Nigeria fines Airtel, three others

iS THAT ME

Reaction score
Nigeria fines Airtel, three others

Nigeria's telecom regulatory authority has fined Bharti Airtel and three other phone companies a total of 7.3 million dollars for providing poor services to customers.

Nigeria Communications Commission spokesman Reuben Muoka said the call quality of the four companies were poor and they also delivered poor services leading to imposition of the 7.3 million dollars fine on them.

The affected companies are Nigerian subsidiary of Bharti Airtel 'Airtel Nigeria', South Africa's MTN, Abu Dhabi's Etisalat and local Globacom.

Bharti Airtel officials could not be reached for comments.

The telecom regulatory authority had earlier in October 2011 warned the firms to improve their services or face sanctions, Muoka said.

A statement by NCC said poor performance in March and April attracted the penalty.

It said the firms' poor performance was noticed in January and February, adding that a grace period was added to enable them make some improvements but they failed to do so.

According to the reports, while Airtel faces a penalty of 1.68 million dollars, Etisalat and MTN will have to pay 2.25 million dollars each and Globacom faces a 1.125 million dollar fine.

Poor services by these companies make it difficult to receive or make calls in Nigeria. Their data services are equally poor. Many Nigerians prefer to carry more than one phone so they could have an alternative connections when one fails, officials said.

-TOI

Certainly is bad for us. With all the loses and fines, call rates are likely to go high up !

@iS THAT ME - Copy and Paste properly. The headlines and the contents are different. The news of Telenor is already posted by you in another thread.
@ssparikshya- please read atleast few lines before posting.

Sorry bro, see that news is there in bottom. I bychance added the telenor news also :(

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock