Nokia E7: Does It Compete With The N8 Or The HTC Desire Z?

• Thread starter Bapun
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 0
  • Views: Views 1,561

Bapun

Staff member
Community Manager
Solutions
Reaction score
In many of my posts about the Nokia E7, ever since
I received my trial unit, I kept saying that “ I don’ t get it” . I don’ t understand the purpose of the E7 or who will buy it or for what reason. The rationale
behind my thought was that in terms of Symbian
competition, the Nokia N8 offers a much more
complete package, while in terms of QWERTY/
Business competition, there are plenty of better
options with Android on board. However, saying something is not like proving it in
an objective comparison of specs, so given that I
have an N8, E7 and HTC Desire Z in my hands, I set
out to take some pictures of all of them for you, and
to do a specifications comparison table. In the comparison table below, I placed the Nokia
E7 in the middle so you can easily spot the
differences between it and the Nokia N8 on one
side and the HTC Desire Z on the other side. I
highlighted the areas where a device is easily a
winner (sometimes there are two winners in a category), and I left some others without picking
one as they are more subjective and depend on
every person’ s preferences. However, specification sheets only tell you half the
story. Nothing compares to actually seeing, holding
and using a device, as there are a lot of features
that shine in that light, and a lot that feel irrelevant. The three devices rank on the “ big” scale, compared to what we considered smartphones 2
years ago. The N8 (hardware tour) is the smallest and lightest of the bunch, it’ s also the most drop- proof with its simple form factor. The Desire Z
(hardware tour) is the thickest and the least “ solid” , it’ s quite solid, but not as much as the other two. The E7 (hardware tour) is taller and wider than the Desire Z, in order to accommodate the tilting form
factor and the 4″ screen. It’ s incredibly well built. Screen-wise, the Nokia N8 packs nothing really
special. The E7 has that awesome 4″ Clear Black Display that shines indoors and is awesome in
direct sunlight. The HTC Desire Z has an awesome
resolution and colors that pop indoors, however
get outside and the screen will be a harder to read
in direct sunlight. For example, simply tilting the 3 devices a bit,
shows how clear the Nokia E7 ′ s display remains, and how the Desire Z is affected by surrounding
light. Flip those phones over, and you see the winning
point of the N8: it’ s unrivaled 12MP Carl Zeiss camera with Xenon Flash. The Desire Z shows a good enough 5MP camera, but a great strength in
its removable battery: you can purchase a spare
battery and keep it with you when the main one
dies for example. The E7, well, it has a fixed-focus
(read: non-autofocus) camera and a non-
removable battery. Slayed on both fronts! The E7 gets back a winning point with its
transformer form factor. Where the N8 is a simple
candybar, and the Desire Z features a fancy-named
Z-hinge that eventually just settles flat on top of the
keyboard, the E7 has an awesome swiveling
screen, that is solidly built and that rises to face you a bit like a computer. As you see, my theory was quite right. If you ’ re a Symbian fan, the N8 is a more robust and complete
choice, especially with its camera, and if you’ re a QWERTY fan, the HTC Desire Z (and many other
Android QWERTY devices really), is a better choice
than the E7. The only person I can see getting excited about the
E7 is the Symbian + Qwerty fan, however, I can’ t help but feel their pain, given the compromises they
will have to make. No great camera, no FM
transmitter, no MicroSD slot, compared to the N8. No
removable battery, no more RAM, none of the great software features of Android or the vast array of third-party applications for office and productivity use that the Market offers, compared to the Desire Z.
Yes, it’ s a big compromise on both aspects. Are you interested in getting the E7? Or still
doubting whether to purchase it or go a safer route
with another device, N8, Desire Z, or otherwise?

www.fonearena.com/blog/32817/nokia-e7-does-it-compete-with-the-n8-or-the-htc-desire-z.html

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock