RBI imposed restrictions on Mastercard

Abhinav

Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Notwithstanding lapse of considerable time and adequate opportunities being given, the entity has been found to be non-compliant with the directions on Storage of Payment System Data, the RBI said.

As part of the action, the RBI has imposed restrictions on Mastercard Asia / Pacific Pte. Ltd. from onboarding new domestic customers (debit, credit or prepaid) into its card network from July 22, 2021, the central bank said. “This order will not impact existing customers of Mastercard. Mastercard shall advise all card-issuing banks and non-banks to conform to these directions,” the RBI said.

Source

Is this a step to clear the ways to enforce RUPAY card to everyone? 🤔

In terms of the RBI circular on Storage of Payment System Data dated April 6, 2018, all system providers were directed to ensure that within a period of six months the entire data relating to payment systems operated by them is stored in a system only in India.

If the above one is the case then we should not think otherwise

Last edited:
Few months back same action was taken against American Express, Diners Club. According to this article at that time both Visa and MasterCard were compliant with rules.

As my experience using Rupay card too bad and frustrated 😤
at starting when rupay was launched I was also excited
When I get the card and try use for multiple transactions then whole excitements 🤮🤮🤮...
Then I requested my bank issue me other varient card bank issued me a MasterCard after getting this my all transactions done smoothly with Domestic as well International now I also use Visa with different bank.....

As for me MasterCard needs to be operated fully functionally

A senior US trade official privately criticised India's July decision to ban Mastercard Inc from issuing new cards, calling it a "draconian" move that caused "panic", according to US government emails seen by Reuters.

The documents show frustration within the US government after India's central bank banned new card issuance by American Express and Diners Club International in April, then took similar action against Mastercard in July.

A senior US trade official privately criticised India's July decision to ban Mastercard Inc from issuing new cards, calling it a "draconian" move that caused "panic", according to US government emails seen by Reuters.
Off-topic : US should be "draconian" towards Taliban too.

The documents show frustration within the US government after India's central bank banned new card issuance by American Express and Diners Club International in April, then took similar action against Mastercard in July.

US Trade Official Calls India's Mastercard Ban As 'Draconian', Show Emails

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock