OTF Exclusive Review: AOSP Extended ROM for Redmi 3s/Prime

Abhinav

Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
After using Havoc OS for about 1 year, I have Flashed AOSP Extended on my Redmi 3s Prime.

Why I removed Havoc OS -
At first the ROM was good but in last few months it's performance is continuously reducing. Lagging was one of the top reasons to switch ROM, System UI and apps crashing has became a normal thing. Phone was heating up a lot even on normal usage. To use phone normally I have to reboot at least twice a day, even Reboots were taking longer time.

AOSP Extended Features:

-Substratum Theme Engine Rootless Support
-One Handed UI
-Grid/GO Recents UI
-Expanded Desktop (Removes Notification and Navigation Bar from any screen)
-Statusbar Clock/Date Customizations
-Notification Intervals (Limit number of notifications from particular app for a given period of time)
-Long Press Back button to Kill App
-Statusbar Data Traffic Indicators
-QS Quick Pulldown
-QS Brightness Slider (Enable/Disable)
-QS Tiles Animations
-Force Expand Notifications (Enable/Disable)
-Immersive Mode messages (Enable/Disable)
-Flashlight Notifications
-Immersive Recents
-Power Menu Customizations (Can add many more options like Flashlight, Airplane mode)
-Additional Battery Saver steps
-Volume Rocker Tweaks (Wake/Music seek/Keyboard cursor control/Swap in landscape mode, With screen Off Long Press Volume button for Previous and Next Song)
-Fingerprint and Edge Gestures Support
-Show 4G instead LTE switch
-Night Mode QS Tile
-Caffeine Tile (Screen never Time out)
-Customize QS Rows/Columns
-StatusBar Brightness Control
-Lockscreen Shortcut
-Quick Unlock for PIN/Password
-Battery Styles
-Show Seconds in Status Bar Clock
-Partial Screenshot Type
-Screenshot Delay
-Pixel's UI, Ringtones, and Wallpapers
-Camera Sound Toggle
-Smart Pixels
-Longpress Power Button on Lockscreen for Torch
-Disable FC
-Wakelock Blocker
-Toggle Lockscreen Media Art
-Toggle Lockscreen Music Visualizer
-Ticker
-Disable QS on Lockscreen
-Toggle Dynamic Notification Card's Color
-Low Battery Notification Toggle
-Hide Clock/Date/Alarm Text from Lockscreen
-Lockscreen Clock's Font Customizations
-Weather on Lockscreen and Status Bar
-Heads up Customizations
-DU's HW Button Rebinding
-Button Backlight Customizations
-Custom Carrier label
-Paranoid Android PIE Controls
-Pocket Lock & Pocket Judge (Accidental Touch)
-Toggle power menu on Lockscreen
-CPU Info Switch
-Disable Orange Color in Battery Saver Mode
-PiP QS tile
-Built-in Light/Dark/Wallpaper-Based and EXTENDED UI Themes

Pros:

AOSP Extended is based on Android 9 Pie with lots of Extra Features and Customisation. Both Variants (with and without GAPPS) are available for all supported devices on their official website.

AOSP extended comes with additional apps AEXPapers for wallpaper and Equalizer for tweaking sounds and Retro Music as Music Player. If you flash GAPPS version, Google Phone, Messages, Play Store, Google app are pre-installed as System app.

The ROM is very stable and Fast. I have installed same apps that were on Havoc OS and performance difference is Amazing. The phone is now not heating that much and I haven't noticed any lag yet. All system and UI tweaks works flawlessly.

Face unlock is supported by Default, Digital Wellbeing and all other Pixel Features are also available and working properly.

Battery Backup is Good, Idle Battery backup is noticably increased and charging speed is also improved as compared to Havoc OS.

Cons:

The ROM doesn't have System Updater that means you have to manually flash whole ROM with each monthly update.

I hated the Default Quickstep Launcher, It mimics Pixel launcher but it's very badly made. The icons look blurry and it basically lacks most of Customisations. Some features are unique like Rounded corners for Recent Apps Card but apart from that there is nothing. The Frequent apps bar is also not their in that launcher.

Screenshots

🔴 Launcher

Source

🔴 UI Images
Source

🔴 Customisation and Tweaks
Source

Last edited:
I am using Havoc from past 5 months...initially has UI crash issues,latter working fine..but from past few days facing some minor lags that may because full storage/ram...ny how thinking to switch to AEX after realeasing july security patch..does it have Double tap to awake option?

I am using Havoc from past 5 months...initially has UI crash issues,latter working fine..but from past few days facing some minor lags that may because full storage/ram...ny how thinking to switch to AEX after realeasing july security patch..does it have Double tap to awake option?
That can be activated using Kernel Adiutor.

The ROM gave me 9 hours of Battery Backup. Screen was ON for more than 6 hours.

qcMCnRO.png

T8RPFPB.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock