Discussion How realistic pricing is Realme Airtel's carrier locked phone?

• Thread starter iDJ
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 10
  • Views: Views 3,818

Do you see any benefit in this carrier locked device?

• Yes.

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.

iDJ

Elite
Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
Dn3iW7d.jpg

I came across this phone called Realme C30 yesterday. It is a carrier locked phone. You need to keep an active Airtel plan of ₹199 and above plans every month to keep the phone unlocked. It's a Android and you can't install third party apps on locked version. You can unlock it by making ₹400 - ₹800 depending on variant. Saw on Airtel's website. Also FRC mandatory for first time user. So a mandatory recharge of ₹297. Unlocked version cost ₹6549 where locked version is ₹5549.

So what's the point of getting this? Isn't carrier locked supposed to be cheaper? If I compare Jio's and Airtel's plan that is 1.5 GB daily data plan. Difference is of ₹60. So in fifteen months you save ₹900 on Jio's recharge. If you use BSNL or Vi (selected user plan) it's much cheaper. You are basically saving ₹29 by keeping your phone tie-up to a sim provider.

Apart from (10 GB x 5) = 50 GB data voucher and secondary sim which also can be only used if you have an active plan on your tied up Airtel sim. There seems to no benefit there for users end specially on an Android Go device where you can't install any third party app.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reminding me the old days of CDMA phones.
Today’s kids hardly heard CDMA, GSM.
The major challenge used to be getting a non sim based CDMA phone of some other carrier programmed to connect to Rcom network.
I had got a Boost Mobile USA Moto G first gen CDMA phone and had got the R world guys to activate it on Rcom CDMA network and that felt like an achievement back then.

Tata Indicom was some Samsung phone. Right? I remember this was selling at our nearby grocery store.
I had 2 Samsung Tata Indicom phones (1 for GF) since late 2004 or early 2005. Recharge was required only to make calls to non-Indicom phones.

Yes a Samsung phone with blue color display
You have unlocked a memory. Now I remember owning Nokia 1600 felt so refreshing as it had colour display over owning phones with green and blue displays back than. My uncle gifted me one in 2007.

You have unlocked a memory. Now I remember owning Nokia 1600 felt so refreshing as it had colour display over owning phones with green and blue displays back than. My uncle gifted me one in 2007.
Yea same had Nokia 1600 I think it had 3 games Cricket, Football and 1 more

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock