No Pardew panic over Barton

Reaction score
Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew is not worried about Joey Barton's contract situation at St James' Park.

Talks over a new deal have broken down with Barton entering the final year of his contract on Tyneside.

Barton admits he is likely to see out his contract and leave Newcastle on a free transfer next summer.

Pardew is relaxed about the contract wrangle and is happy to allow the midfielder to run out his deal.

"I have spoken to Joey over the summer. Unfortunately at the moment there is no new contract for him," Pardew said.

"He has a year remaining and I think he will stay for that year.

"My view of it is quite open-ended.

"I think, like a lot of players, that yearly term contracts in the Premier League are going to be the norm.

"But who is to say that in a year's time that Joey gets a contract that he finds acceptable?"

Pardew is confident the transfer speculation will not affect Barton's form if he does end up staying at Newcastle.

"I am hoping he will play better than last year, I don't see why he shouldn't," added the Magpies boss.

"He really had a fantastic season last year."

Meanwhile the Magpies have confirmed the signing of teenager Mehdi Abeid from French side Lens.

The deal to bring the 18-year-old midfielder to the Barclays Premier League has been in place for some time, but the Magpies have now formalised the move on a five-year contract.

Reserve team manager Peter Beardsley said: "We are delighted to bring Mehdi to the club.

"He is a bright, young talent and we think he has an exciting future ahead of him.

"After an impressive trial with us earlier in the year, I'm looking forward to working with Mehdi and developing his talent."

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headlines/0,,12306~2384870,00.html

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock