• Thread starter Thread starter ABCDEFGH
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 1
  • Views Views: Views 566

ABCDEFGH

Reaction score
India slip in ICC ODI and T20I rankings

prv_8aa00_1462354491.jpg

Australia and New Zealand, the two finalists of the 2015 Cricket World Cup, have retained their top two positions in the latest ICC (International Cricket Council) ODI team rankings, announced by the game's apex body on Wednesday. The results from the 2012-13 season has been dropped, while the value of results from 2014-15 has been reduced to half its weightage.

The two semi-finalists of last year's World Cup, India and South Africa, have swapped places and are now ranked four and three respectively. Bangladesh, who enjoyed a renaissance, especially at home, are now ranked seventh while Pakistan, who have struggled for supremacy in the 50-over format of the game, slipped to nine in the latest updates. Afghanistan, steadily rising as an emerging force gained four places to be ranked 11, while England and West Indies rose two places to be ranked sixth and eighth respectively.

With only 10 teams in the fray for the upcoming 2019 Cricket World Cup, the ICC have announced that September 30, 2017 will be cut-off date for the tournament, scheduled to be held in England. As hosts, England will gain a direct entry along with the other seven highest ranked teams. The bottom four will then fight it out with the toppers of the ICC World Cricket League, to determine the final two slots of the tournament, the qualification round of which will be played in 2018.

The ICC will release another revised ranking list in May, 2017, but as of now, the results of the next few matches are very significant, especially for teams who are in the middle and lower half of the list. The results of the matches played between now and the next revised ranking list will be weighed at 100%, while the results of the matches played between May, 2014 and April, 2016 will only receive 50% weightage.

The ICC also released the updated rankings for teams in the T20I format of the game. The 2016 World T20 semi-finalists, New Zealand, gained 12 points to edge ahead of India, the previous number one ranked T20I team. Despite emerging as winners of 2016 World T20, West Indies, slipped to number three while the 2014 champions, Sri Lanka, fell to number eight.

India slip in ICC ODI and T20I rankings | Cricbuzz.com

Back
Top Bottom