Ian Chappell, Australian cricket great, criticises pink ball

Chinmay Kore

Banned
Reaction score
AUSSIE Test legend Ian Chappell has shared his concerns over the suitability of a pink Kookaburra ball being used this summer.

The former Test batsman says spectators could be the big losers of the switch to a pink ball for day-night Test cricket because it is harder to pick up from the fence.

Chappell says a white ball would be better suited to Test cricket, despite the ongoing experiment with the pink ball.

Australia and New Zealand will play in the first day-night Test at the Adelaide Oval from November 27, the third Test of the series.

“The only point I’d make is I really do think that the ideal ball is white in colour,” Chappell told ESPN Cricinfo.

“But obviously at the moment they haven’t got a white ball that is good enough to last because I don’t like the idea of having a new ball at each end in Test cricket.

“I just think that’s a bit too radical for Test cricket and it might destroy the balance between bat and ball and it might have an adverse affect on spin bowling.

Ian Chappell is the latest critic of the pink ball.Source:News Corp Australia
“I would love them to get to the white ball because I think it’s better for the players and it’s most definitely better for the spectators.

“It’s much easier to pick up. I’ve spoken to some of the guys who have played day-night Sheffield Shield matches with the pink ball and they say one of the problems is the crowd complaining they can’t see the ball too well.”

It came as fellow former Test captain Steve Waugh said the Australian players, including captain Steve Smith, need to stop being precious and get used to the slightly greater challenge of playing with a pink ball.

Waugh admitted batting at night will make it more difficult for batsmen to score big totals, but doesn’t believe the added challenge should be a major concern.

“We’ll get over the fact that it’s pink,” Waugh said. “Maybe it’s fractionally harder.

Australian cricketers haven’t warmed to the pink ball just yet.Source:AFP
“It’s still round and it’s still the same weight (as a red Kookaburra Test Match ball).

“Players will be able to see it. It’s more a safety net or excuse for the players if they don’t make runs.

“They’ll be able to see it. It has to be easier than playing with a white ball on a white pitch.”

Australian Cricketers’ Association President Greg Dyer inflamed the anxiety about how the pink ball will impact Test Cricket earlier this week by declaring the day-night fixture could be scrapped all together if the players are not happy.

“I’m not saying we’re at that point but if the players are expressing concern around it all I think we need to be very careful,” Dyer told Fairfax.

“We need to listen to the players and be absolutely confident that this thing is going to work. If it’s not, we play that game as a normal day fixture.

“I’m sure there’s lots of television scheduling and all sorts of issues around that but that’s only if we’re 100 per cent confident we’ll be successful.”
http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/cricket/australian-test-great-ian-chappell-doesnt-want-pink-or-red-balls-in-test-cricket/story-fndpt0dy-1227585217326

Bro please post all this types of News on General Cricket Discussion Thread :k

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock