Dhoni may continue to play till 2019 WC

Shivraj

Reaction score
MS Dhoni, India most successful ODI captain who led the Men in Blue to a series win over New Zealand on Saturday , is already thinking about building a team for the 2019 World Cup in England, and will most likely take a call on his ODI career after the 2017 Champions Trophy, sources close to him told TOI. India are scheduled to play the Champions Trophy next year in England in June.
Sources close to him confirmed that the Jharkhand cricketer won't bow out of ODI cricket just yet. Dhoni had expressed the desire to assess his form and fitness at the end of 2016, but after the New Zealand series win, he is already looking at the 2017 Champions Trophy.
Dhoni retired from Test cricket in 2014 to extend his career in shorter versions of the game. His teammate, fast bowler Ashish Nehra, backed Dhoni to go all the way to 2019 World Cup.
"By the time it's time for the 2019 World Cup, Dhoni's age would close to 38, but these days age isn't a factor.Look at Pakistani players like Younis Khan and Misbah-ul-Haq. They are still playing international cricket past the age of 40. And as far as Dhoni is concerned, he is fit enough to go on till 2019," Nehra told TOI.
"I don't see any reason why Dhoni should retire from international cricket. After the New Zealand ODI series, he will get more than two months to rest and come back fresh for the ODIs against England.
Dhoni will be fitter in the series against England than what you saw in the series against the Kiwis," Nehra said.
Even former selector Vikram Rathore batted for Dhoni to play on till the next 50-over World Cup. "Dhoni can definitely play on if he wants to. I don't see any issue with his fitness. He is actually looking fitter than what I have seen earlier. If Nehra can come back at the age of 37, Dhoni can also do it. Remember, age is just a number," Rathore explained. Former team director Ravi Shastri also said that Dhoni should keep on playing till he enjoys the game."Dhoni is at par with greats like Kapil Dev, Sunil Gavaskar and Sachin Tendulkar. He is a big player and has it in him to play till the 2019. He is the kind of player who won't be around if he is not able to deliver for India. He has played cricket on his own terms and will continue to do so," Shastri added.
Former stumper Kiran More shared the sentiment.
"Fitness is the key issue when it comes to international cricket. Dhoni does not need to worry about that.His chances of playing till 2019 is very bright. India will need Dhoni and I am sure he is not going to walk away just like that."
And rightly so. If the likes of Yuvraj Singh and Gautam Gambhir -the heroes of the 2011 World Cup -are aiming to play the 2019 World Cup, why can't Dhoni?

Dhoni may continue to play till 2019 WC - Cricbuzz

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock