Rangel explains Premier ambition

Reaction score
Defender Angel Rangel says Swansea City's promotion was a key factor in his decision to commit his future to the club.

The 28-year-old Spaniard was set to be out of contract at the Liberty Stadium and there had been concerns that he would follow Darren Pratley and Dorus de Vries out of the club.

But Rangel agreed a three-year deal to remain in south Wales on Wednesday, and revealed being able to fulfil his ambition of playing in the Barclays Premier League was a decisive factor.

"I'm delighted to have agreed a new contract," Rangel told the club website. "I really love it here in Swansea. When I arrived here I wanted to be part of a club that had big plans to play in the Premier League, and now we have accomplished that.
"The day I signed here (then-manager) Roberto (Martinez) said the club wanted to be in the Premier League in four seasons. That was what I wanted to hear. We were in League One then, and things have changed a lot since then.

"There was interest from clubs in the past who were in the Premier League, and I got a little frustrated with things. That was because I have such a big desire to play in the Premier League. It is where you want to be.

"But we have got to the Premier League together, and I am delighted with that. That is very, very satisfying to me."

Swansea face a challenging opening to their first top-flight campaign in 28 years as they go to Manchester City on 13th August, with their next two away fixtures seeing them travel to face Arsenal and Chelsea.

The Welsh club are the favourites to be relegated straight back to the second tier, but Rangel is adamant Brendan Rodgers' side have no intention of making up the numbers.

"Playing the likes of Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool is huge for the club," he said. "Not just for the players and the staff, but the fans.

"They deserve Premier League football, because they are great fans. Everyone stops you in the street to talk about the Swans and how well we have done. But we are not just going to the Premier League to enjoy one season. We want to be a regular part of the league and show what Swansea City is all about."

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headlines/0,,12306~2384567,00.html

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock