MCC Bicentenary Match News & Updates

• Thread starter Basil
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 44
  • Views: Views 5,437

Basil

Staff member
Reaction score
[align=center]Sachin Tendulkar, Shane Warne to captain Marylebone Cricket Club and Rest of World XI at Lord’s
[/align]

Sachin-Tendulkar1.jpg

Legendary cricketers Sachin Tendulkar and Shane Warne will lead (MCC) and Rest of World teams respectively in a 50-over exhibition match on Saturday July five at Lord’s.

(MCC) and Rest of World teams respectively in a 50-over exhibition match on Saturday July five at Lord’s.

MCC’s team will be managed by Mike Gatting and will include Rahul Dravid as well. The Rest of the World XI will be managaed by the former South Africa all-rounder, Shaun Pollock as reported by Lord’s official website.

On the other side, England captain Charlotte Edwards will lead MCC XI in the women’s match against Rest of World team on 19 May. The captains for both teams were announced by Gatting on fifth February in the Lord’s Long Room.

Actually, Tendulkar has already appeared at Lord’s in such a game, having captained the Rest of the World side in the Diana Princess of Wales Memorial match in 1998.

Tendulkar said, “It is an honour to be asked to captain MCC in such a prestigious fixture, and I am delighted to accept. Lord’s is such a special place to play cricket and I am very much looking forward to help celebrate its bicentenary by taking part in this match. I was delighted to be presented with an MCC Honorary Life Membership in 2010, and it will be a privilege to play at the Home of Cricket once again.”

Warne said, “I always enjoy playing at Lord’s and as an Honorary Life Member of MCC I’m really excited about coming back. I’m sure the match will be a lot of fun and it will be a pleasure to be part of the bicentenary celebrations of the most famous cricket ground in the world.”

MCC President Gatting stated, “Lord’s is so well revered around the world and these matches will be hugely memorable occasions.

“MCC is very grateful to have been able to secure players of the calibre of Sachin Tendulkar, Shane Warne, Rahul Dravid and Charlotte Edwards to take part in them.

He concluded, “This news is an exciting start to the Lord’s Bicentenary celebrations, and we are expecting to announce many more big names in the coming weeks.”

RE: Sachin Tendulkar, Shane Warne to captain Marylebone Cricket Club and Rest of World XI

Good news..

Sachin Tendulkar, Shane Warne to captain Marylebone Cricket Club and Rest of World XI

Is this match going to telecast in India?

RE: Sachin Tendulkar, Shane Warne to captain Marylebone Cricket Club and Rest of World XI

Yes of course , i think.

Afridi, Ajmal to play at MCC bicentenary

Afridi, Ajmal to play at MCC bicentenary

5c5835b059705d5c5d96d0c4ac197c662242c598.jpg

178609.jpg

Pakistan's Shahid Afridi and Saeed Ajmal have joined several other leading international cricketers in being confirmed for this year's Lord's bicentenary match, it was announced on Monday.

Bangladesh batsman Tamim Iqbal will also take part in the July 5 fixture which celebrates the 200th anniversary of the current Lord's ground in north-west London.

The match will be between Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC), which owns Lord's, and a Rest of the World XI.

The MCC XI will be captained by India hero Sachin Tendulkar while the Rest of the World side will be led by Australia great Shane Warne.

All the three Asian stars confirmed Monday for the fixture have enjoyed previous success at Lord's.

Afridi, arguably the most dynamic batsman of his generation, produced a match-winning performance when he made 54 not out in Pakistan's 2009 ICC World Twenty20 final victory over Sri Lanka at Lord's and also played his last Test at the 'home of cricket' a year later.

Off-spinner Ajmal also played in the 2009 World Twenty20 final.

Meanwhile Iqbal has a coveted place on the Lord's honours board having, as a 21-year-old, made 103 in the second innings of the first Test against England in 2010 -- the first century at the ground by a Bangladeshi batsman. That match, his only previous appearance at the ground, also saw Iqbal make 55 in the first innings.

"Lord's is always a wonderful place to play cricket and I'm really looking forward to going back there," said Afridi in a MCC statement.

"It's going to be great to be involved in the Lord's Bicentenary celebrations and I'd like to thank MCC for inviting me to take part in the game.

"There are plenty of great players on the team sheet for this match and I can't wait to share a pitch with them again - especially in such an amazing setting."

MCC president Mike Gatting, the former England captain, added: "The latest names to be confirmed for this match make it even more of an exciting prospect.

"MCC has asked the best players in world cricket to come and celebrate the Lord's Bicentenary by playing in this match and I'm delighted that three more have accepted.

"It shows the standing of the club and this marvellous ground that players of the quality of Shahid, Saeed and Tamim want to come and be part of these celebrations."

Australia wicket-keeping great Adam Gilchrist, India's Rahul Dravid and Yuvraj Singh, West Indies' mainstay Shivnarine Chanderpaul and New Zealand left-arm spinner Daniel Vettori are all due to play in the match as well.

MCC, founded in 1787, moved to its present site in the north-west London suburb of St John's Wood in 1814, with the ground owned by entrepreneur Thomas Lord -- hence its name.

Although it is more than 40 years since MCC ceased to run English cricket, it retains worldwide responsibility for the game's 'Laws', as cricket's rules are known.

© AFP

Afridi, Ajmal to play at MCC bicentenary - Cricbuzz

Brian Lara to Play Alongside Sachin Tendulkar in Lord's Bicentenary

sachin_lara_twitter_300.jpg

Manchester:
West Indies legend Brian Lara on Wednesday joined fellow all-time batting great Sachin Tendulkar of India and became the latest entry in the star-studded list of players who will participate in the MCC v Rest of the World Lord's Bicentenary match on July 5.

Lara will play alongside India's Sachin Tendulkar for MCC, with Australia's Aaron Finch, currently the world's leading Twenty20 batsman, also in the hosts line-up, besides other legends such as Shane Warne and Adam Gilchrist.

Australia paceman Peter Siddle, a thorn in England's side during the Ashes, will join Nottinghamshire team-mate and former Test wicket-keeper Chris Read in the MCC side.

Fast bowlers Umar Gul of Pakistan and Tino Best are the final names to be added to the MCC and Rest of the World sides respectively.

Tendulkar will captain an MCC XI that also includes another retired India batting star in Rahul Dravid, Pakistan off-spinner Saeed Ajmal and former Australia fast bowler Brett Lee.

Warne, arguably cricket's greatest leg-spinner, will captain a Rest of the World XI that includes his former Hampshire team-mate Kevin Pietersen as well as Sri Lanka's Muttiah Muralitharan and Pakistan's Shahid Afridi.

"Lord's always holds a very special place in any cricketer's heart, and I am very much looking forward to helping celebrate its Bicentenary with MCC," Lara said in a statement.

"It was an honour to be asked to be involved and it will be fantastic to play at such an iconic place on such a special occasion."

Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC), founded in 1787, moved to its present site in the north-west London suburb of St John's Wood in 1814, with the ground then owned by Thomas Lord --hence its name -- before the club bought him out.

Lord's Bicentenary Match teams

MCC: Sachin Tendulkar (IND, capt), Saeed Ajmal (PAK), Shivnarine Chanderpaul (WIS), Rahul Dravid (IND), Aaron Finch (AUS), Umar Gul (PAK), Brian Lara (WIS), Brett Lee (AUS), Chris Read (ENG, wkt), Shaun Tait (AUS), Daniel Vettori (NZL)

Rest of the World: Shane Warne (AUS, capt), Shahid Afridi (PAK), Tino Best(WIS), Paul Collingwood (ENG), Adam Gilchrist (AUS, wkt), Tamim Iqbal (BAN), Muttiah Muralitharan (SRI), Kevin Pietersen (ENG), Virender Sehwag (IND), Peter Siddle (AUS), Yuvraj Singh (IND).

Star Sports To Broadcast MCC Bicentenary Match

Star Sports is Going to Broadcast MCC Bicentenary Match on July 5 :eek:hya:):win:k

It is confirmed that the match will be broadcast live on SkySports in the UK and on Star Sports in India.

Lords.org will host exclusive radio coverage of the match, available to stream online around the world.

Source:-MCC v Rest of the World - 5 July

Sachin Tendulkar looking forward to batting with fellow great Brian Lara at Lord’s for cricket’s 200th anniversary celebrations

269386-5b788726-eb2b-11e3-bb45-046f3d36ad52.jpg

RETIRED Indian legend Sachin Tendulkar says he is savouring the opportunity to pair up with West Indies great Brian Lara at Lord’s for an exhibition match marking the home of cricket’s 200th anniversary.

Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) last month confirmed Lara would join a MCC XI captained by Tendulkar and also including Australia’s Aaron Finch, India’s Rahul Dravid and Pakistan offspinner Saeed Ajmal.

The side will play a Rest of the World XI captained by Shane Warne and featuring Sri Lanka’s Muttiah Muralitharan and England’s Kevin Pietersen in a 50-over match on July 5.

Tendulkar said he and Lara played together in 1994 in Toronto in the Sky Dome.

“We played for the same team and we had a wonderful partnership. So I’m hoping for another one this time,” he told reporters on Tuesday at the Singapore Cricket Club.

Tendulkar is in the city-state for a promotional tour.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

“It’s always been a joy to play against him. I loved watching Brian scoring runs against other nations - not India,” Tendulkar said.

Tendulkar, who held a masterclass for young cricketers on Tuesday, said it was surely possible for cricket minnows Singapore to host top events.

The wealthy city-state has a rising number of Indian expatriates and, later in June, will open a new national stadium that can be converted into a 35,000-seat cricket arena.

“I don’t see any reason why not... whenever we played here in Singapore, the response was really good,” said Tendulkar, 41, who retired last year as the world’s leading batsman in Test and one-day cricket.

“As a cricketer, I feel proud that various nations are taking initiatives in constructing state-of-the-art stadiums and making sure that every measure is taken to globalise the game,” he said. Tendulkar also said investigations by the International Cricket Council (ICC) into corruption were crucial.

“I think the concerned people are taking really important steps because it is critical for the game to make sure that the spectators ... watch a fair competition,” he said.

ICC chief executive Dave Richardson said last month an inquiry into a match and spot-fixing scandal which rocked world cricket was entering its final stages.

RE: Star Sports To Broadcast MCC Bicentenary Match

eagerly waiting for this match:sp:sp:sp:sp

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock