• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 0
  • Views Views: Views 946

Basil

Contributor
Reaction score
India skipper Virat Kohli feeling MS Dhoni's absence at Asia Cup

dhoni-virat_1802getty_630.jpg

Virat Kohli was asked in the eleventh hour to lead Team India at the Asia Cup - after MS Dhoni was ruled out due to a side strain - and Kohli admits that it will be a "big change" to not have Dhoni around.

"He [Dhoni] has been a very important player and led the team very well. We have been consistent in one-dayers and one big reason has been his consistency and captaincy. Not having him will be a big change. But I am sure these guys will be eagerly waiting to grab their opportunities," Kohli said at his first press conference after arriving in Dhaka.

Kohli has for long now been talked about as the successor to Dhoni, but Asia Cup will be by far his biggest challenge to date. And Kohli admits that. "I have only captained in about eight games now. They have been pretty good but it's a big tournament, my first as a captain. It's a challenge I am looking forward to," Kohli said.

"These things [succeeding Dhoni as skipper] have been said for a while. I don't look into something unless I am appointed. I don't think I need to change my approach too much. I felt I need to take more responsibility as a batsman. I'm very excited to be captain in this tournament," Kohli said.

Kohli also felt that the tournament provides the team a chance to prove its detractors wrong after winless tours of South Africa and News Zealand. "I think it's a great chance when people think that we aren't in the best of forms; to come out of this phase is a challenge that we will like to relish."

Much of the talk about his tournament surrounds the India-Pakistan match on March 2, but Kohli says the team is here to win the tournament and focusing on just one much. "We haven't just come here to play one game and go back home. Playing against Pakistan is always a very hyped game for us. We take every game the same way and the aim is to win the tournament ... We will like to go all the way and win the tournament," Kohli concluded.

India skipper Virat Kohli feeling MS Dhoni's absence at Asia Cup

Back
Top Bottom