Indian Railways makes Aadhar cards mandatory for IRCTC rail ticket bookings


1 Jun 2013
Reaction score
New Delhi: As per the new Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) directive, Aadhar cards will soon be mandatory to book rail tickets.
This initiative that was taken up by the Indian Railways is a push for an Adhaar card-based ecosystem in the country. 
According to recent data, 96% of the Indian population already have an Adhaar card and the remaining 4% will apply for their Adhaar cards with the IRCTC's new directive to be implemented in the coming months. 
As per reports, the rule is applicable for both reserved and unreserved categories. It would also be mandatory for online as well as counter tickets. As per the new directive, a commuter must have an Adhhar card in order to book a rail ticket. 
This directive will also facilitate a direct transfer of fund for concession under various quotas such as senior citizens, freedom fighters, differently abled, students and unemployed youths. 
The directive which would be effective from December 2016 will create a centralised, well-documented and live database of passengers which would be helpful for the Railway Department. This would even keep a check on fraud bookings by unauthorised agents.
Sai Laxman said:
But Aadhar card not reached 100% people in India :( ..

But 100% people not travelling in train  :shy

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock