Discussion Star Vs Zee's Aggressive Battle For Viewership Is On OTT Platforms Now

DreamFan

Banned
Reaction score
Two of the country’s biggest media firms — ZEE Entertainment Enterprises (ZEEL) and STAR India — are competing aggressively for viewership in the digital space. The over-the-top (OTT) platforms of the two — Hotstar and ZEE5 — are ranked one and two in the pecking order, according to subscriber data.
ZEE5 has a monthly active user (MAU) base of 41.3 million for September, according to its latest quarterly results. This is second to Hotstar, whose MAU stands at 150 million. While Hotstar’s subscriber base is over three-and-a-half times that of ZEE5’s, what is important is that the latter has pushed past players such as Netflix and Amazon Prime Video to No.2 spot. Industry estimates peg Netflix and Amazon Prime’s subscriber base at 5 million and 22 million, respectively.
STAR vs ZEE's aggressive battle for viewership is on OTT platforms now

And then there's a dormant Sony Liv giving away any advantage it had to it's competitors
Ironically they are the first streaming service from a television network. Meanwhile Voot also needs to make a proper android tv app and introduce ad free premium subscription.

No way is streaming market worth 700 billion dollars today.

Hotstar has the biggest double standards I've ever seen. Recently they dripped their deal with AiB just because there were sexually accusations against them. And from today onwards, they are launching a new game show in Malayalam with Mueksh, as Sell Me the Answer Season 3. He is also accused of sexual allegations by a cast director.

Two of the country’s biggest media firms — ZEE Entertainment Enterprises (ZEEL) and STAR India — are competing aggressively for viewership in the digital space. The over-the-top (OTT) platforms of the two — Hotstar and ZEE5 — are ranked one and two in the pecking order, according to subscriber data.
ZEE5 has a monthly active user (MAU) base of 41.3 million for September, according to its latest quarterly results. This is second to Hotstar, whose MAU stands at 150 million. While Hotstar’s subscriber base is over three-and-a-half times that of ZEE5’s, what is important is that the latter has pushed past players such as Netflix and Amazon Prime Video to No.2 spot. Industry estimates peg Netflix and Amazon Prime’s subscriber base at 5 million and 22 million, respectively.
STAR vs ZEE's aggressive battle for viewership is on OTT platforms now
2018 streaming market has to be corrected to $700 million. Image is showing it to be $700 billion and in 2023 it will reduce to $2.4 billion.

2018 streaming market has to be corrected to $700 million. Image is showing it to be $700 billion and in 2023 it will reduce to $2.4 billion.
Agree,there seems to be something wrong with the figures. 700 billion $ is equivalent to Google(approx) which huge. May be 2.4 billion figure is correct bt not the first one

Last edited:
Hot Star has 0 Punjabi content,whereas
Zee has few Punjabi movies and a couple of old Zee Punjabi shows.
I use hotstar solely due to Nazar which airs at late night slot, So i watch it on hotstar in the morning.

Last edited:
Hotstar is severely arm-twisting viewers in the name of privacy. You can't record a Star network channel show on your mobile as Hotstar will not allow you to record video (only audio). And it will redirect viewers from JioTV, etc. to its own app. Star is always trying to be the boss.

Aside, I don't know why Hotstar has more than 60% of the subscriber base. Is it because it forces people to subscribe in order to watch almost all the English shows and movies?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock