McIlroy left with bitter memories

• Thread starter BaLaG
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 0
  • Views: Views 1,228

BaLaG

Reaction score
Rory McIlroy was left with bitter memories of one hole in particular as he shot 74 in what is likely to be his last round in America for over six months.

The 22-year-old US Open champion played Atlanta Athletic Club's 475-yard third in six over par during the USPGA Championship - and the other 17 in the same score.

Not only that, but it was also where he injured his right arm hitting against a tree root in the opening round of the season's final major.

McIlroy triple-bogeyed it in his last round, going over the green from a bunker and then three-putting from three feet, as he finished well outside the top 50 in an event he went into as clear favourite.

The Northern Ireland star is rejoining the PGA Tour next season, but his next appearance on the circuit may not be until the WGC-Accenture Match Play in late February.

He had talked of going off house-hunting in Florida this coming week, but in a change of plan he was heading off to Cincinnati.

"I hear it's nice this time of year," he said with a smile. It just so happens that tennis world number one Caroline Wozniacki is playing there.

On not achieving what he wanted from the week, McIlroy added: "I have basically played 70 holes out of 72 not at 100%, so it was frustrating not to be able to play the way I wanted to.

"But I got through the tournament and I was proud of that and I am looking forward just to taking a couple of weeks off and making sure that I come back fully fit when I'm ready."

He hopes that will be the European Masters - the first Ryder Cup qualifying event - in Switzerland on September 1-4.

Asked if he was wiser now after what happened, he replied: "I think so. If I get myself in the position again where there's a tree root right next to my ball I might think twice about what shot I'm going to play.

"I am going to take a couple of weeks off to rest the wrist. I'm going to Cincinnati for a few days, home for the weekend and then go back out to New York.

"It will be nice and I will enjoy my two weeks off."

Why New York? The US Open tennis begins on August 29, with a warm-up event at nearby Yale University, where Wozniacki has won the last three years.

Padraig Harrington also finished 12 over par and is altering his movements as well. He has entered this week's Wyndham Championship in North Carolina to try to qualify for the PGA Tour FedEx Cup play-offs.

He too shot 74, while McIlroy's playing partner Ross Fisher had a 69 for five over.

As for the title race, little-known pair Brendan Steele and Jason Dufner led by one on seven under from their fellow American Keegan Bradley.

Steele and Bradley, whose aunt Pat won six majors, are both playing the first majors of their careers, while Dufner has not won on the PGA Tour in nearly 150 starts.

World top two Luke Donald and Lee Westwood resumed five behind after bad finishes yesterday and remained one under after one and two holes respectively.

Among those who made an early move was Sergio Garcia, birdies at the fifth and sixth - driveable after the tee was moved forward over 100 yards - taking him to joint eighth on two under.

Garcia bogeyed the eighth, but made amends straightaway to turn in 33 and two under.

Phil Mickelson was alongside him in eighth after birdies at the fifth and sixth and Donald was there too when he picked up his first shot on the third, McIlroy's hole.

Westwood, though, missed yet more chances in reeling off five pars in a row.

Bradley made it a three-way tie at the top with an opening 25-foot birdie putt. He had double-bogeyed the same hole in the third round.

Steele then bogeyed it after going from one bunker to another, while Donald was up to sixth with a second birdie of the day on the sixth and Westwood up to 11th when he made three on the 467-yard eighth.

Bradley bogeyed the third after missing the green, but was back alongside Dufner - pars all the way for him so far - when he splashed out of sand to four feet on the long fifth.

They were seven under, one ahead of Verplank and two in front of Steele and Dane Anders Hansen, who birdied the third and then almost sank a 30-footer for eagle on the sixth.

Donald was only three back and sixth after an 18-foot putt at the 10th and Westwood could have joined him from 10 feet at the 11th, but saw it slide by and he remained ninth on his own.

REad more...

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock