• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 0
  • Views Views: Views 654

Basil

Contributor
Reaction score
It would be an honour to be back as bowling coach, says Venkatesh Prasad

prasaducc300199.jpg

New Delhi: Former India pacer Venkatesh Prasad, who was sacked by the BCCI in 2009 as the country's bowling coach, on Tuesday said he would love to return to his former role.

"Obviously, it would be an honour to be the bowling coach. I am always ready to help out if my services are sought. I believe I have the credentials," Prasad told reporters in New Delhi.

He also hinted that Zaheer Khan is past his prime as his second spell is becoming a "struggle" for the left-arm speedster and also stated that none of the current India bowlers has required variation to bowl with new field restrictions in ODI cricket.

"Zaheer is a great bowler but I think his second spell is slowly becoming a struggle. Also his fielding is also a concern. You have to understand that he is 35 years old. He has made his debut some 14 years back in Nairobi in ICC Champions Trophy. There has been a lot of wear and tear on his body," Prasad said on the sidelines of a promotional event of Canara Bank to unveil Shikhar Dhawan as a Brand ambassador.

Speaking about bowling in the death overs, Prasad said that bowlers needed to train hard to master the art and be more consistent.

"The bowlers need to be more consistent in the death overs. They need to train in an environment where you constantly trying variations and yorkers."

Prasad, who was the bowling coach of the victorious World T20 winning squad. Prasad is hopeful that India will do well in World T20 with Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Yuvraj Singh and Suresh Raina back in the team.

"India have a good chance to win the Twenty20 World Cup this year in Bangladesh with the seniors like Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Suresh Raina and Yuvraj Singh back in the team."

On batting legend Sunil Gavaskar picking Rahul Dravid as the next Indian team coach, Prasad said: "Gavaskar words carry weight. He must have said it after a great though. We all know the credentials of Dravid. He has been great player, his planning and execution is perfect. I hope BCCI takes a right call," he said

Back
Top Bottom