• Thread starter Thread starter M@zh@R
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 151
  • Views Views: Views 31,458
Status
Not open for further replies.
Senior players need to take responsibility - Jayawardene

8YQDE.jpg

Mahela Jayawardene, the former Sri Lanka captain, has said the senior players in the team have the responsibility of ending Sri Lanka's recent struggles in Tests while at the same time nurturing the next generation of cricketers. Sri Lanka's last Test victory came at Galle against India in July 2010 and this year they have lost series away to England and at home to Australia.

"I think it's our responsibility (as senior players) to make sure that it is a smooth transitional period and at the same time try to build another team for the next 10 years," Jayawardene said in a release issued by Dubai Sports City. "We might not be here for that long but while we are we have to make sure that we build a team, make sure that these guys are comfortable and they will take Sri Lanka cricket on for the next 10 to 15 years and try and improve on what everyone else has done.

"I think we've achieved quite a bit in Sri Lanka cricket in the past 20 years, there are a lot of people who are part and parcel of that and we have carried that forward, and hopefully the next generation will do the same."

Sri Lanka will have a chance to break their losing streak when they take on Pakistan in three Tests in the UAE, the first of which starts on October 18, and Jayawardene said the team remains positive despite its current barren run. "Yes, we haven't won a Test match for a good year-and-a-half, but I think we've played some really good cricket and we have had our opportunities. We just need to push a bit more and create a few more opportunities and grab hold of them."
Source:Cricinfo

Pakistan train in Lahore ahead of SL series

MO32T.jpg

Islamabad: Pakistan's national cricket team assembled in Lahore for a short training camp under interim coach Mohsin Khan ahead of the series against Sri Lanka in the United Arab Emirate (UAE).

Talking to the media on Tuesday, Mohsin Khan said all the team members and officials met to formulate a plan for the three-day training session.

Pakistan are to play three Tests, five One-Day Internationals and a Twenty20 against Sri Lanka. The first match is scheduled for October 18.

During the training camp, the players were also be briefed on the new rules introduced by the International Cricket Council that will be implemented from this month.

The Pakistani team will leave for the UAE on Saturday.

Mohsin Khan, who is Pakistan's interim coach as well as the chief selector, said he will not let his dual role hamper him or the team in any way during the upcoming series.

"I am not going to confuse myself with the double responsibility but the PCB asked me to take up the responsibility. It is a challenging one and it should be completed with responsibility," said Mohsin while talking to media on the sidelines of the training session.

Moshin was appointed team coach after national coach Waqar Younis resigned due to his domestic issues.

Some critics pointed out that the team's think-tank now comprises all batsmen - Mohsin, assistant coach Ijaz Ahmed and captain Misbah-ul-Haq - and it could affect the bowling department.

But Mohsin did not accept this point and said, "I don't think it is a big thing. I am confident that we can make it, despite most of our strategy-makers being batsmen."

"To achieve a big goal, you have to take risks. So despite receiving extensive criticism, we went with an experimental squad. As a selector, or now a coach, I won't be afraid of taking a risk."

Pakistan players in drill session, in Gaddafi Stadium Lahore, on eve of Sri Lanka series.

Training camp is being conducted in Lahore. Pakistan will leave for UAE on October 15. First Test will start from October 18 in Abu Dhabi.

Umpires and Referee for Pakistan's upcoming Test series against Sri Lanka:

Rod Tucker and Tony Hill for 1st Test in Abu Dhabi, Tony Hill and Shahvir Tarapore for 2nd Test in Dubai, Shahvir Tarapore and Simon Taufel for 3rd Test in Sharjah.

David Boon will be match referee in all 3 Tests. Third umpire in all Tests will be from Pakistan. Test series will start from October 18

Kosala Kulasekara replaces injured Eranga

ulpi3.jpg

Shaminda Eranga has been ruled out of Sri Lanka's Test series against Pakistan in the UAE with a shoulder injury to his right arm, and will be replaced in the squad by uncapped seamer Kosala Kulasekara. Eranga had looked dangerous on Test debut, picking up four first-innings wickets against Australia in Colombo and his absence is a blow to Sri Lanka.

Kulasekara, a tall 26-year-old, has been a regular member of the Sri Lanka A squad over the summer, and impressed with a five-wicket haul in Leicester. He was also part of the Sri Lanka Board XI that played Australia during their recent tour, and took two wickets. He plays for Nondescripts Cricket Club in Sri Lanka's domestic competitions and has 148 wickets in 72 first-class matches.
Source:Cricinfo

It'll be foolish to underestimate SL: Misbah

psWsA.jpg

Lahore: Pakistan captain Misbah-ul-Haq although admitted that Sri Lanka's bowling has weakened with the retirement of the likes of Muttiah Muralitharan and Lasith Malinga but said that they still remain a potentially dangerous side and could not be taken lightly.

"No doubt Sri Lanka's bowling has been weakened with the retirement of Murali and Malinga but they remain a formidable side and it would be foolish on our part to underestimate them at any time in the upcoming series," Misbah told reporters.

The captain also noted that the Lankans have introduced some talented new bowlers and the upcoming series will be a closely fought contested.

"If you look at both sides they are evenly balanced, so it is going to be a tough series. The islanders may have struggled in recent Tests but they have world players in their ranks," he noted.

Misbah, who won the overseas Test player of the year award after scoring 632 runs in six Test matches in the last 12 months as captain, said he was optimistic about his team.
Source:PTI

Shaminda Eranga has been ruled out of Sri Lanka's Test series against Pakistan in the UAE with a shoulder injury to his right arm, and will be replaced in the squad by uncapped seamer Kosala Kulasekara. Eranga had looked dangerous on Test debut, picking up four first-innings wickets against Australia in Colombo and his absence is a blow to Sri Lanka.

[News Story via Cricinfo]

mazhar_909 said:
HoDcT.jpg

Pakistan Team Squad for Tests

Misbah-ul-Haq (C), Abdur Rehman, Adnan Akmal, Aizaz Cheema, Asad Shafiq, Azhar Ali, Imran Farhat, Junaid Khan ,Mohammad Hafeez ,Saeed Ajmal, Shoaib Malik, Taufeeq Umar, Umar Gul, Wahab Riaz, Younis Khan

Sri Lanka Team Squad for Tests

Tillakaratne Dilshan (C),Angelo Mathews, Dinesh Chandimal, Shaminda Eranga, Nuwan Pradeep, Rangana Herath, Mahela Jayawardene, Prasanna Jayawardene, Suraj Randiv, Suranga Lakmal, Tharanga Paranavitana, Dhammika Prasad, Kumar Sangakkara,Kaushal Silva,Lahiru Thirimanne,Chanaka Welegedara,

this is great infoooo.

SL look for cricket revival against Pakistan

4E70N.jpg

Colombo: Sri Lanka hope to end their Test drought when they face Pakistan in the United Arab Emirates later this month, the team's captain Tillakaratne Dilshan said on Thursday.

Sri Lanka have not won a Test in their last 11 outings, since beating India in Galle in July 2010 when world bowling record holder Muttiah Muralitharan made his final appearance.

This year, Sri Lanka lost an away series against England 1-0, before falling to Australia by a similar margin at home.

Dilshan said he looked forward to turning the tide when they clash with Pakistan in a three-Test series which opens at the neutral venue of Abu Dhabi on October 18.

"The important thing is to remain patient. We have got some inexperienced bowlers and it takes time for them to develop," Dilshan told the Colombo-based Island newspaper.

"If you take the last series against Australia, we lost one Test that could have gone either way. I thought we played well in the remaining two Tests."

Dilshan said the team needs time to overcome the absence of the retired duo of Muralitharan and Chaminda Vaas.

"Guys like Murali and Vaasy did an exceptional job for us for 15 years," he said. "Suddenly when you lose them the team struggles. I believe we need to be patient rather than take harsh decisions."

Injured fast bowler Nuwan Pradeep returns to the bowling attack, which also includes off-spinner Suraj Randiv and left-arm spinner Rangana Herath.

Dilshan predicted a close contest against Pakistan. The Tests will be followed by five one-day internationals and a Twenty20 match.

"I feel they have a balanced side," the captain said. "The wickets will be batsmen friendly and the big challenge for us will be to take 20 wickets in a game."

The Sri Lankans leave for the UAE on Friday.

Pakistan has been forced to host international matches in neutral countries after a terrorist attack on the Sri Lankan team bus in Lahore in March 2009.

Mental toughness the key - Mohsin Khan

y1HjM.jpg

Mohsin Khan, Pakistan's interim coach, has stressed the need for the Pakistan squad to focus on being mentally tough during their upcoming series against Sri Lanka in the UAE. He said while there was a lot of talent in the squad, the difference between winning and losing a match was often a team's mental resolve.

"We have a talented bunch of players who have performed well in recent times, have steadily improved and become consistent," Mohsin told Pakpassion.net on the eve of the team's departure for the UAE. "The results have been good, the team has gelled and look a very useful unit. The training camp held over the last few days in Lahore has gone well. While working on the usual facets of cricket, I have also tried to emphasise the need for the boys to focus on the mental aspects of cricket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom