Premature to talk about Dhoni, Yuvraj's selection for 2019 WC: MSK Prasad

rahul1117kumar

Contributor
Reaction score
After three closely-fought battles in the recently-concluded One-Day International (ODI) series against England, Virat Kohli-led India won the the series 2-1. Out of the series came many a positives, but MSK Prasad, the chairman of selectors, believed that apart from a few newcomers, it was the senior pros like MS Dhoni and Yuvraj Singh who stood out. However, he stressed that it would be too early to say whether they will be part of India's 2019 World Cup campaign.

"It's not just about the series win, it wasn't an easy win and we had to fight hard," Prasad said on Tuesday (January 24). "This tournament has thrown us some wonderful opportunities and some of the calls that we as selectors took have worked well. Like Yuvraj and Kedar (Jadhav) coming in and Mahi (Dhoni) getting back among runs. So these are wonderful things, apart from winning that we had."

Yuvraj and Dhoni, who were believed to be far from their best, played an instrumental role in India's win in the second ODI in Cuttack. They both struck centuries and put on a 256-run stand for the fourth wicket as India went on to win by 15 runs.

"It is premature to talk about Dhoni and Yuvi being part of the 2019 WC. We can't talk about something that is 800 or more days away from now," Prasad quipped. "As of now MSD is the best keeper batsman batsman in the world. He is an invaluable asset. If the situation arose Mahi knows what to do. I don't think that situation will arise in the coming few months or a year's time."

Prasad admitted that there was a bit of concern with the middle order following the 3-2 win over New Zealand, which eventually paved way for Yuvraj's recall to the national side. What also prompted Yuvraj's selection was his fine show in Ranji Trophy, which included a brilliant century in testing conditions in Lahli.

"All said and done we were a bit worried about the middle-order during the New Zealand ODI series. Now I am more confident, the way Kedar played and Yuvraj did. With the likes of (Ajinkya) Rahane, Manish (Pandey) and (Ambati) Rayudu in the reserves shows the kind of bench strength we have. I am absolutely confident now.

"Yuvraj was definitely not a gamble. The five selectors earlier, and three now, had seen him do exceptionally well in the domestic circuit. Some one who can get a 260 and a 180 shows the ability and the hunger he has. I had no doubts that he is working hard to make a comeback. What else can a batsman do and with his ability," he said.

"There are no two ways about ability. The day he is fit, his abilities are there. Look how he played under pressure during the second ODI. The most important is country's interest. Heading towards a big event (Champions Trophy in June in England), you need a middle order which can finish off the game. The team that can gives the best possible result for the country is of paramount importance," he added.

While Yuvraj and Jadhav have grabbed the opportunity with both hands, the likes of Manish Pandey and Ambati Rayudu squandered their chance earlier and failed to do the same.

"As far as Pandey and Rayudu are concerned they will have to wait for their opportunities. See Karun Nair got it and he maximised it three folds (triple ton in the fifth and final Test against England at Chennai). End of the day, a healthy bench strength augurs well for Indian cricket," Prasad said.

Even as the middle order did well with Kohli, Yuvraj, Dhoni and Jadhav rising up to the ocassion at some or the other point, the openers - Ajinkya Rahane, KL Rahul and Shikhar Dhawan had a forgettable series. However, Prasad didn't sound too worried with their inability to help India get off to good starts against England. With Rohit Sharma injured an out, India are still to figure out their best opening combination despite having numerous options to play around with.

"As far as the opening slots are concerned, we all know that Rohit is injured and it's just a matter of time before he comes back. I know it would have helped the rest to get some runs under the belt but I am not overtly worried because we have domestic limited overs cricket and then the big event like IPL coming.

"So all the boys will have minimum 15-16 matches before they head to the Champions Trophy. These openers will get a chance to open for state and the franchisee and will definitely come back strong."

India have rested their top two spinners, Ravichandran Ashwin and Ravindra Jadeja, and have gone in with two youngsters in Yuzvendra Chahal and Parvez Rasool for the two-match Twenty20 International series. With no big T20 event coming up, Prasad felt this was the best way to allow their main bowlers to get adequate rest. He also compared Jammu and Kashmir all-rounder Rasool to Jayant Yadav and said, "Rasool has been superb in the shorter form of the game as you can see from his stats. He is actually a good all-rounder just like Jayant Yadav."

Premature to talk about Dhoni, Yuvraj's selection for 2019 WC: MSK Prasad - Cricbuzz

Yes it's too early to judge now :dodgy

SarfaRaZ said:
Yes it's too early to judge now :dodgy

They are looking old Mahi & Yuvi, i want both in wc 19 if I captain :tup

SarfaRaZ said:
This 2017 n WC in 2019 :k

Yes long period bro, but Yuvi is fighter & Mahi's fitness how can we forget
They have to play more cricket for that

I think both will be unavailable atleast YuVi Coz as a wicket keeper come batsman MSK Prasad will know abt the player fitness as well :s ..

Sai Laxman said:
I think both will be unavailable atleast YuVi Coz as a wicket keeper come batsman MSK Prasad will know abt the player fitness as well :s ..

All in hands of selectors , they wanted experienced player or fit player in world cup ;)

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock