List of flag bearers for India at Olympics opening ceremony

rahul1117kumar

Contributor
Reaction score
One of the most exciting aspect of any Olympic event is the opening ceremony. And in that, the parade of nations makes for an interesting affair with an entire nation watching to see which all athletes appear, to see their national flag be visible to all, and even what the athletes wear away from their respective sports.

At the parade, countries are called out based on their first letter in the host nation’s language. In India’s case, that won’t be a problem with no difference in Portuguese (Brazil’s official language). However United States would go much earlier than it did at the London Olympics (Estados Unidos).

For India, the flag bearer will be Olympic medallist from Beijing Abhinav Bindra. Bindra, competing in his fifth Olympics, was selected ahead of the likes of Yogeshwar Dutt, Vijender Singh and Leander Paes.

Athlete Purma Banerjee was the first Indian Olympian to become the flag bearer for the Indian contingent at the 1920 Olympics in Antwerp, Belgium. Since then, Balbir Singh Sr has carried the flag twice (1952 and 1956 Olympics) with athlete Shiny Abraham-Wilson becoming the first woman.

The entire list of flag bearers at Summer Olympics:

1920 – Purma Banerjee

1932 – Lal Shah Bhokhari

1936 – Major Dhyan Chand

1952 – Balbir Singh Sr.

1956 – Balbir Singh Sr.

1964 – Gurbachan Singh Randhawa

1972 – D.N. Devine Jones

1984 – Zafar Iqbal

1988 – Kartar Dhillon Singh

1992 – Shiny Abraham-Wilson

1996 – Pargat Singh

2000 – Leander Paes

2004 – Anju Bobby George

2008 – Rajyavardhan Rathore

2012 – Sushil Kumar

2016 – Abhinav Bindra

From Purma Banerjee at Antwerp to Abhinav Bindra at Rio Olympics: List of flag bearers for India at Olympics opening ceremony | The Indian Express

Thanx for share bro .. But i am keep on telling plz share all the updates abt Rio olympics 2016 in the below thread
  • . ---
  • But you not intrested and creating New threads for the info regarding Rio :s:dodgy:( ..

Sai bro, it was general thread about for entire list of flag bearers at Summer Olympics so i posted here, for any Rio Olympics update I would update there only i have already updated yesterday some information there. thanks

rahul1117kumar said:
Sai bro, it was general thread about for entire list of flag bearers at Summer Olympics so i posted here, for any Rio Olympics update I would update there only i have already updated yesterday some information there. thanks

Ok bro if all the info in one thread access could be easy our bros :) .. So only told bro :) Dont Mistake me hope you understand :) - Thanks for ur updates bro :luv ..

Sai Jai said:
Ok bro if all the info in one thread access could be easy our bros :) .. So only told bro :) Dont Mistake me hope you understand :) - Thanks for ur updates bro :luv ..

no problem bro, I would update all the Rio Olympics information in one thread only. thanks

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock