indian express

Let DRS be there in all international series: Aleem Dar

r6z4ig.jpg

Aleem Dar, voted the best umpire of the year by the ICC, has backed the use of Decision Review System in all the international series but advised the umpires to rely more on their own judgement while making decisions.

Dar said DRS is a good addition to the sport and insists it has the potential to do wonders in the future.

The DRS has drawn mixed reactions from the international cricket community with the BCCI against the use of it but PCB supporting it.

“There’s no issue in using technology. It’s a good addition to the game but the umpires should stop thinking about it when making a decision. And instead of being used randomly the system should be enforced on permanent basis in all series,” Dar said.

The critics of the DRS also point out to the high costs involved in its use and the fact that there is no uniformity in its enforcement by the ICC.

Dar, who has officiated in 67 Tests, 146 One-Dayers and 18 Twenty20 Internationals, said technology needed to be used properly.

“The DRS should be applied on a permanent basis. It’s not being used in all series and that affects the umpires’ performance. I believe an inconsistent usage is not good for the game either,” Dar, who supervised any match in Pakistan after nearly two years, said during the national T20 championship.

The 43-year-old felt the implementation of new rules, which came in effect from October 1, have added to the responsibility of the umpires.

The amendments in playing conditions include two new balls in an innings, redefined period of Powerplays, penalty for a batsman for obstructing the field and a ban on the use of runners among other changes.

Dar said the umpires now need to be more vigilant.

“I feel my responsibility has increased and we need to be more focused,” Dar told the ‘Express Tribune’ before giving the instance of the T20 Cup final which faced a 28-minute delay after Sialkot captain Shoaib Malik objected on the use of a runner by Rawalpindi.

“The team was allowed a runner because the tournament was played on the previous playing rules. Umpires may face such situations after the rule changes and that’s an increased burden.”

Meanwhile, the Pakistan board has named the umpires room at the Gaddafi stadium after Aleem Dar to pay tributes to his winning the prestigious ICC award for the third time.

PCB Chairman Ijaz Butt also awarded him a cash prize of one million rupees at the final ceremony of the national T20 event.

Dar said he was keen to set up an academy for young players in future and has requested Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif to allot him a ground for the purpose.
Newspaper: The Hindu, 4th Oct

Kallis, Steyn rested for ODI and T20 series vs Australia

ohannesburg: Premier batsman Hashim Amla will make his debut as national team captain both in the T20 and ODI formats when the Proteas start their series against visitors Australia next week.

All-rounder Jacques Kallis and pacer Dale Steyn have been left out of the side. Cricket South Africa`s (CSA) national selectors on Monday named the squads for both formats.

"With the ICC World Twenty20 less than a year away, we need to keep a solid core of experience around the side," commented CSA selection convener Andrew Hudson, "but at the same time we want to give younger players a run as well and this certainly applies in the case of Richard Levi and David Miller."

Richard Levi of the Nashua Mobile Cape Cobras is the only new cap (in the T20 format) while David Miller of the Sunfoil Dolphins and Mark Boucher of the Cobras have been recalled.

Heino Kuhn of the Nashua Titans will keep wicket in the T20 format.

The inclusion of Boucher and Miller at the expense of Morne van Wyk of the Chevrolet Knights, Colin Ingram of the Chevrolet Warriors and the injured AB de Villiers of the Nashua Titans are the changes to the ODI squad that did duty at the 2011 edition of the ICC Cricket World Cup.

"We don`t have a lot of T20 International matches before the ICC event so it is important that we give the likes of Levi, Miller and Colin Ingram an extended run.

Heino Kuhn also gets an opportunity as a result of AB de Villiers` unfortunate injury.

"We have left Jacques Kallis and Dale Steyn out of the T20 squad as part of our rotation policy. Both players were keen to play but this is part of our rotation policy as selectors."

ODI squad: Hashim Amla (capt), Johan Botha, Mark Boucher JP Duminy, Faf du Plessis, Imran Tahir, Jacques Kallis, David Miller, Morne Morkel, Wayne Parnell, Robin Peterson, Graeme Smith, Dale Steyn, Lonwabo Tsotsobe.

T20 squad: Hashim Amla, Johan Botha, JP Duminy, Colin Ingram, Heino Kuhn, Richard Levi, David Miller, Albie Morkel, Morne Morkel, Wayne Parnell, Robin Peterson, Graeme Smith, Rusty Theron, Lonwabo Tsotsobe.
Source:Zee

Back
Top Bottom