• Start date
  • Replies: Replies 7
  • Views: Views 404

iDJ

Elite
Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
Those familiar with the Southern Ocean, the body of water encircling Antarctica, know it’s unlike any other.

“Anyone who has been there will struggle to explain what's so mesmerizing about it, but they'll all agree that the glaciers are bluer, the air colder, the mountains more intimidating, and the landscapes more captivating than anywhere else you can go,” says Seth Sykora-Bodie, a marine scientist at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and a National Geographic Explorer.

Since National Geographic began making maps in 1915, it has recognized four oceans: the Atlantic, Pacific, Indian, and Arctic Oceans. Starting on June 8, World Oceans Day, it will recognize the Southern Ocean as the world’s fifth ocean.

What's breaking about this?. India's official position is 5 oceans since many years(Atleast 10 years). NCERT Text book says that Earth has 5 Oceans including Southern Ocean. Even in Odisha board, they have included "Dakhina Mahasagar" since my school time. It's only Nat Geo which included it now.

What's breaking about this?. India's official position is 5 oceans since many years(Atleast 10 years). NCERT Text book says that Earth has 5 Oceans including Southern Ocean. Even in Odisha board, they have included "Dakhina Mahasagar" since my school time. It's only Nat Geo which included it now.
This is why it sounded familiar. Is Southern Ocean same as Artic Ocean?

This is why it sounded familiar. Is Southern Ocean same as Artic Ocean?
Arctic is North Pole. Souther Ocean is near Antarctica which is South Pole. It's Polar Bear vs Penguin. You don't watch those nice documentary in Discovery and Sony BBC? Like Planet Earth etc..

Arctic is North Pole. Souther Ocean is near Antarctica which is South Pole. It's Polar Bear vs Penguin. You don't watch those nice documentary in Discovery and Sony BBC? Like Planet Earth etc..
bro even if one watches one might get confused still he did manage to guess , in bbc earth & discovery they tend to air more ads in between airing of shows except some time.

but sad fact they only show about Antarctic when ice berg drifts away or breaks or when there is forecast of increase in rise of ocean due to melting of ice in Antarctic and in north barely less arctic ice left :( compared to Antarctic.

Last edited:
bro even if one watches one might get confused still he did manage to guess , in bbc earth & discovery they tend to air more ads in between airing of shows except some time.

but sad fact they only show about Antarctic when ice berg drifts away or breaks or when there is forecast of increase in rise of ocean due to melting of ice in Antarctic and in north barely less arctic ice left :( compared to Antarctic.
The most sad thing is some countries want the Arctic ice to melt more. So that they can exploit it's vast resources and use that route as a trade route to Europe. Poor Polar bears... :verysad2:

I mistakenly posted Artic Ocean instead of Antarctic Ocean. I know the difference between Northern and Southern hemisphere.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock