Percy Jackson and the Olympians | Disney+ | December 20, 2023

Our team includes our showrunners, Jon Steinberg and Dan Shotz, probably best known for Black Sails and Jericho — both shows that are very different from PJO, obviously, but both wonderfully crafted adventures. Jon and Dan bring an enormous amount of experience and talent to our project, and have been incredible, patient partners over the last year+ as Becky and I navigated our way through the early stages of the production process. (Plus they both have young readers at home who are Percy fans, and are even more insistent than I am about making the show like the books, so hooray!)

Our writers are Daphne Olive, who has worked with Jon and Dan on several of their previous shows, including Black Sails; Monica Owusu-Breen, who has written for numerous TV shows including Lost, Fringe, and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.; and Joe Tracz, well-known and beloved to Percy fans for his work on The Lightning Thief Musical, and also TV writer for A Series of Unfortunate Events, Dash & Lily, and Be More Chill. We are also fortunate to have in the mix assistants Xavier Stiles, Zoë Neary and Stewart Strandberg, all of whom have contributed phenomenal ideas already. Rounding out the room at each meeting are Becky and me!

Possibly the coolest thing we did this week was visit Industrial Light and Magic’s “Volume” stage, where Star Wars TV shows like The Mandalorian are filmed. This trip was just to see how the technology works and what it can make possible for a show like Percy Jackson. To be clear, this is not where we will be filming. But the hope is that when we do film, we will be able to use a similar process and learn from ILM’s cutting-edge expertise. If you’re not familiar with the Volume and how it works, there is a short YouTube documentary publicly available here. It is pretty incredible stuff that puts you in the middle of a 360-degree virtual environment. They even plopped us in the middle of deep space at one point and let me punch the button “enter hyperspace.” Suddenly, we were doing the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs. The effects are so real we were warned to be careful if we had motion sickness, and they weren’t lying.

If all goes well and the full green light happens as expected, we could begin filming in June, but as always, this is my own personal estimate and should not be taken as official word from Disney or 100% certain. Having said that, all signs are positive. The excitement is high at Disney+, at the 20th TV studio, and with the production team. We have just delivered the second episode script to the studio and are forging ahead with outlines for episodes 3 and 4, with the expectation that these will be done and approved by January, at which point, fingers crossed, we will get approval for full green-light. In the meantime, though, we are not waiting, and are proceeding forward on all fronts.

The casting department started gearing up again this week, though I don’t yet have any contact information on open casting to share with you yet. As soon as I do, I will. The general casting call information for the talent agencies has already been shared on social media, however (Becky informs me) and includes some basic information which I can confirm: the plan is to film in Vancouver (again, assuming all goes as planned, which I think it will) and our pilot director will be James Bobin, who is both a terrific person and an incredibly talented director who checks all the boxes we were hoping for in a partner. He recently directed the pilot for Mysterious Benedict Society, which I loved and found very true to the source material, and he has worked on everything from creating Borat and Ali G with Sacha Baron Cohen to Flight of the Conchords to Muppets to Dora and the Lost City of Gold (which the Riordans found an incredibly fun adaptation of our beloved Dora the Explorer cartoon from the kids’ childhood.) James knows the Percy books well. His kids are fans. His humor is wonderful. We are in good hands, demigods, and lucky to have him joining our team. Keep your fingers crossed that everything goes the way we expect!

Author Rick Riordan confirms Disney+'s highly anticipated Percy Jackson pilot has gained The Muppets director James Bobin. Once expected to be the next Harry Potter, Riordan's hit Percy Jackson book series initially struggled in its first page-to-screen adaptation. Fox turned the first two books into movies in 2010 and 2013, but they failed to win over fans of the source material. As a result, the dedicated Percy Jackson fanbase has waited for a proper adaptation for years. Finally, Riordan confirmed last year Disney+ is in development on a Percy Jackson series, and the author himself is working alongside the creative team. Percy Jackson Show Adds The Muppets Director for Pilot, Confirms Author

Percy Jackson is getting a new life at Disney+.

The streaming platform has given a series order to Percy Jackson and the Olympians, based on author Rick Riordan’s best-selling series of novels. The project has been in development since May 2020.

Fans of the book series were nonplussed by the movies, which aged up the characters and made other significant changes. Riordan is more closely involved with the series, writing the pilot with Jon Steinberg (FX’s The Old Man, Black Sails) and serving as an executive producer.

Steinberg and his producing partner Dan Shotz will oversee the series. James Bobin (Disney+’s The Mysterious Benedict Society, The Muppets) is directing the first episode.

Source

Walker Scobell ("The Adam Project") has been cast in the titular role in Disney+'s fantastical live action series "Percy Jackson and the Olympians," it was announced today by the streaming service. The epic adventure is based on—and closely aligned with—Disney Hyperion’s best-selling book series by award-winning author Rick Riordan. The Disney Branded Television series, "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" is produced by 20th Television, a part of Disney Television Studios, and will go into production this summer.

pdr5Aev.jpg

"Percy Jackson and the Olympians" tells the fantastical story of a 12-year-old modern demigod, Percy Jackson, who's just coming to terms with his newfound supernatural powers when the sky god Zeus accuses him of stealing his master lightning bolt. Now Percy must trek across America to find it and restore order to Olympus.

Source: Disney+ PR

Percy Jackson has found his fellow heroes. Aryan Simhadri (Disney's "Spin") and Leah Sava Jeffries (“Empire”) will play Percy's friends Grover and Annabeth, respectively, in the upcoming Disney+ original series “Percy Jackson and the Olympians.” Simhadri and Jeffries will star alongside Walker Scobell who was recently announced to play the titular character in this epic adventure. A Disney Branded Television series produced by 20th Television, "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" will start production soon in Vancouver.

Based on Disney Hyperion’s best-selling book series by award-winning author Rick Riordan, "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" tells the fantastical story of a 12-year-old modern demigod, Percy Jackson, who's just coming to terms with his newfound divine powers when the sky god Zeus accuses him of stealing his master lightning bolt. With help from his friends Grover and Annabeth, Percy must embark on an adventure of a lifetime to find it and restore order to Olympus.

Aryan Simhadri stars as Grover Underwood - a satyr, half boy and half goat, disguised as a 12 year old boy. Grover cares deeply about others and will always choose what is best for them, sometimes at his own expense. Though cautious by nature, he’ll always throw himself into a fight to protect his friends, especially his best friend Percy Jackson.

Leah Sava Jeffries stars as Annabeth Chase. As a true daughter of the Greek goddess Athena, Annabeth is a brilliant strategist with an active and curious mind. After having spent the last five years at Camp Half-Blood, she longs to test her mettle in the human world, of which she barely remembers. She trains Percy to survive the mythological world, and in turn, he helps her connect with her humanity.

Riordan and Jon Steinberg will serve as writers of the pilot, and James Bobin will direct. Steinberg will oversee the series with his producing partner Dan Shotz. Steinberg and Shotz serve as executive producers alongside Bobin, Riordan, Rebecca Riordan, Bert Salke, Monica Owusu-Breen, Jim Rowe, Anders Engström, Jet Wilkinson and The Gotham Group’s Ellen Goldsmith-Vein, Jeremy Bell and D.J. Goldberg.

H1T7jmV.jpg

Source: Disney+ PR

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock