Hernandez tells De Gea to talk more

• Thread starter BaLaG
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 0
  • Views: Views 987

BaLaG

Reaction score
Javier Hernandez has advised Manchester United teammate David De Gea that communication can be a barrier for foreign players playing in the Premier League.

Both players couldn't have had more contrasting introductions to life in English football.

The Mexican striker got off to a flying start last season, scoring 13 goals in 27 appearances and even managed to hold his spot in the starting eleven at the expense of Golden Boot winner Dimitar Berbatov.

De Gea, however, has been in the headlines for the wrong reasons so far, the Spain Under-21 goalkeeper criticised for being unable to handle shots from distance after conceding two such goals in the two competitive games he has started.

Manchester United director Sir Bobby Charlton has gone on record to state that de Gea's bumpy start could be due to difficulty in adjusting to life in England.

Hernandez has subsequently revealed that adapting to life in England is easier with a grasp of the language and having your family members around.

De Gea is currently attending English lessons daily and though his family did not move to England with him, his girlfriend, Spanish pop star Edurne, has flown over to be with him in Manchester.

Hernandez told the Daily Mail: "Moving to a new country is always difficult, but the fact my dad and my sister came to live with me was a huge help, that made things easier.

"What I miss most about Mexico isn't the food or the customs, it's my family and the way we'd all sit around chatting together.

"I spoke [English] pretty well when I first arrived here and since then I've been improving bit by bit, understanding more and more and speaking better.

"But the truth is that knowing English was a massive help, because it meant I could communicate in the dressing room and get to know my colleagues more quickly.

The United No.14 is currently out with a head injury but is expected to make his return to training next week. He will be hoping to continue his fine from last season to return the faith the fans and manager put in him.

He added: "I've been treated wonderfully in Manchester and I simply need to repay that faith. I had a very good first season and I hope to be able to contribute much more.

"I think there are good times ahead with this team and I'm very excited about the opportunities ahead in the coming season."

more..

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock