International Premier Tennis League 2016

rahul1117kumar

Contributor
Reaction score
The third leg and finals of the Mahesh Bhupathi-promoted International Premier Tennis League 2016 will be held here next month with the IPTL India franchise Indian Aces shifting base from New Delhi to Hyderabad.

Bhupathi said some of the best tennis players in the world would be coming to Hyderabad for the event.

"Personally, I am very excited to come here. Obviously, an event of this magnitude, we have team (Indian Aces) owners they were looking at various options across the country after they decided, we want to move from Delhi. They explored Kolkata, they explored Mumbai, they explored Ahmedabad and they even explored Bangalore," Bhupathi told reporters here on Thursday.

"But, it was a very recent decision. I was fortunate enough to come and meet the minister (Telangana IT Minister KT Rama Rao). In 48 hours, we got all the support we needed and, with infrastructure as well, to be able to host (the event) here," he added.

Bhupathi said all four IPTL teams would be playing at the Gachibowli stadium on December 9 and 10, followed by the IPTL finals on December 11.

The first two legs will be in Tokyo and Singapore before culminating in Hyderabad.

The matches would be played in the indoor stadium and the format of the event would be the same (round robin) as last year with the teams playing each other.

"Like in last year, we have the final in Singapore, this year the final is in Hyderabad," he said.

Rama Rao, who is the president of Telangana State Tennis Association, said he had invited Bhupathi to conduct the event in Hyderabad when he met him.

Bhupathi consulted the team owners and took the decision to conduct the event in Hyderabad, Rama Rao said, adding that the Telangana government would support it fully.

"We are excited to be moving home base from Delhi to Hyderabad to connect with a new demography of the Indian tennis enthusiast. After two satisfying years in Delhi, the opportunity to call another city 'home of the Indian Aces' is both exhilarating and exciting. We look forward to having the city come out in large numbers to support our very own Indian Ace, home-girl Sania Mirza amongst a spectacular line-up of international tennis stars," a release issued by the organizers quoted Siddhesh Sharma, Co-Owner of the IPTL India franchise, the Indian Aces, as saying.

The third season of the IPTL will commence in Tokyo (December 2-4). It will then move to Singapore (December 6-8) and Hyderabad (December 9-11). The season will witness a total of 17 matches, with each of the four teams playing eight matches in a customised round robin format, the release said.

Following is the team composition for the third season of the IPTL, according to the release.

Japan Warriors : Kei Nishikori, Fernando Verdasco, Kurumi Nara, Jelena Jankovic, Fernando Gonzalez, Marat Safin and Jean-Julien Rojer.

UAE Royals: Tomas Berdych, Pablo Cuevas, Ana Ivanovic, Thomas Johansson and Danier Nestor

OUE Singapore Slammers: Serena Williams, Nick Kyrgios, Marcos Baghdatis, Kiki Bertens, Carloys Moya and Marcelo Melo.

Indian Aces: Feliciano Lopez, Iva Dodig, Eugenie Bouchard, Thomas Enqvist, Sania Mirza and Rohan Bopanna.

IPTL 2016: Mahesh Bhupathi confirms Hyderabad as venue for India leg, finals | Zee News

IPTL: Indian Aces trump Japan Warriors 30-17 in opener

The Indian Aces began their 2016 IPTL campaign with an easy 30-17 win over hosts Japan Warriors at the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan, on Friday.

Indian team's Kirsten Flipkens made the most of her return to the IPTL with a 6-2 win over Kurumi Nara in the women's singles. Flipkens hit 19 winners against the Japanese.

The Mixed Doubles contest was a thrilling one, decided on a shoot-out that also had a Power Point.

The Sania Mirza-Rohan Bopanna duo prevailed 6-5 against Jelena Jankovic and Jean-Julien Rojer.

The Legends set between Australian Mark Philippoussis and Russian Marat Safin was decided in a couple of points, where the former was more effective than the latter, winning 6-3.

The men's doubles match didn't disappoint either with a great clash between experts but again, the away side got the upper hand as Feliciano López and Ivan Dodig kept the momentum going and denied Jean-Julien Rojer and Fernando Verdasco the win with a 6-2 scoreline.

The match finished with a Spanish derby between two great friends, Feliciano López and Fernando Verdasco. The Indians made a five out of five with a López 6-5 win on a shoot-out.

"Mark served pretty well. I had a few chances but it is the way it is. We finished last last year so hopefully we won't do it again this year. It was just the first day and I think everybody was a little bit nervous. Kurumi was playing under a lot of pressure probably because she wanted to delight the home crowd. I am sure she will be more relaxed during the next matches," Safin said.

"I want to say thank you to the fans. It is really nice to see people that still remember you from the old days and they cheer you up no matter if you are winning or losing. They are still there. It is very cute to see," he added.

Mark Philippoussis said," I am really happy with the way I played today. It was very important to get the points right at the beginning because Marat is a very strong player. I was very pleased with the team outcome and how everybody played."

IPTL: Indian Aces trump Japan Warriors 30-17 in opener - Rediff Sports

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock