Discussion Star Vs Zee's Aggressive Battle For Viewership Is On OTT Platforms Now

Hotstar is severely arm-twisting viewers in the name of privacy. You can't record a Star network channel show on your mobile as Hotstar will not allow you to record video (only audio). And it will redirect viewers from JioTV, etc. to its own app. Star is always trying to be the boss.

Aside, I don't know why Hotstar has more than 60% of the subscriber base. Is it because it forces people to subscribe in order to watch almost all the English shows and movies?
Only for cricket

Hotstar is severely arm-twisting viewers in the name of privacy. You can't record a Star network channel show on your mobile as Hotstar will not allow you to record video (only audio). And it will redirect viewers from JioTV, etc. to its own app. Star is always trying to be the boss.

Aside, I don't know why Hotstar has more than 60% of the subscriber base. Is it because it forces people to subscribe in order to watch almost all the English shows and movies?
For 999 bucks a year you get access to shows from HBO, ABC and Showtime shows. You also get F1 Racing, Premier League, Bundesliga, Indian Premium League and most other big sporting events. Access to Nat Geo's shows are also cherry on top. The biggest con Hotstar has is they don't buy download rights of movies and series.

Zee should have sticked to ten network and sports could have driven Ott well for zee. Hotstar's subscription is predominantly sport based.

If Hotstar & Zee5 are captured 1st & 2nd ranking respectively, then where is Sony Liv? Eagerly waiting for knowing Sony Liv's ranking.

It was the early mover after Sony Liv and moved all their content from YouTube to app when they launched

Plus HBO, sports, abc, Nat Geo, and now even hooq.

Last edited:
If Hotstar & Zee5 are captured 1st & 2nd ranking respectively, then where is Sony Liv? Eagerly waiting for knowing Sony Liv's ranking.
Nowhere close. Their marketing is very low compared to hotstar and zee 5. They may be well below Netflix and Amazon prime as well.

It is the active userbase of Hotstar not the paying subscriber base which is referenced, so it includes both free and paying viewers. The major push for hotstar in terms of viewership came when they made hotstar mandatory for viewing live star network channels through Tv apps like Tata sky mobiloe app or Jio Tv app. Also now they have many live sporting events and new content acquisition deals with the likes of Hooq, which will further boost numbers.

Last edited:
OTT market is driven by the content... At present Hotstar has content for many categories... They also have better reach by offering some premium content for free to jio and airtel customers....

Does Hotstar or Zee5 have plans to launch Dolby audio for their content? I personally feel Dolby audio plays a vital role for their success.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock