Intel chip flaws leave millions of devices exposed

sumitroy

Editor-in-chief, OnlyTech
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Security researchers have raised the alarm for years about the Intel remote administration feature known as the Management Engine. The platform has a lot of useful features for IT managers, but it requires deep system access that offers a tempting target for attackers; compromising the Management Engine could lead to full control of a given computer. Now, after several research groups have uncovered ME bugs, Intel has confirmed that those worst-case fears may be possible.

On Monday, the chipmaker released a security advisory that lists new vulnerabilities in ME, as well as bugs in the remote server management tool Server Platform Services, and Intel’s hardware authentication tool Trusted Execution Engine. Intel found the vulnerabilities after conducting a security audit spurred by recent research. It has also published a Detection Tool so Windows and Linux administrators can check their systems to see if they're exposed.

Intel Chip Flaws Leave Millions of Devices Exposed

More reason to worry.

The researchers also play with a sinister property of the ME: It can run even when a computer is “off” (just so long as the device is plugged in), because it is on a separate microprocessor, and essentially acts as a totally separate computer. :ouch:

Intel says they can even be used to “load and execute arbitrary code outside the visibility of the user and operating system.” This is the crucial danger of the ME. If exploited, it can operate totally separate from the main computer, meaning that many ME attacks wouldn’t raise red flags. :damn:

Why should we pay to antivirus then ? I am done no payment to kaspersky from now on :dodgy:

Last edited:
Thank god.I am on amd.There are some pros on being on less popular hardware.

Thank god.I am on amd.There are some pros on being on less popular hardware.
AMD has platform security processor which works like Intel management engine

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock