• Thread starter Thread starter Karthik
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 540
  • Views Views: Views 45,462
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunrisers Hyderabad
Last updated on: April 2, 2013 08:10 IST

Sunrisers Hyderabad are the latest entrants to the IPL and will be keen to make an impact from the start. However, their line-up doesn't inspire confidence.

Their set-up has some of the biggest names in cricket. Tom Moody is the coach, former India batting great VVS Laxman the mentor and Waqar Younis the bowling coach.

India's batting sensation Shikhar Dhawan will the player to watch out for after his smashing century against Australia on Test debut.

Kumar Sangakkara, who will continue as skipper, is another name to reckon with, as are fast bowler Dale Steyn and Ishant Sharma.

Thisara Perera was their biggest purchase at this year's auction, for $675,000. The franchise will be counting on him to play a stellar role both bat and ball.

Darren Sammy, Sudeep Tyagi, Clinton McKay, Nathan McCullum and Quinton De Kock were the other players, who were bought this year.

Knight Riders to begin title defence against Daredevils
Last updated on: April 2, 2013 13:35 IST

Eyeing a repeat of their success last season, Kolkata Knight Riders will open their title defence with a clash against a depleted Delhi Daredevils in the Indian Premier League in Kolkata on Wednesday.

Expectations will be high from the home side as they would aim to become only second team to win back-to-back titles.

Only Chennai Super Kings have won consecutive trophies (2010 and 2011).For Delhi, who are yet to win the title, it would be a season to make amends as they look at life without English swashbuckler Kevin Pietersen who has been ruled out for the entire tournament due to a knee injury.

Delhi will also miss out on explosive Kiwi batsman Jesse Ryder who was to begin his $300,000 contract before a brutal assault in a Christchurch bar left him hospitalised.

Morkel to miss the opener for Delhi

Last season's Purple cap holder, Albie Morkel (25 wickets), who bowled Titans to a semis place in the Ram Slam T20 Challenge in the South Africa domestic cricket, will also miss out on the opener.

And if that was not enough, Virender Sehwag is also a doubtful starter for tomorrow's tournament-opener as he is down with back spams.

"He is having back spasm. We have no idea when he's joining the side the side. We will take a call after he's here," coach Eric Simons said.

Having recovered from jaundice, KKR skipper Gautam Gambhir will be eager to start on a winning note under conditions best suited to them.

It would be an important season for the India opener, who went through a rough patch and was discarded for the four-Test Australia series. The left-hander would be keen to be back among runs.

Rampaul eager to be part of RCB's playing XI
April 02, 2013 15:51 IST

West Indies' [ Images ] Ravi Rampaul made a significant contribution to his team's success during the Twenty20 [ Images ] World Cup last year and now the pacer is eager to replicate that performance in the Indian Premier League [ Images ], commencing.

"Hopefully I can transfer that performance in this year's IPL," Rampaul, who is a part of the Royal Challengers [ Images ] Bangalore side, said.

He also said that he wanted to be a part of RCB's playing XI during the sixth edition of the mega-event. RCB will open their campaign against Mumbai Indians [ Images ] on Thursday.

"RCB is shaping up well as our batsmen are looking in good form. I want to be part of the team. Only thing I just need to work on my batting for the selectors to take note of it," Rampaul told reporters.

Talking about his experience of bowling on Indian pitches, the medium pacer said that he has a lot of experience bowling in all types of wickets.

"I have played a couple of Tests and One-dayers in India. Hopefully, I will deliver this time too. I am just looking forward for the action to commence," said Rampaul.

He further added that he is looking forward to work with the bowling coach Venkatesh Prasad.

Rampaul, who got injured in the beginning of this year, said after he recovered he had been playing domestic matches in the Caribbeans.

"Hopefully when the IPL kickstarts, I am raring to go," he added.

Rampaul said the West Indies have made a lot of impact in Twenty20 cricket, which is reflected in so many West Indians being picked up by the various IPL franchises.

Stating that Chris Gayle's [ Images ] presence would give RCB an extra boost, he said, "Having such a player in the side, not only boosts my confidence, but also bodes well for the team."

Time to play fearless cricket: Gambhir
Last updated on: April 2, 2013 14:16 IST

Kolkata Knight Riders skipper Gautam Gambhir said the defending champions tag would not put any pressure on his team, which would look to play fearless cricket when it takes on Delhi Daredevils in the IPL opener in Kolkata on Wednesday.

-Knight Riders to begin title defence against Daredevils

-IPL: Delhi Daredevils in troub#8804 Sehwag doubtful for opener

-IPL 6: How the nine teams measure up

"We've got the monkey off our back. Now is the time to go out there and play fearless cricket," Gambhir said.

"Being the defending champions does not add to the pressure, it only gives us some extra confidence. KKR is a very popular team off the cricket field as well."

'I don't play for individual things'

Asked whether he was looking at IPL VI as a platform to stake claim for national selection after the recent axing, Gambhir said, "I see this IPL as being the defending champions. I don't play for individual things. I play for a team called KKR and I play as the defending champions nothing more than that."

Gambhir reiterated the team mantra and said the absence of New Zealand explosive opener Brendon McCullum, nursing a hamstring problem, would not hurt the team's cause.

"We've got a lot of quality in the dressing room. Now is the time to go out there and step up to the opportunity," he said about McCullum who has been ruled out for KKR's opening match.

'We just want to play quality cricket'

Delhi will miss out on Morne Morkel as the South African is representing his domestic side Titans in the Ram Slam T20 Challenge.

On Morkel, Gambhir said: "We don't want to talk about howX, Y, Z player would be. We don't think about particular individuals. We're playing a game of cricket and it's a teamsport."

The match would be played on a virgin Eden track which was laid recently and Gambhir hoped it would bring luck for his side.

"We just want to play quality cricket and ensure that all areas are covered. We don't talk much about the wicket. The surface is newly-laid and we hope it turns out lucky for us and help us start on a winning note," he said.

Everyone has to fire

Yusuf Pathan had a woeful last season but Gambhir said not just the Baroda all-rounder, everybody in the team need to fire.

"It's not only him, everyone has to fire. I don't talk about individuals. It's a team sport. Let's talk about the team. It gives maximum pleasure if the team does well," he explained.

Gambhir also praised the team's bowling effort last season."It was not only (Sunil) Narine, bowlers like Jacques Kallis, L Balaji, who was most economical, contributed to the team's cause. We all are ready for the challenge tomorrow."

Meanwhile, coach Trevor Bayliss lauded pace spearhead Brett Lee and said the Aussie was relishing his new role as bowling mentor.

"He has done a good job so far. We have had three-four practice sessions together. He has played a permanent role. I'm sure as we go along, the team will benefit from his contribution," Bayliss said.

Hamstring injury rules McCullum out

Among the foreign recruits, KKR will miss Brendon McCullum, who is down with a hamstring problem, while the recently-married Shakib Al Hasan is yet to report to the side.

West Indian mystery spinner Sunil Narine, the second leading wicket-taker behind Morkel with 24 scalps, was instrumental in KKR's success last season.

KKR will now hope to unleash another 'mystery' spinner in Lankan offie Sachitra Senanayake in the upcoming season.

Jacques Kallis will lend experience to the middle order, while the home grown players of Laxmi Ratan Shukla, Manoj Tiwary, Manvinder Bisla and Debabrata Das would also come in handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom